cookie

The Letter Grades Strike Back aka Cookie's Corner Y5

Just now, Spaghetti said:

I mean, Shuri and/or Allura?

(BTW, my goal for my Shuri OC is to make it 5-6k words at absolute most.)

I'm still only 3/6 on Team Voltron as Oscar nominees. That number won't increase this year since the only real bet is Shiro nom #2.

1 minute ago, cookie said:

I'm still only 3/6 on Team Voltron as Oscar nominees. That number won't increase this year since the only real bet is Shiro nom #2.

Thompson's performance will be a bit more subtle, but there will be a lot to it. Trying to do a bit more research into life on Tangier Island (the inspiration for the film), but I imagine it'll probably be the second or third film I write.

2 hours ago, cookie said:

The Cookie Award for Best Film of Y5

And the nominees (and winner) are:

Hide contents

“You got a choice, I keep this door open, you can walk out and into the courthouse and you take your chances with what’s inside. Or, I close this door, we take you in, and maybe Marie’s death means more than just your fuckup. Open or closed?”

Carrie Coon, 24 Hours by @4815162342

“He lies helpless on the ground like all the rest of us, as you see Him now.”

- Daniel Craig, Bambi: A Life in the Woods by @Rorschach

“You speak about these groups as if everyone in them is the same, a collective bogeyman waiting in the night. You’re wrong. I am an Eothasian, and I fought for the Dyrwood when Waidwen invaded. My brother Woden, the best man I ever knew, was an Eothasian, and he died for the Dyrwood when Waidwen invaded. We are not the enemy. It’s people like you, who prey on fear, who capitalize on suffering, who are the enemy.”

Dan Stevens, Pillars of Eternity: Never Far From the Queen by @4815162342

“Times change. You think everything’s going to be alright, and then people in your life suddenly disappear… and there’s nothing you can do about it.”

- Mary Elizabeth Winstead, The Scavenger Wars Part II by Yours Truly

"We need to learn to accept that there are some mysteries whose truths will never be revealed. But if there is one truth I am sure of, it is that I love you, and that I’m proud of you, and that I will keep you safe from harm."

- Daniel Henney, Yin by @Slambros

And the winner is:

Hide contents

Bambi

A Life in the Woods

giphy.gif

They say there's no movie quite like By the Balls. They say there's no movie quite like Yin.

I'd say there's no movie quite like Bambi: A Life in the Woods.

If anything I've read this year ever captured the beauty and nihilism of its source material, it's definitely this one. Rarely have I been so fascinated by a work from beginning to end, and even besides that it has everything I want in a film: great atmosphere, great characterization, great tension, great drama, even a strong sense of humor and a killer ending that leaves an impact on you. Few films would dare to go the lengths Bambi: A Life in the Woods does, and it's all the better for it.

Congratulations, @Rorschach

tenor.gif?itemid=5404465

Full list will appear in the CC thread shortly.

giphy.gif

Thank you for that write-up man. It means the world to me. :cloud9:

gatsby-thanks.png

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I thought ACIT was originally Scrooge 2.5, unless Argonaut replaced it.

It started out as Scrooge 2.5 but it's Scrooge 3 now. Argonaut is technically the new 2.5 (or 0.5 if you want to call it that).

Edited by cookie

I guess if everyone else's doing it, I should probably do it too:

@Rorschach @Slambros @4815162342

Since you three had at least one of your films placed in the top five, Cookie's Corner is now offering a special pre-read privilege to some upcoming Cookie Pictures productions.

I'm not very diverse in my line-up, but hopefully what I have is distinct enough. Most of these are Y7 releases as Voltron: Galrazaal already has @Spaghetti and @YourMother the Edgelord on pre-read duty, but I am planning on writing as much as I can for both years in order to get a head start.

DragonBorns (expected release: late Y6) - dir. Aaron Ehasz

Already detailed this one in the Magazine thread, link here.

Project Paradise (expected release: Y7) - dir. Julius Avery

Jessica Rothe cosplays as Solid Snake and goes running in the Thailand jungle after some baddies kidnap Olivia Cooke in this cross between Metal Gear and Tomb Raider directed by Julius Avery of Overlord fame and produced by J.J Abrams. I'm actually planning on making a new R-rated franchise with this one and I can promise you it's going to be bananas.

Voltron: Rift (expected release: July Y7) - dir. Rian Johnson

While Pasta and YM are set to pre-read Galrazaal, I'm leaving Rift open to a third party. This one is a long-term commitment since I need to finish and publish Galrazaal first, so if you pick this one don't expect it for a while.

The Scavenger Wars Part III (expected release: Q2 Y7) - dir. Matt Shakman

This is a juicy one in my estimation. I've already done a lot of planning stuff and even wrote at least three versions of the film's cold open (the main crux right now is figuring out which character is going to have the primary focus). I'll be dropping details publicly after the actuals are done.

Violet Evergarden (expected release: Y6/Y7) - dir. Andrea Arnold

I'm leaving this one open for either year since I still need to go back and re-watch the series in order to figure out how to approach it - I really want to avoid a One Punch Man with this one. Basically it's an adaptation of a Japanese light novel series turned Netflix anime and my first real stab at what can be called "traditional Oscar bait" - it's much more of a period costume drama than a traditional blockbuster.

Since @4815162342 has two films in my top five he's allowed to make two picks, but he's also allowed to trade one of his picks with a free pre-read pick at a later date. Should any of these be cancelled or delayed the one on pre-read duty will be compensated.

Edited by cookie

11 hours ago, cookie said:

The Letdowns

Reveal hidden contents

I somehow missed this while checking updates on my phone earlier today after being offline for half the day.

Yeah, it was really a struggle for me and if I'm being honest, it more or less impacted my enjoyment of the series in a very, very negative way after I finished it. It's nothing against the show itself but just the absolute hell I went through trying to complete the film really tainted it for me. Let's just say it'll probably be an extremely long time before I re-visit the first season again.

I'm still planning to do at least one sequel after this but if that ends up being a dud too, I probably won't even bother with a third film after that. 

But thank you for the honorable mention though. I'm at least glad you find some enjoyment amongst all the messiness.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Blankments said:

Did I miss that Heart’s Song was delayed? Just curious, I was hyped for that one

It’s sort of in a state of flux right now since I don’t have a firm grasp on what exactly I want to do with it, thus I’m not confident enough to offer pre-reads at this state.

(Also doesn’t help I’m not all that knowledgable in musicals outside the Disney variety lol)

11 hours ago, Spaghetti said:

It's time for operation Get Back on Cookie's Top 5.

giphy.gif

11 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

@cookie

Since I'm now a show alum, Voltron Rift.

And Scavvies 3.

Rift is borrowing directly from a series storyline so you should feel somewhat at home.

11 hours ago, Rorschach said:

Well this made my choice fairly easy lol

Project Paradise

I was hoping my fellow R-rated tentpole connoisseur would pick that one lol

9 hours ago, Slambros said:

@cookie I would love to pre-read DragonBorns!

Wise choice. I think the story should resonate well with you.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1