Rorschach

CAYOM V Actuals: A Life in the Flash Point of the Unbeatable Union of One Punch Manhunters on their Own Accord Scavenging for A Woman in the Crowd for 24 Hours within the Next Dimension of the Third Dimension

4 minutes ago, Blankments said:

I mean I would agree that I think some films should do significantly worse at the DOM box office. back in 2.0, it was a thing where usually if something that was planned to be a franchise if there was complaining, it'd have a rebound OS.

That said, i 100% get what you mean about a flop, because i'm still somewhat irked at times that Marked Up Time, a one-off intended blockbuster, made me lose a significant chunk of "money" whereas By the Balls (a film designated to safely lose money) blew the fuck up if just because "it had very good reviews".

18 minutes ago, Xillix said:

Honestly one of the things that consistently irks me about CAYOM is the way so many movies do unrealistically huge numbers just for the sake of not killing a budding franchise, no matter how ridiculous it is. We have an absurdly low number of flops in general. This goes for my own stuff too, no way in hell Crysis should've made $560 million, for the most egregious example.

Obviously though I get that it's a balance between giving people the opportunity to have fun and write what they want and actually having a box office simulation game. I find it takes a lot of the fun away when there's so little risk of failure. Starts to feel less like a game and more like a fanfiction board. But of course if that's how the majority of the playerbase wants it, so be it.

Not trying to dunk on anyone's writing (I haven't even read Scoobs) but when so many commercially unviable ideas become consistent blockbusters it gets a bit disillusioning. And when someone does have a flop or disappointment for once it can feel worse because it's like, "why is rational thinking only now applying for my movie?"

Just some rambling feel free to ignore, burn me at the stake, etc. :P

I understand what you are getting at @Xillix. My whole plan with One Piece was to focus on OS  Box Office do to it being the 3rd highest selling comic of all time . As for BTB @Blankments my guess that it would have a similar effect as Get Out did on the cultural conversation.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Blankments said:

That said, i 100% get what you mean about a flop, because i'm still somewhat irked at times that Marked Up Time, a one-off intended blockbuster, made me lose a significant chunk of "money" whereas By the Balls (a film designated to safely lose money) blew the fuck up if just because "it had very good reviews".

Sorry. :kitschjob:

Although reviews helped the OW a bit, I think arguably they better reflect on legs - which were decent but not amazing for BTB. (Well, WOM plus reviews in this case). I do get what you mean, though, and I feel that in general, a lot of players (kinda myself included tbh) prioritize reviews/awards over box office? If nothing else because a a film’s quality is something they have direct control over. IDK.

• Like 1

To be honest other than a few films (BTB, Odyssey 3 OW, To The Moon, admittedly Treasure Planet), I think Box Office for the most part here has been fair but I easily understand why others are frustrated as some are unrealistic.

I am the most excited for Y6 since @Xillix, I assume will put in some realism

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

To be honest other than a few films (BTB, Odyssey 3 OW, To The Moon, admittedly Treasure Planet), I think Box Office for the most part here has been fair but I easily understand why others are frustrated as some are unrealistic.

That’s what I’m scared of

• Haha 4

To be honest I’m the most curious about the AMD3 vs Olive vs TUSG showdown. Again I still think all are going to fly over $200M as I suspect AMD3 plays more as an action adventure PG-13 film; Olive acts like a traditional Christmas movie and TUSG is the only all ages tentpole at Christmas.

Not to mention plenty of holiday blockbusters can thrive 2004, 2007, 2016, 2017 and especially 2018 comes to mind.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of the notion that something has to bomb just because there's a decent chance it would in the real world (and that's ignoring that real life has multiple factors you can't just make up in CAYOM like how something was marketed or outside forces - and like Pasta pointed out CAYOM is far less saturated than IRL since several weekends end up with one release in total. Y5 like previous years even has multiple weekends in a row where the top ten has entries making less than $1 million which hasn't happened in all of 2018 and 2019 so far, maybe hasn't happened in 2017 either but I didn't check that far back). I feel focusing too much on that can turn into a slippery slope, and making it feast or famine can be discouraging in of itself especially when it comes to continuing stories people actually want to see through.

With that said I can't speak for why something like By the Balls opened to $47 million or whatever, I would've had it do half of that at the absolute best - OW at least, legs are a different question since when I did the actuals I didn't pay that much attention to the predictions on that end and judged that stuff independently. Some films just aren't meant to break out that way and that's the point where I too feel it gets ridiculous. Parvelli Reunion is another one I would've had gross half of what it did but as I've said before I didn't get to read it until I had already decided how it was going to perform (those last two months I had to hurry since if I couldn't get them out then they would've had to be delayed for several days).

There's an argument to be made for balance, but when I do the actuals again I'm not going to sink people's work just to adhere to realism (and I think @Xillix's predicts has its times where its warranted and its times where I found it frankly ridiculous - a Pokémon movie opening to $19m when even real life is about to prove that way wrong is an example).

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Spaghetti said:

@Xillix has mentioned that his numbers will be a bit more generous than his typical predictions.

He even said he plans on incorporating the predictions and basically that it’d lean towards his a bit more but still follow an average:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cookie said:

(and I think @Xillix's predicts has its times where its warranted and its times where I found it frankly ridiculous - a Pokémon movie opening to $19m when even real life is about to prove that way wrong is an example).

That prediction had more to do with the fact it was an adaptation of the first third of a game that barely even has a story tbh. Comparing it to Detective Pikachu seems off. But yes I won't defend EVERY prediction I've made, haha.

Edited by Xillix
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I've said before that Treasure Planet ran lucky on having the shittiest release slate ahead of itself any movie releasing in that time frame could possibly have. It had one viable competitor between itself and Voltron a month and a half later and that was Storm Hunters, and I think the drop I did that weekend was fair.

To the Moon was probably a bit much OW-wise but more because of the content (being a deliberately paced drama) than the rating (do parents, at least those with kids older than toddlers, really care that much about the distinction between PG and PG-13? I've seen them take their six year olds to every Marvel and Star Wars movie that comes out).

• Like 3

I think we have to aknowledge that CAYOM is a dfferent world than the real one (far more big original/riskt properties etc.) But at the same time live in reality. Like volton a film that was not as well recieved as it's space opera counterpart in Spark:Rising went on to gross an absurd amount of money.  An R rated Odyssey conclusion doing 600M. Nuts. Maybe 400M with it being an epic finale. Bounty hamster i think should've had an increase more in line with despicable me 2. Not that these films wouldn't do well. They sure would. But yhe 450M+ runs all the time is a little nuts. And i agree with the notion that it's more fun when there's a tint of realism to the numbers. Of course not bagging on anyone just throwing out ideas for going foreward. I'm not always the greatsest at getting my predictions done.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, cookie said:

A realistic gross for Spark Rising would've been a bit better than Jupiter Ascending, I mean...

Sorry.

I disagree with that a lot

Like i said CAYoM is not the reall world. Wedont have the option of as many established brands so original films are more likely to break out i feel like

Edited by Ethan Hunt
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I’m curious how One Punch Man and Scooby-Doo will perform tonight.

I might only get around to June tonight. I’ve been busy trying to build a schedule for my classes next semester.

• Like 2

June 4-6: ‘Portal’ doesn’t land the jump but still conquers the top, ‘Bounty Hunters’ continue box office raid

Portal: B-

1. Portal - $25,013,017 (1st week)

2. Two Lonely Bounty Hunters - $21,955,097 (5th week) (-31.8%)

3. In The Valley - $14,381,683 (2nd week) (-55.2%)

4. Call of Duty: Of Their Own Accord - $12,961,408 (3rd week) (-50%)

5. Gold Diggers - $9,370,812 (2nd week) (-43%)

6. The Drowsy Chaperone - $7,449,975  (4th week) (-39.4%)

7. Green Lantern Corps: Rise of the Manhunters - $6,429,978 (6th week) (-36.9%)

8. Best Friends - $1,368,819 (7th week) (-42.4%)

9. Steel Streaks - $809,071 (9th week) (-36.8%)

10. The Epsilon Syndicate: Union of Thieves - $419,975 (12th week) (-11%)

June 11-13: ‘Psyren’ mindblows the competition

Psyren - B+

1. Psyren - $37,957,274 (1st week)

2. Two Lonely Bounty Hunters - $14,600,675 (6th week) (-33.5%)

3. Portal - $11,380,923 (2nd week) (-54.5%)

4. Gold Diggers - $6,840,263 (3rd week) (-27%)

5. In The Valley - $6,730,628 (3rd week) (-53.2%)

6. Call of Duty: Of Their Own Accord - $6,545,511 (4th week) (-49.5%)

7. The Drowsy Chaperone - $4,881,184 (5th week) (-34.5%)

8. Green Lantern Corps: Rise of the Manhunters - $4,211,636 (7th week) (-34.5%)

9. Best Friends - $800,760 (8th week) (-41.5%)

10. Steel Streaks - $527,351 (10th week) (-34.8%)

June 18-20: ‘Splatoon’ creates a splat at the box office

Forever Yours: A-

Splatoon: A

1. Splatoon - $56,720,760 (1st week)

2. Psyren - $19,370,070 (2nd week) (-49%)

3. Forever Yours - $13,198,808 (1st week)

4. Two Lonely Bounty Hunters - $8,848,788 (7th week) (-39.4%)

5. Portal - $5,636,844 (3rd week) (-50.5%)

6. Gold Diggers - $4,972,689 (4th week) (-27.3%)

7. Call of Duty: Of Their Own Accord - $3,501,970 (5th week) (-46.5%)

8. In The Valley - $3,449,447 (4th week) (-48.7%)

9. The Drowsy Chaperone - $3,074,955 (6th week) (-37%)

10. Green Lantern Corps: Rise of the Manhunters - $2,842,875 (8th week) (-32.5%)

June 25-27: ‘Road Trip’ treads behind ‘Splatoon’, ‘Wii Sports’ strikes out

An Odd Road Trip - B-

Wii Sports - C-

1. Splatoon - $30,602,976 (2nd week) (-46%)

2. An Odd Road Trip - $23,589,148 (1st week)

3. Psyren - $10,885,979 (3rd week) (-43.8%)

4. Wii Sports - $7,592,062 (1st week)

5. Forever Yours - $7,034,965 (2nd week) (-46.7%)

6. Two Lonely Bounty Hunters - $6,141,649 (8th week) (-30.6%)

7. Portal - $3,686,496 (4th week) (-34.6%)

8. Gold Diggers - $3,232,365 (5th week) (-35%)

9. Call of Duty: Of Their Own Accord - $2,406,551 (6th week) (-31.3%)

10. Green Lantern Corps: Rise of the Manhunters - $2,345,112 (9th week) (-17.5%)

• Like 4