Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Looking at that list, I still wonder how much further Avatar could have gone. After 203 shows and the majority of the 33495 tickets available sold, the showing on its final night in 3D was sold out at the cinema I go to. How much further could it have gone? £100m was a given wasn't it?

Edited by Schumacher FTW

Well, Avatar did have help to reach even £93.4M with the summer Special Edition re-release so it had the opportunity to hit £100M but it did not.If it was going to hit £100M it would have done it over the summer with the re-release.And if it was still doing well nationwide they would have just kept in in cinemas surely not pull it out abruptly if it was still selling out nightly in cinemas. Titanic had a much longer run because it was still popular and sold more tickets (around 18.9M, not counting 2012 re-release).

Edited by JCS

I am surprised Gone with the Wind is not on the list.

It sold a whopping 35M+ tickets!

Which meant 75% of the population went to see the film roughly if one person = one ticket. I know prices were cheaper in the 1940s but you would think it would be on that list.

Brave might not be one of the biggest films ever, but it's heading for £20-25m, which is still a big success.

But WW is not a success really, whilst Monsters University should be a WW hit for Pixar!

TDKR can become WB's third highest grossing film, mighty impressive achievement in a Harry Potter country.

Indeed, WB must love the UK. Probably the 2nd biggest market for the studio.

Would be nice to see TDKR push TPM out of the top 10. Bit of a stretch, but it could happen.

Cannot see that happening unfortunately. TDKR will fizzle out at around £55M maximum I think.

Well, Avatar did have help to reach even £93.4M with the summer Special Edition re-release so it had the opportunity to hit £100M but it did not.If it was going to hit £100M it would have done it over the summer with the re-release.And if it was still doing well nationwide they would have just kept in in cinemas surely not pull it out abruptly if it was still selling out nightly in cinemas. Titanic had a much longer run because it was still popular and sold more tickets (around 18.9M, not counting 2012 re-release).

What you forget is that Avatar was earning 83% of it's gross in the combined 3D formats by its 10th week. In its 11th it lost what I'm going to guess is at least 80% of those were lost to Alice in Wonderland as most cinemas only had a single 3D screen at the time (my main cinema added two more in april). Seeing as Avatar was pushed in 3D more than any other film thus far it isn't inconcievable to think that Alice cost it at MINIMUM another £10m if not more.

And if it was still doing well nationwide they would have just kept in in cinemas surely not pull it out abruptly if it was still selling out nightly in cinemas. Titanic had a much longer run because it was still popular and sold more tickets (around 18.9M, not counting 2012 re-release).

The DVD and Blu-Ray came out in April and even though Avatar had a great cinema run, Fox probably felt that if it had been in cinemas any longer, it would hurt the DVD/Blu-Ray sales. Titanic came out in a time when the home video was often a long time after the cinema release which isn't the case anymore.

I am surprised Gone with the Wind is not on the list.

It sold a whopping 35M+ tickets!

Which meant 75% of the population went to see the film roughly if one person = one ticket. I know prices were cheaper in the 1940s but you would think it would be on that list.

Gone with the Wind and also films like Star Wars, The Sound of Music and ET wouldn't be on that list due to inflation.

What you forget is that Avatar was earning 83% of it's gross in the combined 3D formats by its 10th week. In its 11th it lost what I'm going to guess is at least 80% of those were lost to Alice in Wonderland as most cinemas only had a single 3D screen at the time (my main cinema added two more in april). Seeing as Avatar was pushed in 3D more than any other film thus far it isn't inconcievable to think that Alice cost it at MINIMUM another £10m if not more.

Yes, Alice helped push Avatar out but they could have kept it going for longer in less 3D screens and in 2D. It also ran in IMAX for ages and even that did not push it nearer to £100M at the end of its run really.It is pretty much guesswork how much Avatar COULD have made but £93M is a very healthy total to be fair. We will now need a bigger film to hit £100M.

The DVD and Blu-Ray came out in April and even though Avatar had a great cinema run, Fox probably felt that if it had been in cinemas any longer, it would hurt the DVD/Blu-Ray sales. Titanic came out in a time when the home video was often a long time after the cinema release which isn't the case anymore.

True, good point. They had to pull Avatar out to avoid a collision with the DVD/Blu-Ray release of course. But if still many people wanted to see Avatar on the big screen in 3D then the summer re-release would have been much more successful and helped push it to £100M or closer to that milestone.

Gone with the Wind and also films like Star Wars, The Sound of Music and ET wouldn't be on that list due to inflation.

Of course cinema tickets were much cheaper in the 1940s/50s/60s/70s/80s and the list does not take inflation into account.BUT you would think the newer films especially like ET and Star Wars would still make the list (Top 100 grossing UK films) as they were so successful even with the cheap ticket prices. Obviously not the £50M+ list but the Top 100 via wiki that Heretic just linked too.

With inflation though. Oh boy. Those films, especially GWTW, would obliterate everything.

Yes, yes they would. :oIs there a UK top-grossing list with inflation taken into account, would be fascinating to see?

Alright lads, time for a little Friday report. We have two new openers in the top 10. The Three Stooges bombs in a spectacular fashion at 8th place with £0.1m. It wouldn't be such a horrible number if it hadn't been playing in 349 cinemas and hadn't been doing less business than the fourth Friday of Wimpy Kid. The Expendables 2 can't recover, it's sitting at 6th with 0.28m, 43%,m down from last week. TDKR continues to impress at 5th with £0.36, only 18% down from last Friday. It's not looking so rosy for the other crappy opener, Keith Lemon disappoints with a bit above £0.42m that denies a top 3 entry. That's because Bourne is third with £0.45m, Ted is second with £0.48M.

That means that Merida triumphs once more, Brave regains the top spot with roughly £0.7m, 23% down from last week.

Edited by The Dark Alfred