Eric is Quiet

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

18 hours ago, Orestes said:

An actual public test screening, and not just family/employees?

After hearing over and over that The Flash had great public screenngs, I am going to take reprots of great screenings with a ton of salt.

On 6/6/2023 at 11:08 AM, JustLurking said:

I fully expect all the sony sinister six films to suck, especially considering they seem pretty hell-bent on giving all those villains a "ackshually hes a good guy" story

Well, it can't be any worse then Spidey and the Sandman getting emo together in Spiderman 3. 

I love this. Amazon fucking it up my digital comics collection was kinda of a blessing in disguise. Now I don’t buy any books since the quality to read them on comiXology is god awful, but I’m reading a lot of good stuff on Marvel Unlimited. I love how costume design in comic books became so amazing that I could easily see it this one being translated to the big screen. Bartel is a fucking genius, it’s a shame she doesn’t do a lot of interior work, but I’m actually excited for this new creative team on Captain Marvel.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

I love this. Amazon fucking it up my digital comics collection was kinda of a blessing in disguise. Now I don’t buy any books since the quality to read them on comiXology is god awful, but I’m reading a lot of good stuff on Marvel Unlimited. I love how costume design in comic books became so amazing that I could easily see it this one being translated to the big screen. Bartel is a fucking genius, it’s a shame she doesn’t do a lot of interior work, but I’m actually excited for this new creative team on Captain Marvel.

I loved Kelly Thompson's run on the character a LOT so this is going to have to live up to that but this is off to a great start. What a design! And I'm a big fan of Alyssa Wong thanks to her work on Doctor Aphra for Star Wars so I'm really excited for this. Carol Danvers is definitely one of the more consistently good characters in Marvel's catalogue rn.

• Like 1

Whole movie sounds cool, it seems like it has a clear identity, dramatic heft, a compelling dyamnic between the three leads (Monica being upset that her hero was missing for so long/Kamala being excited to meet and team up with her hero) and it sounds like it has a bit of that good old fashioned Marvel quality.* The only thing that concerns me is that it seems like they decided to lean into a more comedic/sillier tone for CM right at the time when Marvel is getting backlash for being too unserious. But we'll see. That didn't get in the way of GotG getting love from fans. Maybe a strong story and connection to characters is enough to get past that.

Spoiler

* Kamala recruiting Kate Bishop and imitating Fury, as if she has the same role for the Young Avengers or whatever is called makes so much sense for her character, I think she is about to blow up with the more general fans after this film.

• Like 1

Not watching MCU movies in cinemas anymore (GOTG3 was the final one), but will still be very interesting to see how this does box office-wise.

The first movie did very well, but it was heavily pushed by Infinity War and Carol seems to be a somewhat controversial character.

So, feels that anything can happen.

On 6/16/2023 at 11:15 AM, toutvabien said:

These are top ten opening weekends in November. Where do you all think The Marvels will land?

1. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - $181,339,761

2. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - $158,074,286

3. The Twilight Saga: New Moon - $142,839,137

4. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Part 2 - $141,067,634

5. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Part 1 - $138,122,261

6. Frozen II - $130,263,358

7. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 - $125,017,372

8. Thor: Ragnarok - $122,744,989

9. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 - $121,897,634

10. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - $102,685,961

Tenth

You’re going to be in The Marvels with Brie Larson, and you two are good pals. She got so much hate for playing Captain Marvel from the more sexist side of Marvel’s fanbase. What was it like to see her go through that?
Brie’s a stronger person than people give her credit for. We had done Kong together, which was not the most wonderful experience for either of us. We became great friends during that particular experience because we were having such a hard time. Then, when she was doing her movie [Unicorn Store] and trying to get a particular actor, I was in the makeup trailer with her and was like, “Why are you trying to hire this other actor and not trying to get me to do your movie?” She said, “I didn’t think you’d ever do it… so, will you?” And I was like, “Let’s do it.” Then, we bonded through the election while we were doing her movie when Donald Trump won. She was broken and I was like, “Don’t let ‘em break you. You have to be strong now.” Then, when she got Captain Marvel, she called me and was like, “They want me in the Marvel Universe. Should I do it?” And I was like, “Hell yeah! Let’s do it!” But she’s not going to let any of that stuff destroy her. These incel dudes who hate strong women, or the fact that she’s a feminist who has an opinion and expressed it? Everybody wants people to be who they want them to be. She is who she is, and she’s genuinely that.

Nick MOTHERFUCKIN’ Fury, ladies and gentlemen. 

• Like 4
  • Heart 2

3 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

My most anticipated cbm the rest of the year. Can't wait.

I’m hyped as fuck. Kamala is my daughter and I will protect her with my life. That’s only half of an exaggeration because my cat is named after her and she is the best. 

PSA: Don’t forget that Secret Invasion premieres tonight, 12pm PST, @ChipDerby

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

My most anticipated cbm the rest of the year. Can't wait.

I've been hyped for it for a very long time. Carol is one of my favourites in the comics and Brie Larson kills it as the character, Kamala is everything, and Monica was arguably the standout from WandaVision (in a series of standouts tbf). Helps that Nia DaCosta is a really talented director, she was a genuinely inspired get for this.

• Like 2

Just rewatched Captain Marvel in preparation for Secret Invasion. I forgot how much this film rocks. It has aged incredibly well, knowing a lot of the emotional beats knowing what comes afterwards it’s ugh, so good. Mulling over prepping some popcorn and rewatching Spider-Man: Far From Home too, just for fun. That’s when Talos covers for Fury, maybe it’s worth the rewatch, still two hours to go.

Edit: 

Also, FUCK YES:

Edited by ZattMurdock