PatrickvD

The Pixar Club

Yup it's all about Day of the Dead. I think it's pretty much a goner.

That would be pretty pathetic to drop a film about a holiday just because there was another one about it. We have a bajillion Christmas movies, we can afford one more Day of the Dead film.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

That would be pretty pathetic to drop a film about a holiday just because there was another one about it. We have a bajillion Christmas movies, we can afford one more Day of the Dead film.

But Pixar dropped NEWT because of the 'similarities' with RIO. That's how sensitive they are. I really didn't understand the decision though. I was really looking forward to seeing NEWT. Sad.

• Like 2

Actually, from what I read, Pixar dropped newt because Gary Rydstrom left the project, then Pete Docter took over, and he couldn't get anywhere with it so they stopped it and he shifted to Inside Out. In other words, Rio had nothing to do with it.

And why would Pixar change something or cancel something for fear of similarity to something else? It's usually been other studios that rip off Pixar, not the other way around.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

Actually, from what I read, Pixar dropped newt because Gary Rydstrom left the project, then Pete Docter took over, and he couldn't get anywhere with it so they stopped it and he shifted to Inside Out. In other words, Rio had nothing to do with it.

And why would Pixar change something or cancel something for fear of similarity to something else? It's usually been other studios that rip off Pixar, not the other way around.

It was reported many times that it was because of RIO. They probably thought that people would think they had copied RIO's story. RATATOUILLE had directing issues too but they didn't cancel it. The same thing has happened with THE GOOD DINOSAUR and we all know it's definitely a go. Why didn't they do the same with NEWT?

• Like 1

It was reported many times that it was because of RIO. They probably thought that people would think they had copied RIO's story. RATATOUILLE had directing issues too but they didn't cancel it. The same thing has happened with THE GOOD DINOSAUR and we all know it's definitely a go. Why didn't they do the same with NEWT?

I bet it was a mix of both. If it wasn't so similar to Rio, then I think they would have tried hard to fix the issues with the film so they could still release it.

• Like 1

I bet it was a mix of both. If it wasn't so similar to Rio, then I think they would have tried hard to fix the issues with the film so they could still release it.

I saw some of NEWT's concept art and thought they looked gorgeous. Really disappointed by the cancellation Anyway, since TOY STORY IV is now for 2017, DIA DE LOS MUERTOS will be moved or worse, cancelled..

I saw some of NEWT's concept art and thought they looked gorgeous. Really disappointed by the cancellation Anyway, since TOY STORY IV is now for 2017, DIA DE LOS MUERTOS will be moved or worse, cancelled..

I really hope it isn't cancelled.

• Like 1

Newt was going to get bumped anyway. The movie was apparently having some serious second-act story problems that they just could not get over. Rydstrom leaving and Rio coming out allowed Pixar to quietly shelve the project and move on. I'm sure they'll go back to it in a few years and try again with fresh eyes, as Disney has done with quite a few of their own projects.

Edited by Sir Tiki

This as Catmull is being investigated for illegal wage-fixing practices (in collusion with DWA, et al.)--it's good to have a backup plan in place. :ph34r:

Edited by Melvin Frohike