cannastop

The Boy and the Heron | Hayao Miyazaki | Studio Ghibli | GKIDS | NA Debut at TIFF | WINNER OF THE OSCAR FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

7 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

how do I interpret those numbers?

how good is a 4.2?

i don't know much about japan but top gun maverick and rrr were 4.5 and 4.4 respectively, they do seem to go easier on foreign films 

right now the rating has dropped down to 3.9 as far as i can see

demon slayer is 4

suzume is 3.9

wind rises is 3.7 

spirited away is 4.1 

your name is 3.8

that's..... whelming? I don't know, ratings on the site are all over the place as you can see and not that indicative of quality honestly 

I am a bit panicky because it seems to be falling pretty fast, it was 4.2 last I checked, then 4, and now 3.9 

There a some early reactions on letterboxd from people who don't know japanese too

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

A Symphonic Celebration (Music from the Studio Ghibli Films of Hayao Miyazaki)」 - released on June 30.

Not Miyazaki's "How Do You Live?" Song. Will be available on August.

Ok that's a little different, lol, but still a testament to how much Ghibli/anime culture has become mainstream here.

• Like 1

Two Works of Miyazaki ranked into All-Time Best WOM Work (¥10B+ Grossers) -

順位 タイトル 映画.com Filmarks Yahoo!映画 MovieWalker 合計
1 トップガン マーヴェリック 4.5 4.5 4.7 4.7 18.4 92.0%
2 THE FIRST SLAM DUNK 4.2 4.4 4.3 4.6 17.5 87.5%
3 ボヘミアン・ラプソディ 4.2 4.2 4.5 4.3 17.2 86.0%
4 タイタニック 4.1 4.1 4.3 4.5 17.0 85.0%
5 もののけ姫 4.1 4.1 4.3 4.4 16.9 84.5%
6 アラジン 4.0 4.1 4.3 4.5 16.9 84.5%
7 千と千尋の神隠し 4.1 4.1 4.2 4.4 16.8 84.0%
8 劇場版 呪術廻戦 0 3.9 4.1 4.2 4.6 16.8 84.0%
9 劇場版「鬼滅の刃」無限列車編 3.9 4.0 4.0 4.6 16.5 82.5%
10 ジュラシック・パーク 3.9 3.8 4.2 4.6 16.5 82.5%
11 ハリー・ポッターと賢者の石 3.8 4.0 4.0 4.4 16.2 81.0%
12 君の名は。 4.0 3.8 4.1 4.3 16.2 81.0%
13 美女と野獣 3.9 4.0 4.1 4.2 16.2 81.0%
14 E.T. 3.8 3.8 4.1 4.4 16.1 80.5%
15 アルマゲドン 3.9 3.9 3.8 4.4 16.0 80.0%

Princess Mononoke (5th) 16.9 pt / 84.5% RT

Spirited Away (7th) 16.8 pt / 84.0% RT

Impressions coming out of Japan seems to be that the movie indeed is based on the book, not sure why Miyazaki denied it. Looking at the symposiums of the book already tells you what this movie will be about.

Also that 70% of this movie is incomprehensible.

Edited by scytheavatar

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/how-do-you-live/.200280

Early American review from ANN, pretty glowing outside of a couple of quibbles.

I'm thinking it's possible it could be a critical darling but audiences are more "eh" on it, which happens. Especially since it sounds from early impressions this is one of Miyazaki's "artsier" films.

• Like 1

So apparently is artsy and not even rely that much on dialogues but in visuals 

I can easily see why audiences ratings doesn’t seem excepcional, but i’m so more excited now lol 

And it definitely sounds like something that will be highly praised by critics tho

• Like 1

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

So apparently is artsy and not even rely that much on dialogues but in visuals 

I can easily see why audiences ratings doesn’t seem excepcional, but i’m so more excited now lol 

And it definitely sounds like something that will be highly praised by critics tho

Yeah it sounds like Miyazaki's The Tale of Princess Kaguya which is fantastic to me. Also likely means Oscar nomination for Animated Feature is a lock if that's the case.

• Like 1

Music can be a driving factor. Elements mixes with "Princess Mononoke" &"Spirited Away" though not equivalently strong as them.

But, influence seems stronger than Shinkai's "Suzume" We will see how good Walkups goes on SAT &SUN.

Ratings at this point should be ignored until the weekend ends. We will note that thing later. 

11 minutes ago, cannastop said:

The score on filmarks is 3.9/5 which seems merely OK though

Eh, I guess you weren't present during "One Piece: Film Red". Got a lot of low scores until later audience watching has lowered the gap. Reached almost ¥20B (¥19.71B) Yeah, I won't underestimate Ado powers 

• Like 2

Just now, Issac Newton said:

Eh, I guess you weren't present during "One Piece: Film Red". Got a lot of low scores until later audience watching has lowered the gap. Reached almost ¥20B (¥19.71B) Yeah, I won't underestimate Ado powers 

Great movie by the way. Unsure how common of an opinion it is but I found Film Red to be one of One Piece's strongest theatrical entries, lots of great experimental animation and Goro Taniguchi brings his signature weirdness and focus on emotion>story that he learned from Code Geass over to it. It makes sense that it made as much as it did.

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-66197993

The film is full of Miyazaki's signature obsessions, quirks and thematic concerns. There are the usual visual treats, like cute yet eerie creatures, great-looking food and gravity-defying flights of fancy - primarily hand-drawn and moving with the fluidity and sense of weight that mark the master animator's work.

Thematically, as in films like Kiki's Delivery Service and Spirited Away, How Do You Live is a coming-of-age tale in which a child must overcome his selfishness and learn to live for others.

How Do You Live also echoes the director's own biography

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

Great movie by the way. Unsure how common of an opinion it is but I found Film Red to be one of One Piece's strongest theatrical entries, lots of great experimental animation and Goro Taniguchi brings his signature weirdness and focus on emotion>story that he learned from Code Geass over to it. It makes sense that it made as much as it did.

One Piece Red was the first thing I'd watched of the series since the first episode way back when. I thought it was decent, did a pretty good job being standalone enough where I could enjoy it for the most part, even if I wouldn't get the same kick out of it as fans would.