Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

8 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

WB advised Cineworld that Beetlejuice Beetlejuice is very likely to be a 12A. 

As it's a fantasy film BBFC are more lenient as seen with The Hunger Games films and The Woman In Black, but then films like It Ends With Us get 15 having a real-life setting? 

1 hour ago, GreenbackBoogie said:

Looking at how presales are going at several Vue cinemas with many shows close to sellouts from 1pm to 9pm today. Could it top D&W today? Will it be front-load and will it be affected by 90f temperatures on Sunday?

@UKBoxOffice could confirm this I guess 

there are some 12A and some 15 trailers for Beetlejuice, but that doesn't mean it will definitely be a 15. If the horror\gore elements are more condensed then a trailer might get a 15 rating, but if it's fleeting within the wider work then it could sneak a 12A.

It Ends With Us should easily be #1 today

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, GreenbackBoogie said:

As it's a fantasy film BBFC are more lenient as seen with The Hunger Games films and The Woman In Black, but then films like It Ends With Us get 15 having a real-life setting? 

That’s precisely why they get more leniency, because they’re clearly fantastical and they assume that younger viewers will be able to tell the difference. If The Hunger Games was set in present day Brixton, or if The Woman In Black was about a serial killer stalking Daniel Radcliffe rather than a ghost, they’d have both received higher ratings (although the original Hunger Games is actually a 15 in its uncut form, and I believe The Woman in Black was borderline).

It Ends With Us is rated 15 for sexual violence and domestic abuse though, and the BBFC are always hard on both of those (sexual violence wouldn’t be suitable at all in a 12A in my opinion, surprised it’s a PG13 in the US to be honest).

• Like 1

It Ends With Us will likely be frontloaded, the weird thing is that it's taken a while for shows to sellout and you can easily get tickets for Saturday and Sunday.

1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

That’s precisely why they get more leniency, because they’re clearly fantastical and they assume that younger viewers will be able to tell the difference. If The Hunger Games was set in present day Brixton, or if The Woman In Black was about a serial killer stalking Daniel Radcliffe rather than a ghost, they’d have both received higher ratings (although the original Hunger Games is actually a 15 in its uncut form, and I believe The Woman in Black was borderline).

It Ends With Us is rated 15 for sexual violence and domestic abuse though, and the BBFC are always hard on both of those (sexual violence wouldn’t be suitable at all in a 12A in my opinion, surprised it’s a PG13 in the US to be honest).

Trap is a 15 as well but that makes a lot of sense given the premise. 

In Ireland, It Ends With Us is a 15A which means you can bring anyone under 15 with an adult but honestly I think there are some films where young kids shouldn't be allowed to see them even with parents. 

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice I think  it'll be 12A just because it's not scary but weird. It's more akin to Ghostbusters than a horror film. 

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It Ends With Us will likely be frontloaded, the weird thing is that it's taken a while for shows to sellout and you can easily get tickets for Saturday and Sunday.

Trap is a 15 as well but that makes a lot of sense given the premise. 

In Ireland, It Ends With Us is a 15A which means you can bring anyone under 15 with an adult but honestly I think there are some films where young kids shouldn't be allowed to see them even with parents. 

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice I think  it'll be 12A just because it's not scary but weird. It's more akin to Ghostbusters than a horror film. 

Could say the same thing about B&W as there was plenty of seats available Thurs-Sun for walk-ins.. Even at key sites like BFI IMAX didn't have a sellout show.

2 hours ago, GreenbackBoogie said:

Will National Cinema Day be August 31st? As latest Andre Reiu opens Sat/Sun in 500+ screens likely many cinemas won't be part of it and last year some indie exhibitors including Everyman weren't part of NCD. 

Yes it will be. They won't discount Andre though.

5 hours ago, themadagascarmaster said:

They played a trailer to it at my screening of Despicable Me 4 last month, so I’d have thought it’d be a 12A.

Yeh us too, but see previous page - 3 of the trailers are a 15 and usually that would mean the film would be. 

Edited by Krissykins

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh us too, but see previous page - 3 of the trailers are a 15 and usually that would mean the film would be. 

There was an article on the BBFC a while back that went into how trailers are rated differently to features. Because trailer imagery can be quite sudden or missing context, if there's anything remotely scary they may end up rating the trailer higher than what the actual film ends up being.

So Beetlejuice could still be a 12A.

13 hours ago, Allanheimer said:

There was an article on the BBFC a while back that went into how trailers are rated differently to features. Because trailer imagery can be quite sudden or missing context, if there's anything remotely scary they may end up rating the trailer higher than what the actual film ends up being.

So Beetlejuice could still be a 12A.

Yes, see previous page. WB said to Cineworld it’s likely to be a 12A. 

13 minutes ago, UKBoxOffice said:

Friday

1. It Ends With Us £1.85m

2. D&W £1.26m

3. DM4 £532k

4. Trap £426k

5. IO2 £211k

6. Borderlands £202k

7. Twisters £180k

8. Harold £80k

9. Spider-Man 2 £78k

10. Longlegs £69k

Atrocious for Borderlands. Will it even make £1m for the 4-day? I don't know what it did on Thursday

42 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Looks like potentially £5m+ opening for It End With Us then, impressive. 

I think it'll fall slightly short of £5m because sales aren't as good tonight but still enough to get to number 1 or a strong number 2.

I wonder if the more upmarket cinemas like Everyman are benefitting from something like It Ends With Us since it's more adult oriented.