Ezen Baklattan

Spaghetti Kitchen: Quinquennial Edition (Guess My Top 25!)

Just now, cookie said:
  Hide contents

I'm down for John Stewart and Odysseus

And likely a near 160-175 minute runtime... The scope for number 2 is so ginormous, if the third review is decent, I will make an announcement.

Olive the Other Reindeer

Spoiler

So full transparency: I did help Blank a bit with this, namely in some casting and brainstorming of the plot. But he did 90% of the work. Either way, I've gotta say that this movie put a huge ass smile on my face.

If you're willing to embrace its cynicism-free (and granted, kinda predictable) plot but also follow along to Taika Waititi's idiosyncratic cinematic eye, then you're in for a wonderful new holiday treat. Anchored by a wonderful leading voice performance by Meechee Zendaya, the film soars as a breezy, feel good, and joyous musical. There's a lot of hilarious bits in there, including a cameo from a certain Atlanta actor that had me rolling, but as a whole, its incessant optimism, wit, and heart was enough to win you over all the way. The ending song is gonna be stuck in your head for the entire season.

Honestly, if you don't give this a positive review, you hate fun and happiness.

Spoiler

A-

Image result for cher tweets

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

Martin: This is something that the park needs to handle… You should go enjoy yourself at our other attractions, and we’ll be sharing more information when it’s available.

@Slambros Pretty sure this is a typo? Thought Ross would say it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spaghetti said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Yeah, that's a typo. 😬

1 minute ago, Spaghetti said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

It seemed like a nice setting to place her character in at the time... But further in the story, she appears in other settings, too.

Yin

Spoiler

So...um. Where do we begin?

For the first two thirds of the movie, I was actually quite intrigued. Henney gives a pretty intriguing performance as a family man managing a broken home while trying to protect his daughter, especially as he gets ensnared in a mysterious plot with several political implications. The storytelling and plottting has a Hitchcockian flair, and it's pretty exciting to behold. If the filmmaker can land a strong conclusion with this set up, I would be heavily intrigued.

So what happened next?

Well....

The film takes a complete 180 into something super surreal and bizarre, but in a way kind of interesting (albeit with not nearly enough rational buildup for such a completely bonkers twist. Although I do admire the gonzo audacity of its execution, and I almost was with it had something just kept building up to get more and more bonkers. Unfortunately, the ending arrives as a disappointing cop-out to solve the movie's problems, even if there are a few touching moments. Basically, it feels like the filmmakers wanted to go truly Twilight Zone-esque for the ending (Which is fine and all, but more indication of that leading up would have been a bit more warranted) and tacks on a mandated emotional ending that almost subverts the themes of the movie.

There are interesting aspects here, and some of the ideas explored are pretty interesting, but it ultimately ends as a let down.

I'm sorry, @Slambros. I'm still super excited to read more of your work, and you have excellent potential as a writer. If nothing else, I was hooked the whole time. Even as it goes to surreal and messy places, it's hard to look away from.

Spoiler

C+

Image result for cher tweets

• Like 1