cookie

The Letter Grades Strike Back aka Cookie's Corner Y5

A Woman in the Crowd

I agree with @4815162342 that ATJ is not the ideal choice for Lyra. She doesn't really have the same spark as someone like Kendrick would have at that age, but I understand why Kendrick wouldn't fit the role anymore.

But the movie itself is really good. It's kinda like a version of Groundhog Day mixed with Notes From the Otherspace, if that makes any sense. Even if Lyra is a tiny bit miscast I really her character, and Milo is honestly a delight whenever he's on screen.

The ending is a little too depressing for me since

Spoiler

Lyra never finds a way to break her curse, but I understand that it's more about her watching over Milo than it is finding a way to be with him.

but that's not a huge issue in of itself. I would've just been a little happier with - you know - a happy ending, especially since the movie itself is fairly sweet and gentle.

Is it the best movie of the year? Not really. Is it still one of the stronger ones? Yes.

A-

I think it would've been a bit easier of a read had there been more paragraph breaks given how much character action and dialogue is described, but I won't hold that against anyone.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, cookie said:

Spoiler

The lack of explanation or resolution for the curse was my big knock against the film back in 2.0,

but I mellowed on that since.

Edited by 4815162342

4 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Spoiler

The lack of explanation or resolution for the curse was my big knock against the film back in 2.0,

but I mellowed on that since.

That too tbh, mostly the latter part.

Edited by cookie

5 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Also in retrospect I should’ve  probably gone with Zoey Deutch but eh, can’t change it now!

Someone like Zoey Deutsch or Lily James would've worked just fine I think.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Reveal hidden contents

glad you liked it!!

You can always do a sequel:

Another in the Crowd :jeb!:

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

You can always do a sequel:

Another in the Crowd :jeb!:

There was a prequel announced in 2.0! Complete with Benedict Cumberbatch and a Medieval era setting! I have zero plans to pursue that project this goaround lol

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

I can honestly see you falling into either camp of thought this film has had so far. 

Hoping its more positive but we shall see. :bourne:

I like the idea behind it (and know a bit or two about the book) so unless it’s really dull I can’t see why I would hate it.

I’m not going to compare it to the Disney version exactly.

Edited by cookie
  • Thanks 1

I’m up to the point where James Bond shows up (had some things to take care of first so apologies if it took this long) and I gotta hand it to @Rorschach:

If it keeps going as smoothly as this, this might rival 24 Hours as my favorite so far

• Like 1
  • Astonished 4

11 minutes ago, cookie said:

I’m up to the point where James Bond shows up (had some things to take care of first so apologies if it took this long) and I gotta hand it to @Rorschach:

If it keeps going as smoothly as this, this might rival 24 Hours as my favorite so far

4 minutes ago, cookie said:

Bit weird that Colman plays two unrelated characters, but okay

Just now, cookie said:

What is this, O-doe-ssey? There’s like a billion characters.

I guess its all downhill from here:hahaha::whosad:

Ronno details his encounter with He and describes how He used his “third hand” to wound Ronno but was thankfully able to get away

I guess we should be happy it wasn’t his third leg 🤨

• Haha 1