Kalo

2020 Box office discussion

1 minute ago, Alli said:

to me these two have the same audience. both movies star youngsters

Not really. Cruella will mostly skew towards families while West Side Story will aim largely for adults given it's a remake of a really old musical.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Not really. Cruella will mostly skew towards families while West Side Story will aim largely for adults given it's a remake of a really old musical.

Ansel appealing to adults so early in his career? wow the power of spielberg!

2 minutes ago, Alli said:

Only GOOD TIME  was good

Lost City of Z, Good Time, High Life, The Rover - and that's only the one's I've seen. Dude's incredible. Hope he gets Batman

• Disbelief 1

So, no Star Wars and no Avatar, and the MCU is likely only gonna have two low-key films (Black Widow and The Eternals). This means that the field is bizarrely open.

DOM, I think Wonder Woman 1984 will safely win the year and everything else will come at a distant second. WW, that's probably one of the top contenders alongside Fast And Furious 9, Godzilla Vs. Kong, maybe Minions 2, maybe the Mulan remake..... but honestly, I kinda have a feeling that the big winner might actually be Bond 25. It's presumably the last Craig Bond film (I know, so was Spectre, but Spectre was basically a big whoof in the wind and I don't think Craig wanted to go out on anything less than a boom note), and if it's good, it might be as big or even bigger than Skyfall.

As for West Side Story, I see Mary Poppins Returns to Greatest Showman range as best case scenario. And Cruella sounds insanely unappealing, especially in a post-Maleficent world. So.... dunno why the fuck would Disney push Avatar 2 to 2021 when this slot was perfect for it. Unless it was a decision Cameron requested himself, for whatever creative reasons.

Oh, and New Mutants pushed again is absolutely hilarious.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

14 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Black Widow will be marketed well but I don’t see it being uber blockbuster. She does not have any powers. I doubt it will make more than 250m at best. I could see it miss 200m domestic. OS could do well ~ 500m

Plus it kind of feels too late.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Given that Despicable Me 3 dropped from both the second movie and the Minions movie by a big amount, I'm inclined to think Minions 2 is gonna see quite a dip from the original.

Not to mention neither Minions or DM3 had particularly glowing reception from audiences to begin with.

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised at sub $200M DOM.

1 minute ago, Alli said:

i really don't see a scenario where Bond wins the year. It's just not possible. It's not beating WW2 and maybe something else will surprise

Annapurna will prevent Bond 25 from winning cause they’re Annapurna.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TMP said:

Y'all keep sleeping on Widow. It's gonna make more than Bond 25/F&F without Dwayne/Wondy 2.

Widow is too many years too late and after Endgame, I think audiences know the kind of movie that it will be. I'm thinking Ant-Man And The Wasp to Winter Soldier range for it.

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Widow is too many years too late and after Endgame, I think audiences know the kind of movie that it will be. I'm thinking Ant-Man And The Wasp to Winter Soldier range for it.

Widow is a very popular character though, so I could see a breakout pretty easily. But I think the true MCU wildcard is Eternals, if the rumors about the kind of movie it is pan out then I think it will be massive