cannastop

The Boy and the Heron | Hayao Miyazaki | Studio Ghibli | GKIDS | NA Debut at TIFF | WINNER OF THE OSCAR FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

2 hours ago, ZeroHour said:

The Academy does not care about the working conditions for ATSV. Ya’ll are way overestimating these people. If Heron wins, it won’t be because of any of that. 

i mean Heron should win because it’s actually a complete movie and easily the better film point blank

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, The Panda said:

i mean Heron should win because it’s actually a complete movie and easily the better film point blank

I haven't seen the second Spider-Verse but I'd say The Boy and the Heron basically smokes everything animation-wise for a long while.

• Thanks 1

it is not uncommon to see both New York and LA to agree on their best animation. Happened four times in the past decade but this is still a major victory for heron to up against spiderverse.

If Miyazaki can attend some events at here in NA especially in the later stage of the campaign, then the momentum is perfect. 

• Like 1

This movie is glorious. Totally glorious. To say it satisfied me as a Miyazaki film infinitely more than The Wind Rises is a huge understatement.

Visually and audial are on a whole other level here. This is both Ghibli and Miyazaki’s magnum opus from a visual standpoint, and that’s one of the most daunting tasks this could have ever possibly achieved. Truly breathtaking and it does feel like a culmination of everything Miyazaki has learned as an animator over decades (visually).  

Score is mystical, foreboding, and enchanting. Give Hisaishi the damn Oscar, I’m not remotely joking. But it is a total joke if it’s not a lock for a nom there. 

The narrative was nowhere near as hard to comprehend as I was expecting. Yes, it’s surreal and obtuse, but the general vibe and themes being attempted here are pretty easily understood to me, so that saves it from being messy for me.

And I always know I need multiple viewings for Miyazaki to get my full opinion on the narrative. It might also be knowing to expect his most abstract movie ahead of time. I can probably see how the Japanese audience who had no info at all going in could have been caught off guard.

Love these very strong audience metrics DOM so far, RT audience score is spectacular. How wild if DOM is the audience that is most receptive to it, but I hope so for the legs. Early ranking would be slightly above Mononoke and slightly outside his masterpiece trio (Spirited, Howl’s, and Totoro) for me. Dont think it will go up on repeats, but you never know and the fact it gets anywhere near those for me is the most I could have ever expected. He’s 82, what?!?!

Oh, and it’s winning that animation Oscar unless way too many members decide to not watch it at all. This could totally get into BP with the right awareness with the Academy, come on Ghibli get on that awards season grind! 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

it is not uncommon to see both New York and LA to agree on their best animation. Happened four times in the past decade but this is still a major victory for heron to up against spiderverse.

If Miyazaki can attend some events at here in NA especially in the later stage of the campaign, then the momentum is perfect. 

Miyazaki will stay in Japan and let all of you guys in town keep admiring him.

• Haha 3

sight-sound-winter-2023-24-1.jpg

Seems like only 2 animations manage into enter BFI's "SIGHT AND SOUND" Magazine

Spoiler
1. Killers of the Flower Moon
2. The Zone of Interest
3. Past Lives
4. Poor Things
5. Oppenheimer
6. Barbie
7. Passages
8. Anatomy of a Fall
9. Do Not Expect Too Much from the End of the World
10. May December
11. Close Your Eyes
12. All of Us Strangers
13. Tár
14. Asteroid City
15. Saint Omer
16. Fallen Leaves
17. Totem
18. Last Summer
19. How to Have Sex
20. Return to Seoul
21. Evil Does Not Exit
22. La Chimera
23. Afire
24. Inside the Yellow Cocoon Shell
25. The Boy and the Heron
26. Rotting in the Sun
27. The Fabelmans
28. The Delinquents
29. Beau Is Afraid
30. The Beast
31. Talk to Me
32. Music
33. Hit Man
34. The Taste of Things
35. One Fine Morning
36. Infinity Pool
37. The Human Surge 3
38. Trenque Lauquen
39. Samsara
40. Suzume
41. Rye Lane
42. Reality
43. Priscilla
44. A Prince
45. Our Body
46. Menus-Plaisirs - Les Troisgros
47. The Killer
48. The Holdovers
49. Earth Mama
50. All Dirt Roads Taste of Salt
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Danhjpn said:

Ok, do you know when all of these events happen? How much is the chance for this film to win any of them? 

St. Louis, Las Vegas, Chicago are regional small level stuff those don’t matter.

National Society of Film Critics does not have a animation category, or do nominations, or runner-ups, etc. They just announce winners. Heron wouldn’t get anything there. Anatomy of a Fall or Zone of Interest will win best Foreign Film. And winning any of the other categories of Best film, director, or screenplay doesn’t make any sense as a result. It competing with live action movies there that they will always prefer, and honoring Scorsese’s possible last movie (KOTFM) is more important to them than Miyazaki’s possible last movie.

Golden Globes is more like a casual popularity contest. This would be the first time Miyazaki is even nominated and it’s probably only cause it came out in December. High brow stuff like this doesn’t appeal there.

BAFTA is probably an easy win for Spiderverse. Empire Magazine had Spiderverse as their #5 movie of the year, and two time BAFTA winner Daniel Kaluuya (British) is part of the voice cast for that movie, and one of the more prominent characters. Three time BAFTA nominee Daniel Pemberton (British) also wrote the score. I don’t see Heron winning there at all.

Annie Awards Spiderverse will win all the technical rewards, and probably the best animated feature award. Heron will win best director, storyboarding, writing, and best independent film. They have a best overseas animation, and best animation overall category.

Heron can win critics choice for best animated feature. Will it? Don’t know. But it’s more likely than anywhere else.

That’s about how it will shake out.

Edited by Valencia