cookie

The Letter Grades Strike Back aka Cookie's Corner Y5

The Scavenger Wars Part II.5

Woof. Lots to take in. Had to do triple checks at some parts.

This is definitely denser than the first movie (and given how dense the first movie is, that's saying a lot), and not just because it's almost three hours, but because there's like thirty different character names I just won't remember (sorry).

The headliner joke isn't meant to be critical, I just find it infinitely fascinating how @4815162342 and I seem to operate at similar wavelengths. The structure and pacing of both movies are surprisingly similar even outside their respective third acts.

All that aside, is this movie good?

Hell yeah.

The only major problem I have is that I have to do double takes on some of the exposition bits (although Albino Pidge's "listen here, you stupid shits" moment does a lot to clear the air - love her, by the way) and I hope that, since the third movie is going to be the end of this specific arc, all the homework has been done with this and the previous film and one can jump straight to the action.

Sarana remains cool, Eder remains cool, J.K Simmons Wizard is in it less than I'd have liked, but he's entertaining when he's around, Albino Pidge steals the show and Thaos is a good enough threat while Urgeat/Wenan are fun to watch even outside of me making the obvious comparisons. I think Aloth's arc was a little underdeveloped, but it sort of comes around decently.

So yeah, this is better than the first movie. I love the scale of this world even if it does have its share of homework.

A/A-

Edited by cookie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I throw the character in purely to have someone explain a few necessary science things and otherwise give a little setup for her for when I adapt the second game and apparently I over-succeeded.

If I hadn't been lazy and got it to Pasta as promised he could have warned me to keep her. :kitschjob:

15 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

I throw the character in purely to have someone explain a few necessary science things and otherwise give a little setup for her for when I adapt the second game and apparently I over-succeeded.

If I hadn't been lazy and got it to Pasta as promised he could have warned me to keep her. :kitschjob:

That's on you for not grasping the true power of having a Pidge - even an unofficial one - in your movie.

e93.jpg

Edited by cookie
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

24 Hours A

Artifacts: Zephyr's Crest B-

Bambi: A Life in the Woods A

A Woman in the Crowd A-

He-Man III: The Horror of Hordak B

Life of Galileo

Medusa

Olive the Other Reindeer A-/B+

O, Maestro! B-

One Punch Man Waiting for top 25

Perfect Match

Pillars of Eternity: Never Far From the Queen A/A-

Psyren C+

Scooby-Doo: Apocalypse B-

Splatoon B-

Sylvarius

Two Lonely Bounty Hamsters A-/B+

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl B+

The Epsilon Syndicate: Union of Thieves  A-/B+

Green Lantern Corps: Rise of the Manhunters B+

Sabrina C+

Yin A-

Wii Sports C-

Only four to go before this thread goes dark. They shall be delivered tomorrow.

• Like 2

@cookie

With respect to the mythology/lore there should definitely be less in the third film since the apparent stakes are set. Stop Negan, Stop Paul Bettany. 

I am looking forward to writing a couple lore scenes though in particular.

Curious to see how a certain third act thing will get received.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

Today I'll finish the last four requests (Sylvarius, Perfect Match, Medusa and Life of Galileo) and on Friday hopefully I will have delivered my top 25 list.

In addition to the top 25 list, I shall steal a page out of @4815162342's book and list my top 10 films of the five years of this game, however this list will not be comprised of my top two films of the respective years but rather it's all handpicked out of personal preference, so it's entirely possible one or two years may be over represented or miss out completely.

My own films will of course not be on that list, but I will make a separate list called Cookie's Five Personal Favorites where I rank five films I've made (out of 31) and explain in detail what it is that makes me look back fondly on them in retrospect.

So the schedule, bearing repeating, will be:

1. Remaining requests
  2. Top 25
  3. Cookie's Five Personal Favorites / Top 10 Films of the Past Five Years
Edited by cookie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Life of Galileo

I remember being very lukewarm on this when I read it in 2.0. Reading it again seeing aside from slight differences not much has changed - I feel pretty similar. Turning it into a story about sexism while at the same time being about questioning belief systems kinda muddies the water a bit more than it has to, even if the film makes a game effort of making it as much of a balancing act as possible.

Winslet's lead performance is what ultimately keeps it afloat and it's less annoying than most other Baz Luhrmann films so there's that.

B-

(The Kanye cameo is amusing but nowhere near as laugh-out-loud funny as I remember the Eminem version being)

Edited by cookie
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, cookie said:

Medusa

Not gonna dwell on this one since most of what I looked for was what @YourMother the Edgelord fixed from the pre-read version I read. Suffice to say it's a smoother experience the second time around. Still enjoyed bad guy Odysseus a lot.

B+

I have to ask, which was better? This or TUSG? As I want to know which to campaign for the animation/voice lead/action categories.

16 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I have to ask, which was better? This or TUSG? As I want to know which to campaign for the animation/voice lead/action categories.

I'd say Squirrel Girl is better. Medusa is on the lower scale of the B+.