filmlover

Mean Girls | 1/12/24 | Paramount | based on the Broadway musical based on the movie | Tina Fey to write/produce | moving from streaming to theatrical

On 1/13/2024 at 12:35 PM, AJG said:

Ok so I 1000% knew there was gonna be blowback to this. There were so few markets that would have seen promotion for the stage musical and only one that would've seen sustained advertising for it. Paramount made the strategic choice to hide the musical aspect of the film and now we are here.

I only knew this would happen because it has happened before: BEHOLD the trailer for Sweeney Todd. The only film I've ever been to where half the audience left before it was over.

At least we will always have this video though:

https://x.com/ErickLorinc/status/1745518571692941597?s=20

https://x.com/ErickLorinc/status/1745518571692941597?s=20

Bait and Switch seldom works.

Of course as a huge fan of the Sondheim musical, i had MAJOR problems with how Burton handled it. Such bizarre things like using hte music from "The Ballas Of Sweeny Todd" and dropping "Kiss Me" one of the best songs frm the show and that is just hte start.

And though he tried hard, Depp  was simply not up to the vocals. The songs in Sweeney Todd are closer to Opera  then standard Musical Music and make greater demands on the singer then a standard Musical. In fact it, has been staged as a Opera  with a nSondheim approved adaptation .

Just got back from this. The original film is a 5 star classic. The best teen film of all time in my eyes. 

I had low expectations for this. Some of the changes to water things down annoyed me of course. But it has some big laughs. Thank you Tina Fey. The songs though, only two stand out and the rest made me cringe a little. They’re not bangers, they’re more spoken word. 

3/5.

In response to the above: that Sweeney Todd film is abysmal. Probably the worst musical I’ve ever seen. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Just got back from this. The original film is a 5 star classic. The best teen film of all time in my eyes. 

I had low expectations for this. Some of the changes to water things down annoyed me of course. But it has some big laughs. Thank you Tina Fey. The songs though, only two stand out and the rest made me cringe a little. They’re not bangers, they’re more spoken word. 

3/5.

In response to the above: that Sweeney Todd film is abysmal. Probably the worst musical I’ve ever seen. 

I would not go that far, but it was a long,long, way from doing justice to the stage show. 

41 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

The songs though, only two stand out and the rest made me cringe a little.

They’re not bangers, they’re more spoken word.  

I will never forgive Lin Manuel 

I really don’t understand the bait and switch marketing. It just leaves the audience disappointed. 

That aside, I enjoyed this. A couple of the songs are pretty fetch, the rest are merely serviceable. Aulii Cravaho and Renee Rapp are really good. Didn’t even know Renee was an actor, I only know her from her music, so she was a pleasant surprise. 

Music aside, I didn’t really see the point of the film as it’s a near word for word copy of the original. I don’t know if the stage musical is the same but normally for a film-to-stage musical, the musical adds new stuff and puts a few twists on the original, maybe exploring more characters. So this feels a bit redundant when the original is such a classic.

It’s enjoyable, but it’s no Mean Girls.

They should feel lucky anyway. Not only it will make some decent money but it also turned out to be at least ok quality-wise which ain't easy feat in itself, considering the fact that apart from the musical sections its pretty much a remake of an already near-perfect film & performances

On 1/19/2024 at 3:25 PM, Becker said:

I will never forgive Lin Manuel 

The "SPoklen Song" is nothing new. All of Henry Higgins songs in "My Fair Lady" are pretty much spoken, not sung.