filmlover

Mean Girls | 1/12/24 | Paramount | based on the Broadway musical based on the movie | Tina Fey to write/produce | moving from streaming to theatrical

41 minutes ago, Youngstar said:

What is it with both this movie and Wonka hiding that they are musicals? I love Musicals, so that is often already a good reason to see a movie, so why won't they market that???

Wonka's not hiding it's a musical; at least in the trailers I have seen.

I like musicals also, but not a lot of the current product. Give me the good old days of Gene Kelly and Fred Astair over what we get nowdays.

On 11/14/2023 at 1:58 AM, Spidey Freak said:

Aaron Samuels is being played by one of the The Summer I Turned Pretty bros. I feel he's more popular among Gen Z than Diego Boneta ever was.

Angourie Rice is a great choice for Cady. She was destined to breakout after The Nice Guys but surprisingly the biggest role she got was the background Betty Brant in the MCU Spidey flicks. THIS finally might be the star-making turn for her.

Renee Rapp who plays Regina is from the Broadway play and also starred in Mindy Kaling's Sex Lives of College Girls where she was supposed to be very good. Gretchen and Karen are being played by Disney+/Hulu stars. Bebe Wood was part of the cast of Love, Victor along with Scream's Mason Gooding while Avantika was the star of the Disney+ movie Spin as well as a number of Indian films. And this is the biggest live action movie role for Moana's Auli Kraval'ho who is playing Janis.

The cast is promising as many of them are potential breakouts like McAdams, Seyfried and Caplan were when they appeared in the original film 

Thanks for the info, didn't know all that. 

I have never seen The summer I turned pretty or Sex Lives of College Girls, but that probably just means I'm a bit out of touch with the Z Gen 😅. I'm not accepting the Diego Boneta disrespect tho, he's been huge in LatinoAmerica lately with his Luis Miguel series. Besides, he's worked in films with stars the size of Tom Cruise, Schwarzeneger, Alec Baldwin and Milla Jokovich.

Angourice Rice's role in Spidey was so small I can barely remember her, and The Nice Guys was actually a really fun film, but it kinda feels like it's been a lifetime since it got released, her role in that film was actually good tho. 

Love, Victor is one I actually watched and really liked, loved Bebe Wood's role on that show, and definetely didn't recognize her in the new Mean girls promo tho, but now that I did, I don't know, she feels weird in that role, a little off.

And yeah, McAdams, Seyfried and Caplan were just rising stars when they appeared in the original film, but LiLo carried all the star power needed for the film, and none of the new cast comes close to the star power she had back then. And I feel this time the stress power is much more needed, considering GP's reaction to what's been released so far has not been very positive, and at least someone like Olivia Rodrigo or Sadie Sink could make them curious for it.

If this is “rejected” by social media/young people (under 30s who, let’s face it, will make up the majority of the audience), this will flop HARD. I’m talking sub-10M weekend and 2x multi.

If it’s good, marketing ramps up, and it’s beloved, the sky’s the limit. I can’t help but think of the potential if this were an actual sequel starring all of the original actors. Could genuinely see that hitting 50M opening.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2023 at 5:42 PM, Youngstar said:

What is it with both this movie and Wonka hiding that they are musicals? I love Musicals, so that is often already a good reason to see a movie, so why won't they market that???

it's so hilarious. Color Purple too. Why even greenlight them in the first place? The fact the trailer had a olivia rodrigo song rather than an actual song from the song from the movie is crazy

• Like 1

I have listened the Broadway show songs and ew...

I think the International audience loving the original could have loved even a musical if with like modern pop music (like the Barbie soundtrack).

But the songs really seems from a traditional 50s Broadway show. Really doesn't fit with the movie and what audiences want from this movie.

This Is supposed to be a kinda of dark comedy and songs are so sugarine and old style 💀. Really stuff just for Broadway fans.

Edited by vale9001

I have seen a little bit of this mentioning it's a musical but I think it was the first trailer. Outside of that and the poster that had a music symbol in the title, not much saying it's a musical. It's a January release date, and without saying it's a music to really separate itself from the original, this feels like a unnecessary remake. 

I'm gonna watch this even if I didn't care about the musical or want remakes of classics like Mean Girls but apparently there's a surprise cameo from one of the original cast members so hopefully it's nicely done. I'd much rather have seen a direct sequel and I wonder how that would've done considering this looks to be a hit and people in general reacted very positively to the Walmart reunion commercials

I enjoyed the original mean girls. I think this one looks absolutely horrible. Maybe it's not aiming at my demographic anymore but there wasn't one part of the trailer that made me want to see the movie, in fact it did the complete opposite.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, baumer said:

I enjoyed the original mean girls. I think this one looks absolutely horrible. Maybe it's not aiming at my demographic anymore but there wasn't one part of the trailer that made me want to see the movie, in fact it did the complete opposite.

It was Planned to basically be a "TV movie" for Paramount, so It's what It Is 😅

I like the original too but i think its characters and its parodistic tone are not something can work today. I mean It still works today when you watch the original and you know It's an old movie and you can give a context to It. The impact of something you know Is new of course is different. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

On 12/14/2023 at 5:29 AM, vale9001 said:

I have listened the Broadway show songs and ew...

I think the International audience loving the original could have loved even a musical if with like modern pop music (like the Barbie soundtrack).

But the songs really seems from a traditional 50s Broadway show. Really doesn't fit with the movie and what audiences want from this movie.

This Is supposed to be a kinda of dark comedy and songs are so sugarine and old style 💀. Really stuff just for Broadway fans.

Huh?!

As a Professor of Theatre, and as someone whose career has been primarily IN musical theatre, the "Mean Girls" musical sounds NOTHING like traditional (golden age) 50s Broadway shows. That is the WILDEST thing I have ever heard. 

If you can listen to "Apex Predator" and tell me it sounds like anything from Brigadoon, the King and I, or The Music Man I don't know what to tell you...

Mean Girls is a pop/rock musical. It's super contemporary and sounds more like recent Broadway pop shows like "Legally Blonde" and "Dear Evan Hansen" and "Bring It On."

• Like 1