cannastop

The Boy and the Heron | Hayao Miyazaki | Studio Ghibli | GKIDS | NA Debut at TIFF | WINNER OF THE OSCAR FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

I would be extremely surprised if this won anything on the NA award circuit. It's too abstract.

Spoiler

Even knowing the background of 'it's something like a surrealist autobiography', I was still "ok we need to get on firmer footing" at points, it doesn't have to be 100% story driven, but I would have appreciated if maybe another 20 minutes had more story.

I still like it more than Spider-verse 2 because at least there's more time to breathe here and just enjoy the visuals.

Edited by Morieris

On 12/7/2023 at 8:49 AM, harrisonisdead said:

It probably doesn't have many more Metacritic reviews left in the tank, so it should stay in the 90s for the foreseeable future. That's wild. After those early rave festival reviews I expected it to go down at least a little, but if anything it's gone up.

Metacritics 44 reviews so far, still at 92

I think this film will end up with higher than 50 total reviews..... that is big on that side considering this film doesn't have very wide opening locations (only 2200, not yet 3000)

1 hour ago, harrisonisdead said:

That clearly hasn't deterred American critics, so idk why it would deter every awards body.

I'm looking at how city and state precursors are starting out:

I'm not sure if they would be HFPA / Academy voters as well.

Edited by Morieris

10 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I'm looking at how city and state precursors are starting out:

I'm not sure if they would be HFPA / Academy voters as well.

Unlikely considering those are critics circles. If you're including those, your prediction already holds false because the NYFCC (which is orders of magnitude more influential than the two you've cited -- the Michigan one has never even given out awards before, this is their first year) already awarded it to The Boy and the Heron.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, harrisonisdead said:

Unlikely considering those are critics circles. If you're including those, your prediction already holds false because the NYFCC (which is orders of magnitude more influential than the two you've cited -- the Michigan one has never even given out awards before, this is their first year) already awarded it to The Boy and the Heron.

I stand corrected.

$5.56M Friday (incl $2.39M Previews)

The Boy and the Heron is standing on high marks with an A- Cinemascore, 4 1/2 stars, and a 65% definite recommend. Mostly guys, not all, at 54% with 80% of those who watched between 18-34 and the largest demo being 25-34 at 44%. Diversity demos are 43% Caucasian, 22% Latino and Hispanic, 7% Black, and 27% Asian/other. PLF and Imax are driving 38% of the gross so far. While the West is strong for the Hayao Miyazaki movie, the AMC Boston Commons is the highest grossing cinema in the nation at $39K. We don’t see them often in the lead.

Edited by Issac Newton
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

I did think about Best Picture but Best Director &Best Score (⁠゜⁠o⁠゜⁠;

It'd be nice to honor Joe Hisaishi's career. One of the best, most iconic and influential composers around, yet he has never been recognized by the Oscars.

I don't expect anything outside Animated Feature but that would be a good one to dream about. I'd at least consider it more of a possibility than Picture or Director. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, The Panda said:

As the academy is anti-cool, I assume this will not win Animated Feature because it’s 100x cooler than Spider-Verse 2

Spider-Verse 2 chances were killed the moment that story about overworked animators broke. There is no way the academy would go for that in a year consumed by the historic dual strikes. 

Heron is the frontrunner, no matter how unwilling some are to accept that reality.

• Like 1