spizzer

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Tuesday’s announcement that Wizarding World of Harry Potter would expand somehow at Universal Orlando and that a West Coast version would open in Universal Studios Hollywood made business and entertainment headlines.

The shortage of details — that whole who-what-when-where-how that journalists crave — left us with similar reports and some different spins. And more than one outlet wrongly refer to the California project as a “Harry Potter theme park,” just as they did when our WizWoHaPo opened within Islands of Adventure in 2010.

Of course, we can’t all live in the shadow of Hogwarts, so let’s be forgiving. Here are some of the good points and observations:

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201112/2824/

The plans occupy the space between the Fear Factor Live theater and the Disaster! show building on the northwest corner of the Universal Studios Florida property - basically all the land now occupied by the Jaws attraction and surrounding Amity carnival games and shops. The northernmost section of the plot - almost half the land within it - is planned for a massive show building, which will house the Gringotts ride.

On the southeastern portion of the plot, a second attraction is designated. I can't tell from the plans what this attraction will be, but its position is consistent with the rumor of a Hogwarts Express ride connecting the two Harry Potter land, as this attraction points into the back-of-house access road that runs straight into the rear of Sindbad theater where the Wizarding World of Harry Potter is expanding into in Islands of Adventure.

For pedestrians in Universal Studios Florida, there appears to be a single point of entry into the new Harry Potter land, one that requires walking around a center obstacle inside what appears to be an enclosed space. This would fit with being a "secret entrance" to Diagon Alley, from the Harry Potter books and films. There also is what appears to be labeled an 8,900-square-foot restaurant building located immediately to the left of the entrance to the land. Could this be the Leaky Cauldron?

Besides the restaurant to the left, I can't tell from the plans I saw what will occupy the other spaces in the buildings along the sides of this main street, which I presume to be Diagon Alley. There is a small, 500-square-foot "walk-through attraction" listed on a spur street to the left of the Gringotts entry, a spur that leads to the entrance to the second attraction. (Another Ollivander's? Your guess is as good as mine.)

I went in early Sept 2010. Will be cool to go back in a few years when all of it is finished. I love what they have now.FYI... the frozen butterbeer is better than the regular.

Isn't there a warm one now as well?

Isn't there a warm one now as well?

Not sure. There might be a warm option available during the Winter months. There wasn't in late Summer a year and a half ago.Butterbeer tastes like extremely sweet, butterscotch-like Cream Soda, fizziness included. The foam is like extra sweet whipped cream.This recipe tastes exactly like it, but I can't find anything good that replicates the foam: http://www.mugglenet.com/misc/rosmertas/butterbeer.shtml Edited by Cozmees Everdeen