Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Fell short of expectation ?

To me maybe yeah. The 3D show is what worries me. It should be well over half full now, not just under a third full. I really don't get it. It doesn't feel as big as it should either. I hear the odd group of people talking about it, but there's no palbable sense of excitement like there was for Skyfall, or even for Toy Story 3 when I was there first time around.

Our advance sales are really slow as well for The Hobbit.Skyfall was sold out Friday and Saturday night the Wednesday before it opened. The Hobbit is barely a quarter full :/Like Heretic says though, I think the walkups will be bigger, and it should do massive business once everyone starts finishing schoolwork for Christmas.

For TH.. At my local cinemas the 2D Thursday showings are 90% full, with Friday and Saturday still only 60%. This isnt unusual though and the bookings are picking up fast. We have more screens than we really need here. They rarely sell out, they didnt for BD2 ,TA or TDKR, even Skyfall had free seats for walk-up trade.3D is still slow in the older, larger cinema, but thats usual. The newer Vue is filling up well now and HFR is picking up slowly to.EDIT:3D at Vue is now at 90%, with only one VIP (premium) seat left on Thursday. Friday is at 75%.3D HFR is at about 50%, but it was way way down. I think the reviews might be putting people off the HFR, but not the movie as a whole.

Edited by Rovex

Looking ahead to 2013, what do we think will be hits at the box office? I'm thinking Les Miserables will do very well in January but the big hitters IMO will be Iron Man 3, Catching Fire, Star Trek into Darkness, Man of Steel, Despicable Me 2 and Monsters University. I can see Oz the Great and Powerful, Wreck it Ralph doing good business as well.