Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 | July 12 2023 | 99% on Rotten Tomatoes! | 290M budget so far, Cruise holding Paramount hostage for more money

12 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I’m not concerned about the marketing for the second one, as long as they take the proper lessons from the marketing on this one.

That being the lack of a storytelling hook. It just relied on stunts, cinematography, and prior investment in the series, without adding any new clear hook. I just rewatched the trailers. The hook boils down to “big mysterious threat looms”. Big whoop.

Compare that to Ghost Protocol’s “Hunt and co get blamed for Moscow bombing”, Rogue Nation’s “Meet the evil counter-IMF” and Fallout’s “Bad guy from last time wants revenge with nukes” and also “Hunt gets babysitter”

It boggles me why the Dead Reckoning marketing didn’t at least establish the race for the keys, or perhaps highlight Grace as the fresh face. The Entity didn’t need to be kept a secret, since it’s introduced very early in the film.

But at the same time, the truth is Esrai Morales didn’t have the presence of Cavill or Harris, The Entity doesn’t sound as interesting as The Syndicate, Atwell wasn’t given much action to show off, and the keys were weakly written plot devices.

Next film’s marketing needs to be clear on the story, not play the JJ Abrams mystery box game.

Yeah I will agree with you here. I am in the bag for this franchise so all you have to say is there is a New Mission movie coming out and I will be there but to get the GA/Casuals to pay attention they need some sort of hook.  And when you get only one weekend before a 800 LB gorilla like Barbenheimer come out to just suck up the buzz. They could not even rely on normal post release WOM to fuel legs. 

18 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

IBut at the same time, the truth is Esrai Morales didn’t have the presence of Cavill or Harris, The Entity doesn’t sound as interesting as The Syndicate, Atwell wasn’t given much action to show off, and the keys were weakly written plot devices.

Morales was of course a last-minute recast; Nicholas Hoult was originally cast and apparently couldn't make it work scheduling-wise (which, in this case, I actually believe was legitimate...because, who wouldn't want to work with/against Cruise? Once in a lifetime opportunity.)

13 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Morales was of course a last-minute recast; Nicholas Hoult was originally cast and apparently couldn't make it work scheduling-wise (which, in this case, I actually believe was legitimate...because, who wouldn't want to work with/against Cruise? Once in a lifetime opportunity.)

I didn’t have an issue with Morales as the big heavy. I’ve seen him in Narcos and Ozark. In those shows he played an character, here he was just an ominous, mostly emotionless exposition device. Perhaps they’re saving the character work for part 2? I doubt it given how much rewriting there was. Hoult’s character “background” would have had to be different, he couldn’t realistically be someone Hunt knew professionally 30 years ago. I wonder what that character was going to be…

Also, Morales’ “Ethan!” yell at the end was Into Darkness “Khan!” level of laughable

Edited by OncomingStorm93

13 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I didn’t have an issue with Morales as the big heavy. I’ve seen him in Narcos and Ozark. In those shows he played an character, here he was just an ominous, mostly emotionless exposition device. Perhaps they’re saving the character work for part 2? I doubt it given how much rewriting there was. Hoult’s character “background” would have had to be different, he couldn’t realistically be someone Hunt knew professionally 30 years ago. I wonder what that character was going to be…

Also, Morales’ “Ethan!” yell at the end was Into Darkness “Khan!” level of laughable

Yeah to rewrite the character from a White British actor in his late 20's to a Hispanic actor in his late 50's. But that's what MCQ does and he makes no bones about it with these movies. Was the Gabriel character underwritten  yes but IMHO I like the unsettling calm Morales brought to to the role. And having to follow Cavill and Harris is a tall task.   

Of the modern run of MI (starting with Ghost Protocl), this is easily the messiest but I can't deny that it's stuck in my head months after seeing it. Cut out 10-15 mins of the overly repetitive exposition dumps and this would prob be one of my fav MIs.

9 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

Of the modern run of MI (starting with Ghost Protocl), this is easily the messiest but I can't deny that it's stuck in my head months after seeing it. Cut out 10-15 mins of the overly repetitive exposition dumps and this would prob be one of my fav MIs.

yeah as much as I will defend this movie and still love it. It is a little messy and they could have easily cut some of the expo dump. A drinking game could easily be played with how many times the words  Key and Entity are said. It's no secret Covid really messed with this movie. The fact it turned out as good as it is a miracle. As long as the strikes do not hurt it Mission 8 will be better and flow a lot better I think.