TMP

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania | February 17, 2023 | Competing with Eternals on RT, Competing with BvS on box office legs

I'm amazed at how many people cling to these reactions. For Oscar bait/prestige movies, okay. But superhero movies? I mean, they're superhero movies. It's like relying on the New York Times book review for a comic book.

Edited by Verrows
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Verrows said:

I'm amazed at how many people cling to these reactions. For Oscar bait/prestige movies, okay. But superhero movies? I mean, they're superhero movies. It's like hanging on what the New York Times review on a comic book.

It's a box office forum, and by an large, mcu movies with okish reviews tend to have average legs, nobody here is judging the movie yet just thinking of how it will play out box office wise

• Like 6

1 minute ago, GOGODanca said:

It's a box office forum, and by an large, mcu movies with okish reviews tend to have average legs, nobody here is judging the movie yet just thinking of how it will play out box office wise

That's fair I guess.

I think reactions are ok. At this point after gazillion movies/tv shows there is only so much novelty they can aspire for. MCU still has a large fan base who are excited by these movies looking at huge presales start. Let us see how the post reactions sales goes. Already today sales are looking higher than yesterday(Duh!!). But it needs to amp up the pace for sure. Plus SB trailer this weekend and RT watch next week are next catalysts. 

• Like 4

I guess you can call it a hunch on my part then. This seems like the flavour of MCU entry that fans have been clamouring for and I think it'll hit right with them compared to critics. As @keysersoze123 mentioned the presales sort of point to the idea that this is a movie the fans want moreso than a critics pleaser.

If it's an outright stinker then that's a different story. We'll see.

Edited by Verrows
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

I will say the Star Wars comparisons are intriguing to me. But other than that there are too many negatives, so seems like probably a 70s at best. 

6 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Some of the reactions are giving MoM vibes like: Movie is meh but Elizabeth Olsen is great! So maybe 68-71 ish. 

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I think reactions are ok. At this point after gazillion movies/tv shows there is only so much novelty they can aspire for. MCU still has a large fan base who are excited by these movies looking at huge presales start. Let us see how the post reactions sales goes. Already today sales are looking higher than yesterday(Duh!!). But it needs to amp up the pace for sure. Plus SB trailer this weekend and RT watch next week are next catalysts. 

Do wonder if we're getting a bit overly influenced by those very initial early non-premiere reactions as we really aren't used to them right out of the gate (usually we see those type of reactions the next day).  Mind even the premiere ones are a bit soft in places, though there def are raves.

Thinking low 70s right now, but could see anywhere from low 60s to mid 70s.  Be very surprised at anything higher than high 70s though.

Still, really does depend on how GA friendly it is and how much people connect with Kang.  Def not gonna be an upper tier Marvel film though, that's for sure.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Do wonder if we're getting a bit overly influenced by those very initial early non-premiere reactions as we really aren't used to them right out of the gate (usually we see those type of reactions the next day).  Mind even the premiere ones are a bit soft in places, though there def are raves.

Thinking low 70s right now, but could see anywhere from low 60s to mid 70s.  Be very surprised at anything higher than high 70s though.

Still, really does depend on how GA friendly it is and how much people connect with Kang.  Def not gonna be an upper tier Marvel film though, that's for sure.

That should have little impact on BO. You dont need 99% approval for a movie to explode. If reactions were saying it was a bore fest then its a different ball game. 

I have said before as well, I so over this franchise. I am struggling to see Wakanda even on my computer. So far I have seen 30 minutes over the weekend. Letitia is a charisma vacuum. Without Chadwick there is no BP. But its just my opinion. And I am in a minority. Looking at my social feed, MCU fanbase seem to be excited and its possible that some of the Wakanda audience who otherwise are ambivalent about these movies could check it out due to Majors. Let us see how things go. 

• Like 3