Eric Deetz

A Complete Unknown | Christmas Day 2024 | James Mangold directs | TIMOTHEE CHALAMET IS BOB DYLAN | Cinema has been saved!!!!

https://deadline.com/2020/01/bob-dylan-timothee-chalamet-james-mangold-going-electric-movie-newport-folk-festival-1202822609/

EXCLUSIVE: Searchlight Pictures has closed a deal with Ford V Ferrari helmer James Mangold to direct Going Electric. Timothee Chalamet is attached to play Bob Dylan during the period when he was poised to become folk music’s most seminal figure. When Dylan instead embraced rock n roll and traded his acoustic guitar for an amp and an electric guitar, it created a huge outcry. And it cemented the status of rock music. Dylan is working actively with Searchlight and Mangold on the film.

Negotiations are underway with Chalamet, who has gotten strong reviews for Little Women, and who next will make his London stage debut opposite Eileen Atkins in 4,000 Miles, the Old Vic production of Amy Herzog’s Pulitzer-nominated drama. The play bows April 16 and closes May 23rd. It is expected he will do Going Electric after that.

I am not sure if he will sing Dylan’s great songs like Taron Egerton did in Rocketman, or lip synch the way that Rami Malek did for Bohemian Rhapsody. But I’ve heard that Chalamet is already taking guitar lessons so he can familiarize himself with the acoustic and electric guitar.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Chalamet's post-Call Me by Your Name career has been on FIRE! :D Assuming this lands in the fall/holiday corridor of 2021, it's gonna be a box office showdown between this and Baz Luhrmann's Elvis for those musician biopic dollars.

Minor gripe but I don't think the Elvis film is a "musician biopic" as it's not about Elvis.

14 hours ago, Avatree said:

Minor gripe but I don't think the Elvis film is a "musician biopic" as it's not about Elvis.

Yeah, everything I have read indicates that Colonel Parker might be the real central character in the film.