RealLyre

Madame Web | February 14, 2024 | Sony Spider-Man Movie I SJ Clarkson to direct

I think sub-20 over the three day weekend is guaranteed at this point. Sub-20 over six days would be embarrassing. I mean I know people are reporting ticket sales right now that suggest that won't happen, but let's see if refunds get requested the day before when reviews drop. 😜

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mad Max007 said:

Wonder if she thought it was the same franchise lol.

Someone pointed out that when they were cast in this, both Sydney Sweeney and Dakota Johnson tagged Marvel Studios in their Insta posts confirming the casting instead of Sony. They genuinely thought they were in a MCU movie.

It reminds me of Matt Smith agreeing to star in Morbius after asking Karen Gillan whether she liked being a Marvel movie.

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Someone pointed out that when they were cast in this, both Sydney Sweeney and Dakota Johnson tagged Marvel Studios in their Insta posts confirming the casting instead of Sony. They genuinely thought they were in a MCU movie.

It reminds me of Matt Smith agreeing to star in Morbius after asking Karen Gillan whether she liked being a Marvel movie.

the problem with that theory is that sydney and her parents were very fans of the mcu movies before she being casted. Difficult she can't know that. Dakota case is different because she wasn't a mcu fan, just take it as another job

Edited by fede75

also julia carpenter was a very popular avenger in the 90's. With mount returning as black bolt for a cameo in a mcu movie after the inhumans series ( with feige not involved) collapsed and kamala still being very key in differents mcu proyects after her series as a failure in rating and the marvels collapsed in box office, why feige wouldn't want an actress like sydney to play that classic 90 avenger also in some mcu movies? Like just seeing feige recents actions seems like very possible he would like to use the character.  Dakota case is very different since she is a random d-list spiderman related character, not an avenger 

8 hours ago, Jay Beezy said:

We’ve seen the cast do promos for the movie and I’m sure we’ll see more people at the red carpet premiere on Monday, but Dakota seems to be the only one doing press and interviews. Unless I missed something.

The only other cast member to do anything was Sydney Sweeney on Hot Ones last week.  

ah another thing is that feige has a big tendecy of introducing almost all the pre 1998 avengers full members in the 616-mcu. There are very few members missing, incluiding in those julia who is in one of the sony's universes . So yeah would be strange for him to not want to introduce julia in his 616. Secret wars is perfect because julia has a role in the original secret wars and was his first appearence 

• Knock It Off 1

8 hours ago, fede75 said:

also julia carpenter was a very popular avenger in the 90's. With mount returning as black bolt for a cameo in a mcu movie after the inhumans series ( with feige not involved) collapsed and kamala still being very key in differents mcu proyects after her series as a failure in rating and the marvels collapsed in box office, why feige wouldn't want an actress like sydney to play that classic 90 avenger also in some mcu movies? Like just seeing feige recents actions seems like very possible he would like to use the character.  Dakota case is very different since she is a random d-list spiderman related character, not an avenger 

why feige wouldn't want an actress like sydney to play that classic 90 avenger also in some mcu movies

Yeah, that makes sense if they went that route but there are real roadblocks. As the 2014 Sony Hack detailed, 

"Spider-Woman" is in a messy rights situation for Marvel (while basically being free for Sony to fully use as a Spider Man adjacent character)

Without a revision to the Sony-Marvel contract (which could have occured), the MCU can't use basically "stuff that reminds people of Spider-Man" in their uses of Spider-Woman (including the character's name and costume) but they can use the [Spider-Woman character name] with [powers list]. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, fede75 said:

ah another thing is that feige has a big tendecy of introducing almost all the pre 1998 avengers full members in the 616-mcu. There are very few members missing, incluiding in those julia who is in one of the sony's universes . So yeah would be strange for him to not want to introduce julia in his 616. Secret wars is perfect because julia has a role in the original secret wars and was his first appearence 

You have a right to like what you like but acting like Julia Carpenter has a big following is silly. She had a certain level of popularity back in the 90's maybe, but that is long  gone.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

You have a right to like what you like but acting like Julia Carpenter has a big following is silly. She had a certain level of popularity back in the 90's maybe, but that is long  gone.

but i never said is popular now, was popular then. When i was reading the west coast avengers comics i saw there were  popularity contests of the characters at the time and julia has the most votes there. It was more popular in the surveys than characters like wanda, vision,  ant man, wonder man, hawkeye. And the important thing is that feige really likes that period, remember for example that he gives sersi ( relevant in the avengers only a few years in the 90's) basically a movie. To appear in more movies is not necesarilly that the character becomes very popular, just to be liked by feige. Basically like blue beetle in the gunn's DCU, the movie from the prior universe flopped but gunn like the character and the casting so will still appearing in the DCU ( probably in a suporting role)

• Like 1

I doubt Feige would want to deal with any of the corporate headaches of trying to use Spider-Woman, but if he did he'd go for Jessica Drew or Gwen Stacy, one of the actually popular versions of the character. It's not a coincidence that Sony decided this movie could only have the cast off spider women and not waste any of the ones people like.

3 hours ago, ZeroHour said:

I doubt Feige would want to deal with any of the corporate headaches of trying to use Spider-Woman, but if he did he'd go for Jessica Drew or Gwen Stacy, one of the actually popular versions of the character. It's not a coincidence that Sony decided this movie could only have the cast off spider women and not waste any of the ones people like.

that's the case of an hypotetical spiderwoman mcu movie. For appareances feige just use the characters he likes. Is not going to be a "corporate headaches" to use her in secret wars since there's other sony own characters planned for that movie 

9 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Poor Dakota. You can tell she is not happy to be the face of this likely critical and commercial failure 

There is a reason Sweeney is trying to keep her marketing to a minimum. I think she  is not happy with the film, and hopes it will vanish quickly before it can dispurt her career which is on fast forward.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

Well, it looks like they finally got Sydney Sweeney to do press for the movie just under the wire.

Yeh seems very late to be doing the junkets, 5 days before release. Good idea getting Sydney involved again though, her having 18m instagram followers can’t hurt.  

• Like 1