Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Yeh Beetlejuice Beetlejuice at my local every showing between 6-9pm will end up a sell out, some already are. Evening IMAX showing is busier than Alien was, about 80% full (440 seater).

Edited by Krissykins

I see Cineworld is trying to force people into PLF’s tonight for Beetlejuice, only two showings today at my local are in standard screens (17:30 and 20:20), all of the rest are IMAX, 4DX, ScreenX and the recliner screens.

Sales seem to have picked up though, although nothing is close to a sell out. The evening IMAX is just under half full (so about 200ish seats sold). Seems to be performing better at The Light with their biggest screen likely to sell out and a couple of smaller screens at about three quarters full.

My cineworld is being pretty decent about it for once, 9 standard evening shows. And thankfully they’re not pulling the Deadpool & Wolverine trick of making every IMAX showing 3D on opening weekend. 

Glad to see all IMAX showings are 2D. 

Edited by Krissykins

On 9/3/2024 at 2:00 PM, Krissykins said:

I’m still feeling confident about a £2m Friday though. Just a guess, but we’ll see. 

46 minutes ago, UKBoxOffice said:

1. Beetle £2.23m

2. IEWU £196k

3. D&W £158k

4. Greatest Of All Time £156k (£538k)

5. AR £147k

A good guess! Great start. 

• Like 2

Tim Burton’s Beetlejuice Beetlejuice debuts at No.1 with £7.3m. This is the fifth-biggest opening for the year so far, ahead of Bob Marley: One Love (£6.9m) and behind Despicable Me 4 (£8.8m). It’s also the fifth-biggest September opening of all time, almost matching It: Chapter Two’s £7.3m. For the director, whose titles have grossed a cumulative total of over £220m, this is the third-biggest opening, behind only 2005’s Charlie And The Chocolate Factory (£7.9m) and 2010’s Alice In Wonderland (£10.6m). The original Beetlejuice opened in 1988 with £527k and went on to a lifetime total of £3.6m. In our PostTrak exit poll, the highest rating of 4.5 stars came from Parents audience, with General and Kids rating it 4 and 3.5 stars respectively. The genre/type of film (31%) and the franchise (30%) were cited as the main reasons for attending among adults, while Kids were mainly influenced by their siblings with 28% saying my brother/sister wanted to see it even more than I did, as well as the trailer/adverts mentioned by 23%.
Moving up one spot, It Ends With Us is at No.2 this weekend with £668k, a drop of 42% in its fifth week of release. The romantic drama has now passed the £20m milestone to rank among the Top 20 titles of its genre, placing at No.19 ahead of 2001’s Moulin Rouge (£18.4m) and behind 1999’s Shakespeare In Love (£21.0m).
Deadpool & Wolverine adds a further £661k in its seventh week, dropping 46% and one place to sit at No.3. Shawn Levy’s MCU sequel now has a total to date of £55.9m.
Alien: Romulus remains at No.4 with £570k, a drop of 47% in its fourth week. Fede Alvarez’s horror picture has a total to date of £12.1m, overtaking Smile (£11.6m) and A Quiet Place Part II (£11.7m), and is about to surpass A Quiet Place (£12.2m). Only two horror titles that have grossed more in the last decade: It (£32.3m) and It: Chapter Two (£18.9m).
Despicable Me 4 is at No.5 in its ninth weekend with £543k, bringing its running total to £45.7m. Illumination's blockbuster sequel is now tracking only 4% behind the lifetime totals of Despicable Me 2 (£47.5m) and Despicable Me 3 (£47.8m).
At No.6 is the second-biggest opener of the weekend, The Greatest Of All Time with a 3-day total of £412k. Including previews, the Tamil-language Indian action film has a cumulative total of £768k and will place at No.2 in the official chart for the weekend.
Zoë Kravitz’s Blink Twice is at No.7 with £331k in its third weekend, a drop of 37%.
After thirteen weeks on release, Inside Out 2 remains in the chart placing at No.8 with £228k. Pixar's sequel is still the highest-grossing 2024 release, with £58.7m to date.
The Star Wars season continues with Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge Of The Sith placing at No.9 this weekend, adding £159k for a cumulative total of £39.2m.
Closing the chart is Kneecap at No.10 with £111k. Rich Peppiatt’s Irish comedy-drama has a running total of £1.6m.
Karim Aïnouz’s Firebrand starring Jude Law and Alicia Vikander opened at No.11; including previews, its total is £119k and will place at No.10 in the official chart.
The overall box office is up 34% from last weekend, and up 69% on the equivalent weekend in 2023 when The Nun 2 opened at No.1 with £1.7m, followed by Jawan opening at No.2 with £1.0m.
Year-to-date, 2024 is now running 12% behind the same period in 2023.
This week we have James McAvoy in horror remake Speak No Evil (Universal) opening on Thursday, followed on Friday by Kate Winslet-starring war biopic Lee (Studiocanal/Sky), The Critic (Lionsgate) starring Ian McKellen and Gemma Arterton, and the latest in the animated franchise Boonie Bears: Time Twist (Miracle/Dazzler)
  • Like 3

Excellent for Beetlejuice. I knew that 12A rating was really important. Kids contributed big time on Saturday. 

I went to see Rob Peace yesterday, I had never heard of it but my partner wanted to see it. Needless to say it hasn’t been mentioned in any of the reports lol

25 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Excellent for Beetlejuice. I knew that 12A rating was really important. Kids contributed big time on Saturday. 

I went to see Rob Peace yesterday, I had never heard of it but my partner wanted to see it. Needless to say it hasn’t been mentioned in any of the reports lol

Rob Peace #28 £29k

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Allanheimer said:

"Only two horror titles that have grossed more in the last decade: It (£32.3m) and It: Chapter Two (£18.9m)."

...and Alien: Covenant with £12.9m, the previous entry in the franchise.

The only horror in Covenant is the script 🙃

Hope DM4 ends up ahead of DM2 and DM3. It's already available on Sky but the weekend gross was still good.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Kinda wild that they managed to get away with that considering some of the stuff in it imo, especially when you remember the BBFC will revert to their old ways next month and slap Venom 3 with a 15 when the grisliest thing in it will be a couple of guys getting their heads bit off in a darkly lit shot with zero detail nor a drop of blood.