Crowd Reports Thread

G.I. Joe Retaliation

March 28, 4:20 PM, 15% full

Portage 16 IMAX, Portage, IN

Trailers

White House Down - Murmurs

World War Z - No reaction

Red 2 - No reaction

Star Trek Into Darkness - Murmurs, I was disappointed it was the Oz trailer and not the great international trailer.

Audience wasn't alive, but my group thought it was hilarious, as did I. Some other people joined in the laughter too. Good time.

Noticed tons of sold out showings for The Croods

GI Joe 2

2PM about 90% full. (Very diverse age range also)

Trailers:

Fast 6: Talking.

World War Z: Looks cheesy and they really have overdone the zombie genre. Laughs at the title...does not look good for this.

Red 2: Looks fun, tons of laughs and talking.

Star Trek 2: Looks good, some talking.

White House Down: Silence. Heard some whispers though.

Wolvierine 2: Looks dark and good.

Movie: Loads of fun. Really enjoyed The Rock in this. The audience really enjoyed this also.

B+

Have just seen G.I. JOE: RETALIATION. Of course there were a lot of flaws but still, enjoyable. On par with the first. There were things in the first that I liked more, and there were things in this that were better.

Ξ

Edited by kayumanggi

Posted Image

10 Things I Hate About You

12:01AM Saturday (Friday Night), March 29th

The Coolidge

Theater Capacity: 200 (75% full)

Ticket Price: $9.25

Concessions: n/a

TRAILERS: none

THE FILM:

I've probably watched this film at least twenty times by now and it never gets old. The whole audience made this film a celebration of Heath Ledger and Joseph Gordon Levitt, and the number of 1990's staples throughout this movie was a joy to the crowd of 20-something-year-olds sitting in the theater. The writing is sharp and witty as ever, the gorgeous Seattle/Tacoma, Washington setting makes me hate myself for still having not visited that part of the country yet, and the innocence of the film's young stars who would go onto global recognition later is attributable to their performances in this film.

Classic scenes like Patrick Verona singing Frankie Vallie's "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" to Kat Stratford on the stadium stairs and rock band Letter of Cleo performing "I Want You To Want Me" from the roof of Stadium High School remain indelible memories for the dozens of us in the crowd that remember envying everyone from this film when we were children. I'm so happy the Coolidge brought this back to the big screen--such a fun time at the movies!

Experience - 30/30

Story/Writing - 19/20

Acting - 14/15

Tech Specs (Cinematography, Editing, Effects) - 13/15

Directing - 8/10

Music - 10/10

THE VERDICT: 94/100, A

Edited by Andy Stitzer 2

The Croods - 2D4:30, about 70-80% fullTrailers:Smurfs 2 - Kids recognized the trailer instantly, quite a few laughsDespicable Me 2 - Some laughter, I presume it was the teaser trailerEpic - Silent throughout, looks promising thoughMovie: Started off well, started to drag a little then it really picked up. Enjoyed it.B

Posted Image

Jurassic Park IMAX 3D

9:45PM Friday, April 5th

Jordans Furniture Tempur-pedic IMAX - Reading

Theater Capacity: 500 (100% SOLD OUT!)

Ticket Price: $12.75

Concessions: n/a

TRAILERS:

Man of Steel - looks good in IMAX 3D (surprised to see a 3D movie with Christopher Nolan's name attached to it). Silence, no reaction.

THE FILM:

Epic.

There was applause at the beginning and the end. The energy pulsating through the audience during John Williams' pinnacle original score is magical.

This movie is the epitome of what makes going to the movies special. Everyone do yourselves a favor and spend a few hours with your friends or families watching this movie on the big screen again while you still can. You won't regret it.

Experience - 30/30

Story/Writing -20/20

Acting - 15/15

Tech Specs (Cinematography, Editing, Effects) - 15/15

Directing - 10/10

Music - 10/10

THE VERDICT: 100/100, A+

• Like 1

Evil Dead:

7:55pm

90% full

Trailers:

The Purge - some talk, except for the dystopian setting it looks too much like The Strangers

Iron Man 3 - whispers

You're Next - silence, looked too similar to The Purge

This is the End - BIG laughs

The Conjuring - screams, great reaction

Carrie - chatter

Movie: B-

Not particularly scary (minus a couple moments), but entertaining and well-made nonetheless. Jane Levy and Lou Taylor Pucci (best character) give strong performances and the makeup/gore factor is quite splendid. Fernandez's older brother character gets a little annoying at times with his refusal to believe anything supernatural is occurring despite one of his friends cutting her own face open and attacking them. Visually stimulating, though I think the relatively low-contrast lighting (for a horror movie) brought the scare level down a few pegs. Many scenes were just too bright.

• Like 1

The Croods

April 7, 4:20 PM, 30% full

Trailers

Monsters University - a few "I wanna see that!"s

Turbo - No reaction, but I'd never seen this trailer before. Pretty sure it's not online.

Despicable Me 2 - tons of laughs from the kids

Epic - I was groaning from the voice cast. One of my friends thought it was Ferngully. :P

Audience was full of little kids, and thus, lots of laughing at the slapstick and other humor. Round of applause from the kids alone at the end of the movie. I really enjoyed it though.

The Croods

April 7, 4:20 PM, 30% full

Trailers

Monsters University - a few "I wanna see that!"s

Turbo - No reaction, but I'd never seen this trailer before. Pretty sure it's not online.

Despicable Me 2 - tons of laughs from the kids

Epic - I was groaning from the voice cast. One of my friends thought it was Ferngully. :P

Audience was full of little kids, and thus, lots of laughing at the slapstick and other humor. Round of applause from the kids alone at the end of the movie. I really enjoyed it though.

Oh yeah, that crappy animated enviormentalist movie in which Robin Williams was a psycho bat?

• Like 1

OBLIVION

SM North Edsa, Quezon City, The Philippines

04.11.2013 | 6:15 PM | 20% Full

Posted Image

Despite some questionable parts, the film's subtle and brilliant ideas are as amazing

as its gorgeous but necessary visuals. Less is more.

Edited by kayumanggi

Posted Image

The Place Beyond the Pines

8:25PM Wednesday, April 10th

AMC Boston Common 19 & Lie-MAX

Theater Capacity: 196 (20% full)

Ticket Price: $12.00

Concessions: premium ice cream cookie sandwich, $3.75

TRAILERS:

The Prey - action movie with little dialogue in trailer (possibly a foreign language movie), got a mixed reaction and some talking from audience.

Disconnect - weird trailer, my friend next me said "Who pays to make this sh!t?" Haha.

Now You See Me - cool magic movie pretending to be a Christopher Nolan/David Fincher movie, I'm interested. Good reaction.

Iron Man 3 - great trailer, complete silence from the audience

The Great Gatsby - same great trailer with great music, no reaction

Trance - all the hallmarks of a Danny Boyle film, some talking

Oblivion - great trailer, good reaction

THE FILM:

My friends and I went into this film knowing only what we saw from the trailer: it's a drama with a lot of actors we like on screen. I was joking before it started that if it's anything like director Derek Cianfrance's Blue Valentine, there would be a lot of fighting, a trip to an abortion clinic, and some very graphic sex. There are the visual similarities between Blue Valentine and The Place Beyond the Pines (along with their obvious casting choice of Ryan Gosling); however, the the differences between the two lay mainly in the fate of each's characters. It probably comes off as wrong to consistently compare two movies in a report, but I feel compelled to remind people that Blue Valentine was a movie I really loved whose central characters were two people I unequivocally hated. HATED! The Place Beyond the Pines is so fascinating because it shows the best and the worst of so many people, I'm still perplexed as to how I finally feel about the characters in this movie.

The movie really has three parts and they're all connected by a couple key (very f*ck3d up) events. Ryan Gosling's performance in this film makes up for the disaster that was Gangster Squad. Bradley Cooper really works double duty in this picture and gives the most multi-layered performance spanning across many years' time (side note, I realize now his characters do this in Limitless and sort of in Silver Linings Playbook as well--something he must look for in a screenplay). It's intriguing to compare his own transformation with those of the people immediately around him over time. She didn't have enough screen time, but I was most impressed by Eva Mendez in this movie. This was definitely the most mature role I've seen her in and you're hard-pressed not to feel sorry for all the unfortunate predicaments that affect her character through absolutely no fault of her own.

I felt that the musical score and the soundtrack selection for this picture were both very thoughtfully crafted and selected. The editing was interesting in the sense that very little time was wasted in setting up the scenes or filling them up with unnecessary shots. I can only think of one single shot in the whole movie that left me scratching my head afterwards as to why it was left there, but even thinking about that a little more I can almost understand what the director must've been going for with it (in case you're wondering, the scene is of Rosa Byrne's character looking out her window at Bradley Cooper's character in their garage). Despite the great editing, the movie still has a VERY long 140-minute run time and feels that way, albeit conveying a very loaded story.

Had this come out later in the year, I could see The Place Beyond the Pines getting a lot of positive awards buzz for anything ranging from screenplay to acting to direction. I cannot really imagine this becoming a mainstream box office hit but definitely believe the movie possesses all of the features of a great film. It was hard to read the audience's reaction to the movie once it ended, mostly because it leaves you with a lot to think about. While there's only one character from the film that I really didn't like (Ray Liotta, but I never like his characters), the picture is full of people that almost leave you open to decide whether they're ultimately good or bad; right or wrong; moral or immoral. If you liked Gone Baby GoneBlue ValentineDrive, or The Fighter, I would strongly recommend watching this movie.

Experience - 25/30

Story/Writing - 20/20

Acting - 15/15

Tech Specs (Cinematography, Editing, Effects) - 13/15

Directing - 9/10

Music - 10/10

THE VERDICT - 92 / 100, A

Scary Movie 5

April 11, 2:50 PM, 80% full

Trailers

Iron Man 3 - No reaction (first time I've seen this trailer play in a theater)

Into The Darkness - No reaction

Snitch - No reaction, though crowd seemed into it

Some laughter throughout, beginning was hilarious but the rest kind of went downhill. Didn't expect much from the film anyway and the cast and crew probably didn't either so they had fun with the film.

Grade: C-

Edited by Wormow

olympus has fallen 

9.20pm MEGAPLEX 7 CINEMAS 20% full but its thursday night , cinema has slow attendance until weekend days

i only saw oblivion trailer, which i still am not sure what's going on in it

the film :

i'll admit after seeing red dawn i was skeptic, but good reviews here is what decided me to go see this ...

me in the beginning WHAT THE F....!!!! where's the police ? where's the air force , until it dawns on me pretty neat plan by the bad guys successive waves that didnt raise too much response , like two jets to stand down a bomber

this film was gore , it might not have been a lot of us, but there was this group of people late 20s , and particularly one guy was having a ball watching this film ,reacting to everything! good film good action did decently with gerard butler's character!

i have all the confidence in FOX that they're watching and will deliver the real version starring jack bauer! seriously i could not believe those secret services guys , what did they get their training at mcdonald ? and of course the mole pff 

gosh this film made me wanna rewatch 24 lol , the eery part was how the film was in synch with the news cycle right now regarding north korea 

well i sure hope in reality they'd have a better response time, took less than 15 mn to take down the white house, then again after 9/11 i'm ever the skeptic regarding america's capability to warn off an attack, i don't doubt them getting their shit together after the fact but the problem is with letting shit happen in the first place! 

i always wonder though as fellow asians, what do the actor playing north korean feel about their role?

• Like 1

Oblivion - IMAX

April 13, 4:30PM - 50% Full

Trailers:

None

Movie was okay. The plot had a lot of potential but I felt like it fell short of it. Visuals were great though, but I could see the green screen outline in some scenes... (look out for the bobble head!) Some of the plot lines were predictable. Was an okay movie. Audience didn't say much throughout. 

Grade: C-

The Place Beyond the Pines

11:45 AM, 60% full

Crowd reactions: Complete silence

Grade: A

I have only seen two other films in theaters this year, both of which were underwhelming and this one was just what I needed. It's intense, thoughtful and absolutely heartbreaking, just like Cianfrance's debut, Blue Valentine. Even if it's not your cup of tea, I cannot comprehend leaving this one without a lasting impression.

• Like 1

Oblivion

2PM

About 70% full, mostly older people (as a side note some film called Home Run was sold out a few times...never even heard of it before today)

Trailers:

Mud: Never heard of this before. Looks like Mathew is really expanding his roles. Looks like a intresting period film-some laughs at the title though.

Hangover 3: Tons of laughs.The Heat: Laughs all over, looks kind of funny.RIPD: AKA Undead MIB. Tons of laughs came from Bridges in the trailer-mostly at the woman part when he is one that is.Fast 6: Looks decent.

Movie: Pretty good. Confusing at times, the ending is kind of strange. Kind of boring though at times, but not too boring. Cruise was well Cruise. (Who I swear wears a hair piece). The music was pretty good as was the visuals. The audience really enjoyed it.

B+