filmlover

Mean Girls | 1/12/24 | Paramount | based on the Broadway musical based on the movie | Tina Fey to write/produce | moving from streaming to theatrical

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Received a “what’s coming soon” email from a UK cinema chain that actually says:

“Despite what the trailer suggests, this is not a Mean Girls remake, it’s a musical” 😂

The stage show was supposed to have it;s London West end opening in 2021, but that got delayed . It is scheduled to open in late spring. Don't ask m e why the delay.

45 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Given that Paramount is not hiding this is a film of the stage show, I don't have muchb sympathy for people who don't know that.

Um have a look on the previous pages, Paramount have been playing down the musical element. 

The poster literally only has a music note. And we didn’t hear any of the songs in the trailers. 

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

Given that Paramount is not hiding this is a film of the stage show, I don't have muchb sympathy for people who don't know that.

They absolutely and specifically did not advertise it was a musical for quite a while. Wonka too. There was even an article about how marketing people thought people didn't want to see musicals and had to be tricked into seeing them.

• Like 2

Ok so I 1000% knew there was gonna be blowback to this. There were so few markets that would have seen promotion for the stage musical and only one that would've seen sustained advertising for it. Paramount made the strategic choice to hide the musical aspect of the film and now we are here.

I only knew this would happen because it has happened before: BEHOLD the trailer for Sweeney Todd. The only film I've ever been to where half the audience left before it was over.

At least we will always have this video though:

https://x.com/ErickLorinc/status/1745518571692941597?s=20

https://x.com/ErickLorinc/status/1745518571692941597?s=20

Edited by AJG

On 1/12/2024 at 7:31 AM, dudalb said:

I saw the touring company of the stage show; it was fun but not that memorable. Only really good song was "Apex Predator".

Yeah, and Sexy is cute and fun. Even the Regina song ain't all that considering it's Regina fucking George. The songs didn't really give the marketing team much so I can see why they went for bait and switch. Ditto for Wonka which only has a slightly superior soundtrack to Mean Girls (haven't watched The Color Purple musical so can't comment on that).

People seem to have forgotten that in order to make a musical, you need to have good songs first. Mean Girls: The Musical just seemed to be jumping on the relative success of Heathers: The Musical (which btw has FAR SUPERIOR SONGS)

The movie cast here are incredible tho with many potential superstars in the making.

• Like 1