cookie

The Letter Grades Strike Back aka Cookie's Corner Y5

Sam tells Genos that it doesn't really matter all that much as they kept the damage to a minimum and only a few dozen people were killed

Sam Capebaldi - a hero ever so slightly more conscious of his surroundings than Superman

Edited by cookie
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

I'm targeting a Q4 release in Y7 or at the latest Q2/3 in Y8. 

Garou is definitely gonna be a fun character to write for. 

Just stay out of December or you’ll make Red Lantern Odysseus seeing red.

One Punch Man

Stuffed is the name of the game here. Preeeeeeetty stuffed.

I think you can cut out basically everything involving Dr. Genus since it doesn't amount to much in the end. I'm sure you can make Boros find out about Earth some other way and saved us a lot of ultimately useless plotting.

I was never bored but it's a pretty exhausting experience in all honesty, probably because there's so much of it. A crap ton of characters, dozens of plot threads that don't see much development (and some being introduced way late in the game) and just kinda linger before they're hastily resolved towards the end - or in some cases not at all. Adapting the series directly was probably a mistake since it leads to a very episodic narrative.

You did my boi Taron good though. Sam is pretty much a delight whenever he's on screen and while I would've wanted more development from Kozar he's a decent substitute for when Sam's not around.

I don't want to make it sound like I'm bashing this movie so I'm going to hold on the grade until I've had more time to think about it.

N/A

• Astonished 1
  • Sad 2

Yeah, writing the film definitely took a lot out of me. It probably wouldn't have been so bad had I been able to work ahead of time on it more but having a whole week of midterms two weeks before the deadline fucked me over in that regard. 

Like I've said before, I'll probably be taking a page out of the Voltron book and go separate ways from the series (considering its still on-going and season 2 of the anime is just about to come out in a week or so). I won't be totally diverging from it but I'll more so be picking and choosing what I want to include from here on out.

6 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

Yeah, writing the film definitely took a lot out of me. It probably wouldn't have been so bad had I been able to work ahead of time on it more but having a whole week of midterms two weeks before the deadline fucked me over in that regard. 

Like I've said before, I'll probably be taking a page out of the Voltron book and go separate ways from the series (considering its still on-going and season 2 of the anime is just about to come out in a week or so). I won't be totally diverging from it but I'll more so be picking and choosing what I want to include from here on out.

I think part two should just be Sam vs. Garou as its main storyline. Work with a smaller cast and less extraneous plot threads.

Edited by cookie

14 minutes ago, cookie said:

I think part two should just be Sam vs. Garou as its main storyline. Work with a smaller cast and less extraneous plotlines.

There are a few issues with that that I'll try to work around in the sequel but will still need some time to find a work-around:

Spoiler

1) In the manga, Garou's ultimate goal is to become a monster and believes the only way he can do this is to wipe out all heroes (which stems from him being an outcast as a child and finding solace in rooting for the bad guys to win in all the childhood media he watches -- which never pans out for obvious reasons). Pretty much the whole arc with him is that he starts hunting down a lot of the heroes in the association to achieve this goal (not necessarily killing them but I'll probably end up changing that for the movie to maybe slash the roster of the plethora of characters in this universe -- which I think would be a really good deviation from the source material the more I think about it).

2) Sam and Garou don't run into each other that much. Actually, the more I think about it, after the end point in season 1, Sam kinda ends up becoming a secondary character in his own series lmao. It's more-so about developing a lot of the other characters (mainly Genos) and their struggle with defeating Garou. I'm sure there's a work-around for this. I'll just need to figure it out.

Edited by Rorschach
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cookie said:

Aloth RN

tenor.gif?itemid=12374717

Just now, Spaghetti said:
  Hide contents

I was *very* tempted to make this reference in my commentary, but since it was just the one character mainly, I stuck with Kristoff and Sven. 

If James McAvoy was 5-10 years younger he would have been on my shortlist.

2 minutes ago, cookie said:

I don't remember all the details from the first film but since when were there robots in this universe? Kinda sprung out of nowhere.

There weren't any in the first film and there wasn't really much reason for them to be. But mechanical things powered by soul essence are a part of the setting.

Just now, 4815162342 said:

There weren't any in the first film and there wasn't really much reason for them to be. But mechanical things powered by soul essence are a part of the setting.

Makes more sense the more I read it. I think the initial description just threw me off a bit.

Just now, cookie said:

Makes more sense the more I read it. I think the initial description just threw me off a bit.

That's fine. They're mostly not a big deal in the setting so I didn't make it a big deal in the text.

Spoiler

I say mostly because in the event I do go past this main arc, there are a few notable Mecha enemies in future stuff