Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

There were hardly any 2d shows. Some cinemas didn't have any at all.

Think WB should had more 2D showings, I know 3D is the best format for the film but I think they would have maybe earned more by having more than a handful of showings. 

I'm quite looking forward to seeing it soon, 

It really is something to be seen in 3D, Imax if you can. If I'd have seen than in 2D, it'd have been no where near as engaging or enjoyable.

I've been quite impressed with 3D films from established directors like Ang Lee and Baz Luhrmann so Gravity I have high hopes for.

Warner Bros’ sci-fi soars to a stunning $9.9m (£6.2m) debut, including previews, from its 543 sites; StudioCanal sets second best year ever at the UK box office as Rush crosses £10m.

Continuing its fantastic international run, Gravity has landed at the UK box office, hammering Thor: The Dark World from the top spot on debut.

Warner Bros’ critically acclaimed sci-fi posted an outstanding $9.9m (£6.2m) opening, including around $961,000 (£600,000) in previews, from its 543 sites at a mighty average of $18,381 (£11,478). $8.9m (£5.57m) ofGravity’s entire opening came from 3D performances, a share of 89.5%.

The debut marks director Alfonso Cuarón’s second-best UK debut, unsurprisingly behind Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban’s $38.3m (£23.9m) debut which included $23.1m (£14.4m) in previews.

Discounting Harry PotterGravity is already Cuarón’s best performer at the UK box office, surpassing Children of Men’s entire UK run of $7.8m (£4.86m).

It’s also one of the best debuts for an original sci-fi in recent years, surpassing the likes of Oblivion ($7.9m/£4.95m) and Elysium ($5m/£3.13m) as well as coming close to Prometheus’ $10.6m (£6.6m) bow last year.

Also for Warner Bros, Woody Allen’s best-ever UK performer Blue Jasmine added $94,500 (£59,000) for $7.96m (£4.97m) to date.

DISNEY

Last week’s champion Thor: The Dark World fell to second as it dropped 47% week-on-week, excluding previews, to post a second weekend of $4.8m (£2.97m).

Disney’s latest Marvel outing is now up to $22.4m (£13.97m) in the UK and will shortly surpass its predecessor’s $22.4m (£14.04m) UK run. In terms of other Marvel outings, The Dark World’s next target will be Iron Man’s $27.9m (£17.4m).

Iron Man 3’s $58.4m (£36.5m) will likely prove a target too far, but The Dark World has a great chance of ending its run as Marvel’s third-best UK performer if it can chase down Iron Man 2’s $33.9m (£21.2m).

Also for Disney, animations Planes and Monsters University have amassed $14.2m (£8.9m) and $49m (£30.6m), respectively.

FOX

Climbing one place to third following a sensational hold that saw it drop just 4%, Fox’s Philomena took $2.2m (£1.4m).

An auspicious first week has Stephen Frears’ based on real life drama at a ten-day tally of $7.6m (£4.8m), with £10m a definite possibility if it continues to post healthy midweek numbers thanks to critical acclaim and strong word-of-mouth.

That would also see Philomena become Frears’ best-ever UK performer, currently The Queen’s $15m (£9.4m).

Also for Fox, Turbo crossed the £10m mark in its fourth week after coasting to $920,000 (£574,853). The animation now stands at $16.7m (£10.4m) and in terms of DreamWorks Animations outings in the UK, will soon overtake Antz’s $17.5m (£10.9m) tally.

SONY

Showcasing excellent resolve after dropping just 33% in its fourth weekend, Sony’s Captain Phillips grossed $1.8m (£1.1m) to chart fourth.

Paul Greengrass’ latest is now up to an impressive $21.5m (£13.4m) with £15m+ firmly in its sights. It is now Greengrass’ second best UK performer, having surpassedThe Bourne Supremacy’s $18.7m (£11.6m) before the weekend.

Also for Sony, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2rounded off this week’s top five as it added $1.5m (£950,000).

As a result, the animated sequel has crossed the £10m mark in its third weekend and currently stands at $16.3m (£10.2m).

PARAMOUNT

Falling a slim 31% in its third weekend, Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa took an additional $1.1m (£673,000) for $8.5m (£5.29m) to date through Paramount.

Bad Grandpa should become the best UK performer of theJackass franchise by next weekend at the latest, with only Jackass 3D’s $9.1m (£5.64m) to surpass.

EONE

Now in its third week of release, eOne’s sci-fi adaptationEnder’s Game stands at $4.5m (£2.8m) following a $277,000 (£173,230) weekend.

Also for eOne, critically acclaimed hit Prisoners has amassed a strong $11.6m (£7.2m), while Escape Planadded $149,000 (£93,137) for $4.3m (£2.7m) to date.

STUDIOCANAL

Having gone through the £10m barrier on Thursday night [Nov 7], StudioCanal’s Rush is up to $16.1m (£10.02m) following this weekend. 

With just China to release in terms of major markets, the UK performance of Ron Howard’s biopic represents 27% of the international performance and almost 19% of the worldwide haul.

As a result of Rush’s terrific run, StudioCanal has recorded its second highest year ever in terms of overall box office at $53.1m (£33.1m) to date. Other hits in 2013 includedAlan Partridge: Alpha Papa ($10m/£6.22m) and I Give It A Year ($9.9m/£6.16m).

2011 is StudioCanal’s best-ever year at the UK box office with $73.1m (£44.5m) as Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy led the way with $22.8m (£14.2m), while Unknown and Source Code provided $10.5m (£6.6m) and $9.7m (£6.1m), respectively.

UPCOMING RELEASES

This week sees saturation releases for Fox’s The Counsellor, Warner Bros’ Don Jon and Entertainment’sThe Butler.

StudioCanal’s In Fear, Eros’ Ram-leela and Lionsgate’sDom Hemingway all receive wide releases, while Sony’sBattle of the Year and Dartmouth Films’ Utopia are among the films receiving a limited release.

Congrats to Rush, Blue Jasmine & Philomena!! :wub: & Cap Phillips

Edited by Leyla

Hoping Gravity will drop below 35% this weekend and stay above £4m. With little competition, IMAX expansion and strong WOM, I don't see why not. That'd probably put it somewhere in the $20-22m range after Sunday.

As for openers, The Counsellor will probably flop like it did in the US. The Butler should do pretty well, but nothing close to Gravity. Thor should stabilise too.

Edited by Heretic

Top 10 Films At Vue Westfield Stratford/Westfield London/Harrow/Finchley Road [O2]

[*]GRAVITY 213 [180/23] NM [*]THOR: THE DARK WORLD 119 [68/51] NM [*]THE COUNSELLOR 64 HIGHEST NEW ENTRY [*]PHILOMENA 63 UP 2 [*]DON JON 60 NEW [*]CAPTAIN PHILIPS 59 DOWN 3 [*]DOM HEMINGWAY 57 New [*]CLOUDY 2 56 [50/6] DOWN 3 [*]THE BUTLER 49 NEW [*]TURBO 42 [34/8] DOWN 6

My predictions for box office gross for new entries

The Butler- £705,000

The Counsellor- £498,020

Don Jon- £400,000

Dom Hemingway- £250,000

In Fear- £42,000

Bomb Of The Year: Dream Team- £4,500

Gravity I think will have a good drop as will Philomena, this weekend is a breather before Catching Fire opens. 

I saw Saving Mr Banks on Monday and have to say I think it will be a hit with audiences, it'll not be number 1 due to CF but it'll have legs and appeal to the older audiences.