Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 | July 12 2023 | 99% on Rotten Tomatoes! | 290M budget so far, Cruise holding Paramount hostage for more money

This is not going to make less in 5 days then Indy did. The reviews will be better, and it is coming off a much more liked previous movie.And it certainly won't underopen Transformers.   As for the marketing being underwhelming I agree the marketing feels underwhelming for everything lately. I see so many trailers over and over that it washes over me. I don't make my movie decisions based on trailers . 

4 hours ago, John Marston said:

I’m the event of an underperformance (which is not guaranteed, thanks to likely strong reviews/being a very walk up friendly franchise) I absolutely will put the blame on labeling this “part one”. A big blunder there 

Or maybe people are just, you know... tired of this franchise? 

• Knock It Off 2

4 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Or maybe people are just, you know... tired of this franchise? 

Yeah  after that last movie who wouldn't be tired of this franchise. That was so boring and tiring.  Fast 10 just made almost 700 million WW. Talk about a series running on fumes and it still made that much. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Yeah  after that last movie who wouldn't be tired of this franchise. That was so boring and tiring.  Fast 10 just made almost 700 million WW. Talk about a series running on fumes and it still made that much. 

Fatigue hits every franchise, it happens. And it will start to show with this because it hit a peak

I mean, it already hit fatigue before. Was miraculously revived and had a good 3 film run.

Lot of people talking bulljive here about the marketing not being good. Lot of daft posts. Like peope are marketing experts. I ask again, how come if the marketing campaign was so goddamn good for FALLOUT, it only opened just above RN? I tell you why. It is plain obvious with this franchise that WoM and legs carry it, not the OW. It was evident with the last three films. The reality is that I can't think of a stunt that's been more publicized than the motorcycle jump of this one. I agree that the teaser trailer was better than the final trailer. Still, it is poised for franchise best opening and that's all you can ask for.

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Knock It Off 2

7 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Lot of people talking bulljive here about the marketing not being good. Lot of daft posts. Like peope are marketing experts. I ask again, how come if the marketing campaign was so goddamn good for FALLOUT, it only opened just above RN? I tell you why. It is plain obvious with this franchise that WoM and legs carry it, not the OW. It was evident with the last three films. The reality is that I can't think of a stunt that's been more publicized than the motorcycle jump of this one. I agree that the teaser trailer was better than the final trailer. Still, it is poised for franchise best opening and that's all you can ask for.

Yeah good point. That is how how it always go with this series.  I think some of the disappointment is just from wanting this to be  the Skyfall of MI and it will just never happen. We should be happy with how consistent this franchise is and continues to be, 

11 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

legs will take a hit when Barbie mania hits, I think theaters will be canceling showtimes MI

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

legs will take a hit when Barbie mania hits, I think theaters will be canceling showtimes MI

😀 You are right, they are completely the same demo. Also very smart observation on theaters, they usually cancel showtimes of a new release, not older films that's been out for a while. I'm glad to hear you're thinking though, you should try that more. A lot of room for improvement.

• Like 3

MI7 can only drop so much second weekend due to the extended opening,.

Transformers: The Last Knight had terrible WOM, and faced Despicable Me 3 OW in it's second weekend, but only dropped 61%, due to the fact it opened on a Wednesday.

I would be surprised if MI dropped more than 60% second weekend.

• Like 1

We got to remember one of the reasons their is a perceived lack of Marketing is the writers strike causing the talk shows to go dark. Cruise would have hit the big 3 -Kimmel, Fallon and Colbert and their would be the buzz from that.. That is something all the big movies are facing right now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Dark Alfred said:

If the marketing feels lackluster to US then why can’t we comment on it? I’ve felt a lot of blockbusters have had mediocre trailers and unappealing ad campaigns this summer and the results seem to reflect that. Do you really have to call people daft if they disagree with you? 

Of course people can have different opinions. You can feel that the marketing was lackluser and you can commend on it. Nobody said you can't. There are lot of daft reasoning however and there's nothing wrong pointing that out either. I don't get this negativity when there are miriad of evidence of the opposite. I find it rather silly to slate this films marketing while prasing FALLOUT's campaign when that film opened to 61m and this one is poised to do more. Where is the logic in that?

Edited by The Dark Alfred

I still haven't seen one convincing point on why MI will drop like a rock. 

It's gonna be unprecedented for a decently reviewed pg movie with Tom Cruise no less to drop over 60% in its second weekend just because 2 huge movies are releasing next week.

In April'19 domestically,

Endgame - $427m

Shazam - $132m

Dumbo - $60m

Captain Marvel - $60m

Pet Cemetery - $52m

Us - $45m

The Curse - $43m

Little - $36m

and so many more co-existed successfully 

Coming back to the present, with existing releases being old by the time Boppenheimer releases and MI being the only 'new' holdover and a shallow August slate with very few blockbusters pending for the rest of the year...why can't the market sustain MI7 if it's received decently?

Edited by Algebra

4 minutes ago, Algebra said:

I still haven't seen one convincing point on why MI will drop like a rock. 

It's gonna be unprecedented for a decently reviewed pg movie with Tom Cruise no less to drop over 60% in its second weekend just because 2 huge movies are releasing next week.

In April'19 domestically,

Endgame - $427m

Shazam - $132m

Dumbo - $60m

Captain Marvel - $60m

Pet Cemetery - $52m

Us - $45m

The Curse - $43m

Little - $36m

and so many more co-existed successfully 

Coming back to the present, with existing releases being old by the time Boppenheimer releases and MI being the only 'new' holdover and a shallow August slate with very few blockbusters pending for the rest of the year...why can't the market sustain MI7 if it's received decently?

It won't drop like a rock. In order for people to convince themselves of that they have to ignore that the movies with good to great WOM this year have had the best legs-Mario, Guardians 3, ATSV and Elemental and the movies with Mediorce  to bad WOM-Quantanmania, Fast 10, and The Flash have had bad legs.  As long as it has good to great WOM  it will bw fine. 

7 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

It won't drop like a rock. In order for people to convince themselves of that they have to ignore that the movies with good to great WOM this year have had the best legs-Mario, Guardians 3, ATSV and Elemental and the movies with Mediorce  to bad WOM-Quantanmania, Fast 10, and The Flash have had bad legs.  As long as it has good to great WOM  it will bw fine. 

Yeah I know..just trying to figure out where everyone who says it's not gonna have the old MI legs is coming from

I think the marketing has been poor as well, Cruise not only does global tours for his movies but he usually makes a full round on TV etc and this time he can’t on US

And the recently trailer is not very well put together like the teaser that dropped too long ago 

Still, this is the 7th movie of a very stablished franchise, i think everyone interested in it already knows what to expect, so i’m not sure this will hurt it tbh 

I think people will just show up like data consistently showed us it’s the case with this series for well over a decade now … not very fan driven, not frontloaded during OW and always getting good legs.

Still thinking ~90M start and 220-250M total DOM

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 2

We know that BARBIE and OP will have a monster opening combined, but the jury is still out there on the reaction for those films as well. I expect both to be great imho, but it's not guaranteed that they land in the 90s RT either. Not out of the question that DR will end up being the higher rated film.

9 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Of course people can have different opinions. You can feel that the marketing was lackluser and you can commend on it. Nobody said you can't. There are lot of daft reasoning however and there's nothing wrong pointing that out either. I don't get this negativity when there are miriad of evidence of the opposite. I find it rather silly to slate this films marketing while prasing FALLOUT's campaign when that film opened to 61m and this one is poised to do more. Where is the logic in that?

You seem extremely convinced on this one opening better than fallout, but it really looks like similar numbers to me.

• Knock It Off 1