Rorschach

CAYOM V Actuals: A Life in the Flash Point of the Unbeatable Union of One Punch Manhunters on their Own Accord Scavenging for A Woman in the Crowd for 24 Hours within the Next Dimension of the Third Dimension

26 minutes ago, cookie said:

Projected totals:

TLBH - $480-$500m

GLC - $280-290m

CoD2 - $160-170m

Steel Streaks - $135m

Epsilon Syndicate - $175-180m

Last Six - $155-160m

What about Medusa?

• Like 1

June:

Portal underperforms with a $25M OW

Psyren does a decent but overperforming $35M OW

Forever Yours does low $10M OW but still good

Splatoon does within expectations as 2LBH breaking out stops its true potential but has a nice $45M-$55M OW

An Odd Road Trip does $15M OW

One Punch Man pulls a Rise Of Lotor and has an insane $170M five day and ends at $380M

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

June:

Portal underperforms with a $25M OW

Psyren does a decent but overperforming $35M OW

Forever Yours does low $10M OW but still good

Splatoon does within expectations as 2LBH breaking out stops its true potential but has a nice $45M-$55M OW

An Odd Road Trip does $15M OW

One Punch Man pulls a Rise Of Lotor and has an insane $170M five day and ends at $380M

July:

Up The Butt bombs with a $2M opening (but it won’t stop me from making Up The Butt: Meat Lovers Edition as long as we need fillers)

Calenders opens with $4.5M-$7M

Skyjunper does around $12M

Scooby Doo Apocalypse howls up a respectable $90M OW

Static Shock shocks with a $70M OW due to CAYOM not having a major film to appeal to the African American demographic

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Honestly one of the things that consistently irks me about CAYOM is the way so many movies do unrealistically huge numbers just for the sake of not killing a budding franchise, no matter how ridiculous it is. We have an absurdly low number of flops in general. This goes for my own stuff too, no way in hell Crysis should've made $560 million, for the most egregious example.

Obviously though I get that it's a balance between giving people the opportunity to have fun and write what they want and actually having a box office simulation game. I find it takes a lot of the fun away when there's so little risk of failure. Starts to feel less like a game and more like a fanfiction board. But of course if that's how the majority of the playerbase wants it, so be it.

Not trying to dunk on anyone's writing (I haven't even read Scoobs) but when so many commercially unviable ideas become consistent blockbusters it gets a bit disillusioning. And when someone does have a flop or disappointment for once it can feel worse because it's like, "why is rational thinking only now applying for my movie?"

Just some rambling feel free to ignore, burn me at the stake, etc. :P

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Xillix said:

Honestly one of the things that consistently irks me about CAYOM is the way so many movies do unrealistically huge numbers just for the sake of not killing a budding franchise, no matter how ridiculous it is. We have an absurdly low number of flops in general. This goes for my own stuff too, no way in hell Crysis should've made $560 million, for the most egregious example.

Obviously though I get that it's a balance between giving people the opportunity to have fun and write what they want and actually having a box office simulation game. I find it takes a lot of the fun away when there's so little risk of failure. Starts to feel less like a game and more like a fanfiction board. But of course if that's how the majority of the playerbase wants it, so be it.

Not trying to dunk on anyone's writing (I haven't even read Scoobs) but when so many commercially unviable ideas become consistent blockbusters it gets a bit disillusioning. And when someone does have a flop or disappointment for once it can feel worse because it's like, "why is rational thinking only now applying for my movie?"

Just some rambling feel free to ignore, burn me at the stake, etc. :P

I mean I would agree that I think some films should do significantly worse at the DOM box office. back in 2.0, it was a thing where usually if something that was planned to be a franchise if there was complaining, it'd have a rebound OS.

That said, i 100% get what you mean about a flop, because i'm still somewhat irked at times that Marked Up Time, a one-off intended blockbuster, made me lose a significant chunk of "money" whereas By the Balls (a film designated to safely lose money) blew the fuck up if just because "it had very good reviews".

• Like 3

I'll admit, I've been fairly lenient thus far mostly mostly because the box office has been fairly dry (doesn't help when there are a lot of weekends where there's only been one new wide release film each one).

It does look like some of the months going forward have a lot more films coming out each weekend so that should help make things a bit more interesting.

Edited by Rorschach
  • Like 5

I try to keep things in line with predictions most of the time, (Crysis has similar predicts) but I do fully admit that I went a bit too overboard on a few runs last year. A rule I followed was to give each user a disappointment if they have a hit and Vice versa.

However, I sometimes feel like the hits I have were too big. A few films do disappoint or underwhelm, of course, but I really do have to admit that it’s not really fun to let that happen. I almost feel a bit guilty when I do, which might have explained my bias.

Honestly, part of the reason very little things flopped is by necessity. Most weeks in CAYOM are lucky to get more than one wide release, and with that, the market place feels way more sparse and will gravitate to fewer films, thus giving them bigger grosses.

I definitely get where @Xillix is coming from, and the next time I do actuals will have a bit more restraint.

• Like 6