Eric Atreides

The Good Liar l November 15, 2019 l Ian McKellan and Helen Mirren l Directed by the guy who made the bad Beauty and the Beast movie

https://deadline.com/2018/11/the-good-liar-release-date-ian-mckellen-helen-mirren-bill-condon-warner-bros-1202502323/

Warner Bros has set a November 15, 2019, release date for The Good Liar, director Bill Condon’s drama starring English screen vets Ian McKellen and Helen Mirren.

Scripted by Jeffrey Hatcher based on the novel by pseudonymous author Nicholas Searle, it focuses on Roy (McKellen), a veteran conman and born liar who meets wealthy widow Betty (Mirren) online and believes she’s an easy mark. Roy is sure he can pull off the final coup of his career, but as the narrative entwines Roy’s and Betty’s futures, it also delves deeply into their pasts, revealing nearly a century of secrets. Before Roy can close the deal, there is a reckoning to be made.

Russell Tovey, Jim Carter, Mark Lewis Jones and Laurie Davidson co-star.

The Good Liar will face off a year from now against Universal holiday rom-com Last Christmas, Fox’s untitled Kingsman threequel and Warners’ own Melissa McCarthy holiday comedy Margie Claus.

4 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Not much talk about this one. I'm definitely seeing it. If not next weekend then definitely on Tuesday. Anyone else? Watching Sir Ian McKellan and Helen Mirren work together should be a treat.

Well, I have other film priorities, but I'd certainly love to see this.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

Well, I have other film priorities, but I'd certainly love to see this.

I hear you. That's why I agree with others who've said this movie could have really benefited from opening in a less crowded period on the calendar. Ironically though, for how crowded it is a lot of films this month seem to be calendar filler, so TGL might actually be propped up a bit as a result.

• Like 1

Sounds like even the negative reviews feature praise for McKellan and Mirren. Not surprised. Those two have sold the movie to me from Day 1. Unfortunately it's yet another movie not making it to my town so I have to wait for streaming. Sigh. Already missing Calgary.

3 minutes ago, Wrath said:

Someone in the Weekend thread described it as "One weird movie."

That was me. I saw it tonight. It was wild and fun, but kind of ridiculous. It kept taking different turns and there were a ton of plot holes. The ending was obvious after 5 minutes. 

• Like 1

This ended up having a good hold this past weekend: $3.4M for a 39.3% drop. Too bad it had such a small opening to begin with though.

Also it looks like I may get to see it after all at my small local theatre. They didn't bring it in when it opened but randomly it will be showing there starting Friday.