Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Well, Ice Age 3 opened to £7.6m (including 2 days of previews which made £1.8m) and went on to gross £35m. IA4 looks to be on track for at least £10m with the 4 days of previews added on, so I'd put it at around £35m too, if legs can be sustained. Though it may be more difficult this time with another family film this weekend and the Olympics in a few weeks.Spider-man has always been VERY popular here. Spiderman 3 opened to almost £12m. Technically, this should open to over £14m with 3d, inflation and an extra 3 days, but that's not going to happen due to significantly less hype this time round, it seems. Still, i'd expect it to clear £10m for sure within 6 days (if not, that'd be VERY worrying) leading to a total near £30m like the previous movies.TDKR is a whole other story. It's going to challenge opening records for sure. I could definitely see it topping The Avenger's 4 day £15.7m opening, and even challenge DH1's £18.3m debut to claim the 2nd biggest opening of all time. DH2 is safe. Nothing's touching £23.8m. Minimum I see is a £16m opening, and it should top £50m. £55m+, depending on how big the opening is.

• Like 1

With just £853,000 from 134 sites at the UK and Ireland box-office, Ice Age 4: Continental Drift is the first film to top the chart with a sum below £1m since The Other Guys did so on its third weekend of release in October 2010, and the lowest-grossing number-one film since Nicolas Cage actioner Next landed at the summit with £795,000 back in April 2007.

Shows how badly the UK needs a blockbuster, Spiderman today!

Spider-man is about 75% full for IMAX at 6pm and around 50% for 9:15pm. That's good and walk-ups should be decent, but The Avengers and Prometheus were sold out virtually all weekend by the time they opened.The 2D option has 3 shows tonight, all of which are only about 25% full at the moment, and 3D is about the same. Of-course, more people are likely to walk up as there was no need to pre-book tickets anyway.Tomorrow will be MUCH busier as it's Orange Wednesday.

My local cinema sold out of both showings tonight for Amazing Spiderman, so it looks to be popular still!Going to see it tomorrow probably and should be very busy again with Orange Wednesday.

The 9:15 IMAX showing is close to being sold out. 2D showing that just started was like 75% full at least, in the biggest screen. It seems it's actually doing really well! And schools are still in.Tomorrow will be absolutely jammed...How high can it go? I think £10m should definitely happen...perhaps over £11m?

The 9:15 IMAX showing is close to being sold out. 2D showing that just started was like 75% full at least, in the biggest screen. It seems it's actually doing really well! And schools are still in.Tomorrow will be absolutely jammed...How high can it go? I think £10m should definitely happen...perhaps over £11m?

Over 6 day opening? £10m for sure! Maybe even £12m (risky call)...

Cineworld's announced Batman Begins/The Dark Knight double headers on July 19th at 6pm at all barring two west end sites. Anyone think Vue and Odeon are likely to follow suit?

I think it was paired with TDKR at midnight, it would be good but IIRC WB isn't allowing any UK midnight showings for some reason unless it's now changed.

I think it was paired with TDKR at midnight, it would be good but IIRC WB isn't allowing any UK midnight showings for some reason unless it's now changed.

That's right first public TDKR shows are at 5am. But I actually like this system, means I can get some sleep before I go and see the finale.

Very strange there are no midnight Dark Knight Rises screenings in the UK, they would sell very well!Should be seeing TASM tonight as well, will be packed with Orange Wednesday hopefully.

Edited by JCS