Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

4 minutes ago, Ash Skywalker said:

Tell me more about IMAX Laser.

Laser gives a much brighter, cleaner projection with better contrast and dynamic range than traditional lamps. IMAX is slowly converting all their theaters to it, but there's only a handful that currently use it so far. Generally speaking and all other things being equal, laser projection is probably the second-best way to see a movie (15/70mm with properly-powered lamps would be tops).

From io9's recent article about the best theaters to see SW in:

Only 7 theaters in North America and 7 theaters internationally will be showing Star Wars with 3D IMAX Laser projection. In North America there’s TCL Chinese Theatres IMAX – Hollywood, AMC Metreon 16 & IMAX – San Francisco, AMC Universal CityWalk Stadium 19 & IMAX – Universal City, Sunbrella IMAX 3D Theatre, Jordan’s Furniture Reading – Reading, Scotiabank Toronto & IMAX – Toronto, Airbus IMAX, Stephen F. Udvar-Hazy Center – Chantilly, Boeing IMAX and the Pacific Science Center – Seattle

Internationally there’s the IMAX, Melbourne Museum – Australia, Event Cinemas Queen Street IMAX – New Zealand, VOX Cinemas & IMAX - UAE, Cinestar Berlin & IMAX - Germany,Filmpalast AM ZKM IMAX - Germany, Empire Leicester Square IMAX – United Kingdom and Cineworld Sheffield & IMAX – United Kingdom.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Laser gives a much brighter, cleaner projection with better contrast and dynamic range than traditional lamps. IMAX is slowly converting all their theaters to it, but there's only a handful that currently use it so far.

From io9's recent article about the best theaters to see SW in:

Thank you Tele, but i have seen most of this info. What i need and prefer is personal opinion about it. How does it fare compared to 15/70? Does it match the dynamic range the real imax has? I heard the ratio is similar to that of 15/70 what of it?

5 minutes ago, Ash Skywalker said:

Thank you Tele, but i have seen most of this info. What i need and prefer is personal opinion about it. How does it fare compared to 15/70? Does it match the dynamic range the real imax has? I heard the ratio is similar to that of 15/70 what of it?

You're talking about factors that also involve the source material being projected. It's simply a projection system, it can display any aspect ratio (although presumably if you were projecting some sort of specialized anamorphic image you'd need the appropriate lens installed).

I don't think it matches the dynamic range of IMAX film projected through properly-powered lamps, but I haven't seen a side-by-side comparison. From a consumer perspective, it's basically about as good as you'll get unless you definitively know you're seeing IMAX film projected traditionally.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

You're talking about factors that also involve the source material being projected. It's simply a projection system, it can display any aspect ratio (although presumably if you were projecting some sort of specialized anamorphic image you'd need the appropriate lens installed).

I don't think it matches the dynamic range of IMAX film projected through properly-powered lamps, but I haven't seen a side-by-side comparison. From a consumer perspective, it's basically about as good as you'll get unless you definitively know you're seeing IMAX film projected traditionally.

Exactly. 
Only better thing is Aspect ratio then,matching the screen with some brighter blacks,whites, clean and crisp. 

10 minutes ago, Ash Skywalker said:

Exactly. 
Only better thing is Aspect ratio then,matching the screen with some brighter blacks,whites, clean and crisp. 

:wacko: I'm lost, I'm not quite sure what you're saying here. :lol: My point is just that laser projection is better than conventional digital projection (even the best conventional digital projection). It's also better than traditional projection except in the best-possible scenario: with carefully calibrated and maintained equipment projecting a pristine 15/70mm print.

• Like 1