cookie

The Letter Grades Strike Back aka Cookie's Corner Y5

The Honorable Mentions

aka the 'You Tried' category

ac8171a960a4572211f04304fc744474b09cdbbb

Yes, I'm using the exact same gif I did last year. No, I don't care.

Spoiler

Artifacts: Zephyr's Crest by @YourMother the Edgelord - The casting and adventurous spirit helps elevate this from being a bog-standard family movie, but it's nothing more than somewhat above average. Hope the sequel improves things.

Spoiler

Birds by @YourMother the Edgelord - Documentaries always find a place somewhere in or near the top 25 for me. In this case it was just near.

Spoiler

Life of Galileo by @Blankments - I usually don't like Baz Luhrmann movies at all, so this being in the honorable mentions should be considered an achievement.

Spoiler

One Punch Man by @Rorschach - Yeah, this is sort of where it ended up landing. It's so close to the top 25 you can taste it, but just not quite. I hope it's successful enough to get a sequel though.

Spoiler

Perfect Match by @Blankments - Another one in the "letdown" category that just missed the top list. Again, I don't mind that it's a success for other people. It just sort of took the wrong turn for me personally.

Spoiler

Psychonauts by @Spaghetti - For a game as quirky and original as Psychonauts I was hoping the movie would have much of the same energy to it. It does to some extent, but not enough.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Full disclosure: All movies in the honorable mentions received a B-. I actually gave out a lot of B minuses this year and I sort of had to pick out six so the HM list doesn't go on forever.

And I'm pushing back the top 25 reveal until 8 P.M CEST since I want to make sure the list is in an order I like (lots of films with similar grades keep switching places). This means the Personal Favorites list will be at 10 and the Top 10 of the Last Five Years will be at 11.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, cookie said:

I liked it, but I just wasn't that hot on it in the end. Sorry.

Eh, I admit that this year I didn’t really give it my all, so I’m not too heartbroken. 

I at least hope much of the third act was handled better than After Party.

5 minutes ago, Slambros said:

tenor.gif?itemid=13836160

I didn't expect that I all! Thank you very much!

You have to do pretty bad for a documentary to not land at least in the vicinity of my top 25 and I thought Calendars was better than most.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cookie said:

You have to do pretty bad for a documentary to not land at least in the vicinity of my top 25 and I thought Calendars was better than most.

i think i'm gonna write a doc next year just so i have a shot hereabouts haha

• Like 1

Spoiler

tumblr_p6owi6qKUd1wd7c50o1_540.gif

American Dragon: Flash Point by @Xillix

Spoiler

giphy.gif

The Three-Month Funeral by @Blankments

Spoiler

Olive the Other Reindeer by @Blankments

Spoiler

giphy.gif