Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Some months were weaker than others like March and April which were weak as was September and June suffered due to the football and January, May and August were down from last year too. The stand out month was definetly October with three strong performers in Taken 2, Madagascar 3 and Skyfall.I think 2013 will still be a solid year for films but I imagine there won't be a film that breaks £50m apart from The Hobbit pt 2.

Yeh cannot see a breakout hit in the UK next year Iron man 3,Hobbit 2,and the hangover 3 maybe the biggest films next year.

I think Monsters University will do very well but it scheduled on the same day as Pacific Rim. They should push it back a week to coincide with the last day of school for the summer.I think they'll be a lot of £20-30m films although if MU is great, it may do near £40m.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

Yeh cannot see a breakout hit in the UK next year Iron man 3,Hobbit 2,and the hangover 3 maybe the biggest films next year.

UK Breakout film for 2013 - 50 Shades of ...'25 - 50 yr old women'http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/booknews/9459779/50-Shades-of-Grey-is-best-selling-book-of-all-time.htmlhttp://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/50-shades-of-grey-boost-for-ann-summers-hailed-by-lingerie-tycoon-8398605.htmlThis could make £50m
  • Like 1

$18.3m. Solid opening, and it'll have a strong performance over the holidays.It got claps at my performance today, which hardly ever happens.

Solid weekend! £11.3M!Yes, WOM and legs will be great!Everyone loved the Gollum scene too in the audience.

Some months were weaker than others like March and April which were weak as was September and June suffered due to the football and January, May and August were down from last year too. The stand out month was definetly October with three strong performers in Taken 2, Madagascar 3 and Skyfall.I think 2013 will still be a solid year for films but I imagine there won't be a film that breaks £50m apart from The Hobbit pt 2.

April was definitely not weak, unless you think 15m tickets is weak.

Actuals for The Hobbit went up £0.3m. So £11.6m opening. Not bad.Good for Skyfall too. I imagine it'll be close to £99m by the end of next weekend, and over the holidays it'll probably play very well, so it could see a total around £102-103m in the end.Twilight will probably end around £36m which is excellent for it, and both ROTG and Nativity will both probably do £8-10m.1 The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Warner Bros) £11,601,538 £11,601,5382 Rise Of The Guardians (Paramount) £1,250,469 £5,713,6623 Nativity 2: Danger In The Manger! (eOne) £938,309 £5,582,2244 Skyfall (Sony) £809,406 £97,897,4045 Tinker Bell And The Secret Of The Wings 3D (Walt Disney) £528,820 £528,8206 The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 (eOne) £509,872 £34,420,0727 Seven Psychopaths (Momentum) £452,293 £2,133,9488 Silver Linings Playbook (Entertainment) £231,714 £4,104,6329 Argo (Warner Bros) £108,384 £5,153,26210 Great Expectations (Lionsgate) £100,137 £1,730,925

Life of Pi opens Thursday. It's a bit of a wildcard really. I can definitely sense an interest, and advertisement has been good. It could be quite a big hit if it catches on, or, it could be a bit of a flop. I'll say £2-3m for its first 4 days, but over the holidays it could potentially get £15m+ if it has strong WOM.The Hobbit will definitely keep the number 1 spot I think until Les Mis. I can see it dropping maybe 35% to £7.5m ($12.2m), which may put it close to $40m by Sunday; the first weekend of a 2 week holiday.

To me, it's not a question at all. What run could possibly be more impressive?And Avatar? No way. It's legs were INSANE just like everywhere else which was amazing to see, but had it not been for 3D, it probably would have done £80m max. Skyfall is heading for somewhere between £102-105m and it's a 2D film which opened in October, so it didn't get the holiday boost movies have over Christmas and New Year. I've said it so many times before, but is absolutely unprecedented.

Edited by Heretic

To me, it's not a question at all. What run could possibly be more impressive?And Avatar? No way. It's legs were INSANE just like everywhere else which was amazing to see, but had it not been for 3D, it probably would have done £80m max. Skyfall is heading for somewhere between £102-105m and it's a 2D film which opened in October, so it didn't get the holiday boost movies have over Christmas and New Year. I've said it so many times before, but is absolutely unprecedented.

I'm remember distinctly people were saying Avatar flopped in UK after it's OW and then the following weekend it jumped 51%. Legs were absolutely insane on it. Like I said to me, Avatar's run was greater in UK but you're entitled to your opinion. Edited by druv10