cannastop

The Boy and the Heron | Hayao Miyazaki | Studio Ghibli | GKIDS | NA Debut at TIFF | WINNER OF THE OSCAR FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

6 hours ago, cannastop said:

The movie's gross was over-estimated.

It actually made 2.14 billion yen over 4 days. 1.35 million admissions, 1585 yen ticket average.

goddamn why are japanese tickets so expensive? I would have thought that much like the food etc it would be much cheaper 

1 hour ago, handofjustice said:

goddamn why are japanese tickets so expensive? I would have thought that much like the food etc it would be much cheaper 

the theater food is cheap but the ticket is expensive.

1400 yen is the average ticket price... that's $10.12 US dollars at current exchange rates so not too expensive. but the Yen is very weak lately.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Wait… so Miyazaki did not actually animate this?!? 

Miyazaki had an INSANE workload for the movies Princess Mononoke and before.

He delegated some of these responsibilities for Spirited Away on.

And it sounds like he delegated even more this time? Maybe bringing in another storyboard artist, but I'm not sure.

In any case, he directed and wrote this movie, so his fingerprint is on it.

But also consider that his movies have had dozens if not hundreds of animators on them already. he doesn't literally draw everything, never did. He used to check everything personally though and draw every storyboard.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Miyazaki had an INSANE workload for the movies Princess Mononoke and before.

He delegated some of these responsibilities for Spirited Away on.

And it sounds like he delegated even more this time? Maybe bringing in another storyboard artist, but I'm not sure.

In any case, he directed and wrote this movie, so his fingerprint is on it.

But also consider that his movies have had dozens if not hundreds of animators on them already. he doesn't literally draw everything, never did. He used to check everything personally though and draw every storyboard.

Yeah I mean I already knew he wasn’t going solo here on the animation or anything, but I thought he was the lead animator at least… that clip implied he didn’t really touch the animation side of it. 

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah I mean I already knew he wasn’t going solo here on the animation or anything, but I thought he was the lead animator at least… that clip implied he didn’t really touch the animation side of it. 

Hmm I'm not sure he's been a straight animator in a long time.

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Hmm I'm not sure he's been a straight animator in a long time.

It was just my understanding he was always extremely hands on in the animation. That clip states as well Miyazaki was always involved in creating every image in his movies, but this time they handed it over. Unless they got their facts wrong. Idk, just a little disappointing if he was way more hands off here in the art. 

Informally referred to in English-language press by its tentative title, How Do You Live, the official international title is unveiled as THE BOY AND THE HERON. The hand-drawn, animated feature — director Miyazaki's first feature film in 10 years — opens exclusively in Japanese cinemas this weekend. In an unprecedented decision by Studio Ghibli, no images, trailers, synopses, advertisements, or other information about the film have been made available to the public prior to its release in theaters in Japan. In keeping with this policy, GKIDS will not release any further details or marketing materials at this time.

3 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

In keeping with this policy, GKIDS will not release any further details or marketing materials at this time.

I thought they announced this last week...

I do expect GKIDS to have other marketing materials in maybe December this year.

10 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Will know tomorrow I guess

TIFF just announced a bunch of films. It was not announced for TIFF (yet). It's rumored to be the opening night film, and they haven't yet announced that one, so its still possible.

• Like 1

• Like 2
  • Heart 1