TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

13 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Besides this being a musical, are there really big surprises that could enrage audience?

I mean if they just slap any more comic characters names onto random dudes that's certainly gonna piss off comic fans. One of the trailers already showed Harvey Dent and no one likes the look of him so I can only imagine who else they chose to adapt. 

Edited by CheeseWizard

Based on initial presales, (I know it's not even 2pm on the west coast, but I'm just saying this for shits and giggles) someone should should start a Wild Robot > Joker 2 DOM club.

Edited by Skim Beeble

2 hours ago, Maggie said:

That's what people are doing in the tracking thread. I can't believe it either. If it happens to do under Joker 1, that'd be a very nasty surprise

Honestly it wouldn’t be a surprise for several reasons already explored earlier in this thread 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

It's been just 8 hours and the movie already flopped. What a day.

The first couple hours is enough. With the first couple of hours of data we knew Shazam 2/Blue Beetle/Flash/Aquaman 2/Marvels were flopping. It was enough to know that GOTG 3 would open poorly, enough to know that Deadpool 3 was opening huge, enough to know that Ant-Man 3 was clearing $100M, etc. You get the point. CBMs are fan driven and the first couple of hours is sufficient. 

Edited by HummingLemon496

Yep, I guess I'm doing what I did with The Flash and The Marvels. 

Wait until the end of the weekend or even Monday to see the box office numbers and not participate in any forum that could be filled with so many "doom and gloom" posts. 

8 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

The first couple hours is enough. With the first couple of hours of data we knew Shazam 2/Blue Beetle/Flash/Aquaman 2/Marvels were flopping.

I knew most of those would flop hard even without any data, only The Flash was a black sheep.

9 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

It was enough to know that GOTG 3 would open poorly

I remember there was similar panic that GOTG3 will flop and tracking thread implied 70 mln OW. It didn't happen to say the least.

I know it is par for the course to doom and gloom, but we still only have a few hours of presales and very limited data points till now. Another factor could be that this one has fewer shows listed as of now which could be one reason for the slow sales out of the gate, as Keyser pointed out. And this one also is starting its presales run much earlier than the first one. That could be another factor which could explain the slow sales. So I would wait for a couple of days before writing this one off. 

That being said, this was always going to perform worse than the first one imo. The first captured a zeitgeist that seldom happens with Box office, something that a sequel would in no way capture, akin to Black Panther. The near rotten RT score and the rumours flying regarding its plot, and it being a musical, does not help.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If this really does end up opening poorly, you can probably add WB to the list of big studios who are done taking their big blockbusters to the film festival circuit. Venice for this was a mistake and Furiosa got nothing out of it's Cannes debut even with good reviews. WB's learning the tough lesson that Disney learned last year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ZeroHour said:

If this really does end up opening poorly, you can probably add WB to the list of big studios who are done taking their big blockbusters to the film festival circuit. Venice for this was a mistake and Furiosa got nothing out of it's Cannes debut even with good reviews. WB's learning the tough lesson that Disney learned last year.

TGM did well at Cannes. That said Hollywood doesn't make blockbuster films that good very frequently.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Flopped said:

This is pretty clearly going to flop. 

I'm not a fan of Part 1 but to say this is going to flop is silly. Even with not the best first day sales, the GP will see this in droves OW...Again staying power/legs will be based on word of mouth from the GP

Edited by joselowe
  • Like 1

Will def be shocking if this opens under $100M. Tells me Joker was a cultural zeitgeist moment that has come and passed. I'm curious to see what sales are like in a week from now. It's only been 10 hours. Thursday showtimes at the Cinemark near me seem to be filling up fast. 

I'm curious if this has more walkup biz opening weekend since the film is targeting a different demographic than the first film. With it being a musical, we may not get the same data that the first Joker had in its pre-sale tickets.