Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

8 minutes ago, UKBoxOffice said:

There's no way Barbie does 90m or even close to it. I think it'll drop off massively midweek. I wouldn't be surprised if Oppenheimer overtakes it on the midweek dailies actually

I think Oppy dailies will be carried hard by IMAX, the bigger screens are gone throughout the week already. I don't think that'll be enough to get overtake Barbie for this week. The following week? 

4 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I think Oppy dailies will be carried hard by IMAX, the bigger screens are gone throughout the week already. I don't think that'll be enough to get overtake Barbie for this week. The following week? 

Oppenheimer's big issue is really that the runtime makes it difficult to add more showtimes plus there are other films coming out like TMNT and The Meg 2 although the latter two affect MI more because of 4DX.

I think the drive to watch BARBIE asap is much bigger. OP crowd is patiently waiting to see the film in the biggest screen and best seats. Hence why I still haven't seen it being a huge Nolan fan. OP will have much better legs. Both are going to carve out an epic total. Probably 100m combined. 

5 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

I think the drive to watch BARBIE asap is much bigger. OP crowd is patiently waiting to see the film in the biggest screen and best seats. Hence why I still haven't seen it being a huge Nolan fan. OP will have much better legs. Both are going to carve out an epic total. Probably 100m combined. 

Will be interesting to see if there is a halo effect in the coming weeks. 

8 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Tricky thing is that.. general audience (at least here in Asia) seems to have mixed feelings after watching Oppenheimer; some call it the best Nolan film, some said they walked out of the theater midway.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Tricky thing is that.. general audience (at least here in Asia) seems to have mixed feelings after watching Oppenheimer; some call it the best Nolan film, some said they walked out of the theater midway.

same again, i dont want to talk about this in another country thread but just because you said about Asia, so i can said my opinion because i live there. 

I dont know about another country but in Indonesia, oppenheimer reception isn't that bad. 9.3 in major cinema chain score is very good actually, its even better than barbie. Also controlling all imax in 3 weeks help it's legs. 

Even bibo ( indonesia source for box office) in twitter said that 6m combined for barbie and oppenheimer is possible. that mean oppenheimer will get probably 2.5m, that's already bigger than dunkirk entire run here. 

lastly, A cinemascore and 5 star posttrak. what more ?

40 minutes ago, rayjulio said:

same again, i dont want to talk about this in another country thread but just because you said about Asia, so i can said my opinion because i live there. 

I dont know about another country but in Indonesia, oppenheimer reception isn't that bad. 9.3 in major cinema chain score is very good actually, its even better than barbie. Also controlling all imax in 3 weeks help it's legs. 

Even bibo ( indonesia source for box office) in twitter said that 6m combined for barbie and oppenheimer is possible. that mean oppenheimer will get probably 2.5m, that's already bigger than dunkirk entire run here. 

lastly, A cinemascore and 5 star posttrak. what more ?

Want to avoid derrailing the thread, so apologies that I started this in the UK thread.

To note the scores in Singapore, HK and Taiwan movies sites are strong too; but a lot of these people knows how to appreciate a deliberately paced character study film.

My observations of G.A. came from the premiere I attended on Wednesday - some people were using phone and walked out; and murmurs of how "boring" it was when the movie ended.. as well as the multiple Movie groups in Asia I am in (across Taiwan, HK, Sg, Msia) and from speaking to friends..

For avoidance of doubt, I loved it and hope it has good legs - and I genuinely hope my observations are wrong...

1 minute ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Walkouts probably due the fact that some people are used to big action on the big screen from Nolan and this is a dialogue heavy piece. UK reaction I gathered so far is amazing.

I mean it's a three hour biopic, neither Universal nor Nolan didn't mislead audiences about the subject matter. 

In regards to Barbie, I think it must be the highest WB's OW that isn't Harry Potter or Batman?

2 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Walkouts probably due the fact that some people are used to big action on the big screen from Nolan and this is a dialogue heavy piece. UK reaction I gathered so far is amazing.

Yeah I mean in 2008, The Dark Knight was the highest grossing film in almost every territory worldwide. While in Singapore and Malaysia - i think it was Kungfu Panda. 😅

Just glad the film (which I felt was incredible) is being appreciated in many other places!

9 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Want to avoid derrailing the thread, so apologies that I started this in the UK thread.

To note the scores in Singapore, HK and Taiwan movies sites are strong too; but a lot of these people knows how to appreciate a deliberately paced character study film.

My observations of G.A. came from the premiere I attended on Wednesday - some people were using phone and walked out; and murmurs of how "boring" it was when the movie ended.. as well as the multiple Movie groups in Asia I am in (across Taiwan, HK, Sg, Msia) and from speaking to friends..

For avoidance of doubt, I loved it and hope it has good legs - and I genuinely hope my observations are wrong...

ah yeah, i kind of agree with this. i think this movie will relate more in europe and usa. i think legs will not be crazy like 4x or more but 3.25-3.5x seems achievable. in asia probably will be average but imax for 3 weeks will help this movie everywhere i guess

Shows being added to keep up with demand. 6 post midnight shows at Vue Westfield Shepherds Bush for Barbie! Just insane. 

I think we could actually see some slight increases today for Barbie and Oppenheimer, or staying flat at least. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Shows being added to keep up with demand. 6 post midnight shows at Vue Westfield Shepherds Bush for Barbie! Just insane. 

I think we could actually see some slight increases today for Barbie and Oppenheimer, or staying flat at least. 

Is there going to be demand for all the post midnight showings, surely they'll cannibalise each other. 1-2 more I get but not 6.

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Is there going to be demand for all the post midnight showings, surely they'll cannibalise each other. 1-2 more I get but not 6.

Probably overkill tbh but I’ll check much later to see. The 12:20am show in the big screen at Stratford was over 75% full last night 

I'm always fascinated by what cinemas do the best numbers and I would imagine especially with Vue in both Westfields that the surrounding food places benefit enormously although if you're a cinema like Everyman, Picturehouse, Curzon that offers good food and drinks options, that can really bring in a lot of money especially with something like Oppenheimer.