Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

It's sad to see that Avatar's going down soon, mainly as I preferred it to Skyfall, but I can't deny that watching something reach the summit is always great fun!

Can't agree there - Avatar's fine, but knowing it's number 1 primarily because of the once novel 3D always irked me.

It was, and the 3D was the thunder. (I have no interest in starting a debate on the merits of Avatar, but I think it's crazy to suggest that the novelty of the 3D wasn't the *primary* draw in those first few weeks. I have never denied its story was crowd-pleasing too.)

Edited by Hatebox

I remember reading somewhere once that suicide rates rose dramatically after Avatar was released...

I remember this lol, people were depressed that our planet was nothing like Pandora, but still 3D was the only reason liked Avatar :unsure: Edited by Jessie

Im still in shock that Skyfall is this big.... how?? It just makes no sense.

I am too. I mean you could say British patriotism Is at its highest for years, and the 50th anniversary and Adele theme song helped it, but £100m? There's no clear explanation for such an unprecedented number.
  • Like 1

I would put it down to patriotism. The Olympics certainly played their part. It might also be that the box office of late is consistently at its highest point since the 70s. Skyfall is caught up in it.

Edited by lab276

Im still in shock that Skyfall is this big.... how?? It just makes no sense.

By appointment of her Majesty the Queen.In old Austria tradesmen paid vast amounts of money to get the title "Hoflieferant" (which essentially means the same, or even better "Kammerlieferant" which meant that the Emperor himself used the products). What would they have paid if he would have appeared in a comercial to endorse the product? The Queen did it probably for love?

No, they are, it's just not on the odeon website. There was a site keeping up with which UK cinemas were but I can't remember which one it is.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/11/21/64780-complete-listing-of-theaters-showing-hobbit-hfr-3d-imax-3d-imax-dolby-atmos/UK is the last country on the list. They're showing it at both Empire and Odeon Leicester square, and Cineworld 2 in London.