cannastop

The Boy and the Heron | Hayao Miyazaki | Studio Ghibli | GKIDS | NA Debut at TIFF | WINNER OF THE OSCAR FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

8 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

“We would see the poster and one or two lines of description and fill in the blanks with our imagination” is EXACTLY how I decide to watch movies now! What I do is I’ll look at the “coming soon” tab on the Event Cinemas website, check out the posters and descriptions and decide “I might want to watch that” and mentally mark it for myself. I highly recommend this way of deciding what to watch.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, harrisonisdead said:

Apparently "The Boy and the Heron" was Suzuki's idea, but still haven't heard what the reason is behind the change

According to Steve Alpert's book, Suzuki chooses the foreign titles. Why he prefers only he knows?¿

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

3.7 Letterboxd start

4.32 true average fwiw. Letterboxd's new rating weight system has made the early displayed averages even more useless than before. But for reference, Nimona started out showing a 3.7 (& a 4.27 true average) with a similar number of reviews (~250 rn), jumped up to a 4.2, then has since settled at 4.0, all within like a few days. (Here we probably won't see any significant change in the displayed/weighted rating until the US release since much of Letterboxd's user base is American.)

Edited by harrisonisdead
  • Like 1

Also in IMAX, Toho’s The Boy and the Heron from Japanese maestro Hayao Miyazaki (aka How Do You Live?) set a new 3-day IMAX opening weekend record in Japan with $1.7M from 44 screens. We are waiting on official numbers on the overall launch on that film in Japan and will update accordingly. 

@titanic2187

thanks

https://deadline.com/2023/07/tom-cruise-mission-impossible-dead-reckoning-part-one-opening-china-global-international-box-office-1235438237/

• Thanks 1

I am not sure how it's an "new" IMAX record in Japan - given with the fact that "Demon Slayer: Mugen Train" did $2.26M / 38 SC (2nd Weekend at IMAX was $2.06M). Even, "Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker" did $1.92M. Unless, they break those numbers into Local Currency (given with horrible ER), it's not only hard to understand but confusing.

53 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Will have a premiere at 80th Venice Film Festival

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2023/7/i3nlhsxk68y0w4oc5in6l8wy167vlh 

Funny that the article is calling it a "world premiere" when it's already screening to the public in Japan. Anyways, I wonder if it could make an appearance at TIFF as well

• Like 1