Kalo

2020 Box office discussion

I know it's still over a year away. but I was looking at set releases and 2020, is kind of looking like an off year.. well at least not as many mega blockbusters. (on the surface). could mean more room for break-out hits though.

Looks like Avatar 2 has a pretty good shot at #1 as well as possibly the only film I see doing over $500m, which means it would be the first year since 2014. that a Non-Disney would be #1. (however with the Fox/Disney acquisition, not sure that really counts).

Black Widow and Wonder Woman 1984. could potentially be fighting for #2, as they are looking like the next biggest blockbusters to me, but there is still time, not everything is set for release yet.

Big releases so far (please correct me if I am missing something:

Bad Boys For Lif3 1.17.20 

The Voyage of Doctor Dolittle (with Robert Downy Jr.) 1.17.20

Doctor Sleep 1.24.20 (Steven King novel adaption and sequel to the Shinning starring Ewan McGregor and Rebecca Ferguson) 

Peter Rabbit 2 2.7.20

Birds of Prey 2.7.20 (DC all female anti-hero film, starring Margot Robbie, Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Ewan McGregor.)  

Bond 25 2.14.20 (presumed to be final Bond film staring Daniel Craig)

Gambit 3.13.20

G.I. Joe 3.27.20 (Reboot)

Mulan 3.27.20

Fast & Furious 9 4.10.20

Trolls World Tour 4.17.20

Black Widow 5.1.20

Legally Blond 3 5.8.20

Scooby 5.15.20

A Quiet Place 2 5.15.20

Godzilla Vs Kong 5.22.20

Maleficent 2 2.29.20

Wonder Woman 1984 6.5.20

Top Gun: Maverick 6.26.20

Minions 2 7.3.20

The SpongeBob Movie 7.17.20

Jungle Cruise 7.24.20

The Croods 2 9.18.20

Death on the Nile 10.2.2

The Eternals 11.6.20  (MCU Cosmic universe film)

Vivo 11.6.20 (Sony Animation)

Rugrats 11.13.20

Sherlock Holmes 3 12.25.20

Sing 2 12.25.20

There are also several as of yet untitled Pixar and Disney animated films scheduled for release. 

Edited by Kalo

Also for funsies, my predictions for what the untitled Disney movies will probably be (I might do the other studios later):

February 14: The One and Only Ivan

March 6: The Suburban Fantasy Pixar Project

May 1: Black Widow

June 19: The Mark Andrews Pixar Project

October 9: Cruella

November 25: Dragon Empire

December 23: Pinocchio

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Also for funsies, my predictions for what the untitled Disney movies will probably be (I might do the other studios later):

February 14: The One and Only Ivan

March 6: The Suburban Fantasy Pixar Project

May 1: Black Widow

June 19: The Mark Andrews Pixar Project

October 9: Cruella

November 25: Dragon Empire

December 23: Pinocchio

Are you sure that there's going to be two different Pixar films in 2020? Did I miss an announcement?

Also, that's a lot of Disney films in general, especially when adding in the stuff that's already announced.

Edited by Slambros

15 minutes ago, Slambros said:

Are you sure that there's going to be two different Pixar films in 2020? Did I miss an announcement?

Also, that's a lot of Disney films in general, especially when adding in the stuff that's already announced.

That's what Box Office Mojo has right now. It could change, especially considering Pixar's leadership changes, but I'm basing it off of that for now.

26 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

The reason why 2020 seems like an "off" year is because we still have a whole bunch of untitled features. By the time next year rolls around, the schedule will seem a lot more meaty, as more projects get announced and placed around the schedule.

Yes I mentioned that it was possible. but the beginning decade years are usually something of a palate cleanser. and considering how big 2017, 2018 were and how 2019 is shaping up to look. It would seem it is time for a year without as many mega blockbusters. it doesn't mean the year still can't be good for breakout hits, in 2014 we got GOTG and American Sniper for example.  but the last year we had a film under 400m was 2014. that was some time ago.

2010's highest grossing film was Toy Story 4 with $415m. which is $335m less than Avatar grossed in 2009. and in 2000 the Grinch was the highest grossing film with $260m. $171m less then The Phantom Menace in 1999.

29 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

That's what Box Office Mojo has right now. It could change, especially considering Pixar's leadership changes, but I'm basing it off of that for now.

Well, that's exciting! Hopefully, these upcoming Pixar films are really good...

I have a feeling the November MCU film will be Doctor Strange 2, with Eternals taking one of the 2021 spots (along with Spider-Man 3 and either Black Panther 2 or Guardians 3). It’d be strange (pun intended) for them to wait a 5 year gap after the first, especially after the awesome reception he had in Infinity War.

2022 would probably be some combo of whichever’s left from GOTG3/BP2, CM2, AM3, A5, or maybe F4.

Also, I kinda wish they would make Black Widow one of the streaming miniseries. I feel like that story would work really well with a 10-or-so episode run.

Edited by nick64
  • Like 1

Schedule will definitely look a lot more interesting once the untitled movie's are... given titles. But I agree with the sentiment that there don't seem to be as many/any uber-blockbusters as 2019 (you're finishing off the freaking Avengers, Star Wars series as we know them, and probably the most hyped Disney live action there ever will be). 

I'm studying Pixar's Braintrust right now in class, and just reading the mention of its leadership changing, I really hope they keep the Braintrust intact the way it is, and not have Pixar become more and more like Disney. 

10 minutes ago, PANDA said:

I’ll wait till we have a full schedule but it could be the first year since 2016 that there is no 600m movie.  Maybe the first year since 2014 that there is no 500m movie.

Jimbo won’t like that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What a weak year.

Maleficent 2 2.29.20     I see a big drop here. The first one isn't particularly well liked

Wonder Woman 1984 6.5.20   This will obliterate everything in its path

Top Gun: Maverick 6.26.20      BOMB Under 100M