filmlover

Mean Girls | 1/12/24 | Paramount | based on the Broadway musical based on the movie | Tina Fey to write/produce | moving from streaming to theatrical

They're definitely leaning in on the nostalgia of the original movie more than they are the Broadway musical, which is understandable from a marketing perspective since everyone's familiar with the former. The emphasis on technology is mostly reminding me how the first one arrived just a few years before social media/iPhones arrived to take over the world. A reminder that 2004, which doesn't even feel like it was that long ago, is now officially a relic of the distant past.

30 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Why would they hide it's a musical? isn't that kinda the unique selling point here? i don't think making it look like the exact same as the original is more appealing to anybody. it just makes it look pointless.

Apparently the Broadway musical which it came from is kind of ass.

14 minutes ago, Eric Danvers said:

This is like when they do a direct-to-video sequel of a mildly successful kids movie and recast everybody with different actors and with cheaper production values.

So...like Mean Girls 2 basically.

I was just thinking the same, this just looks like Mean Girls 3

2 minutes ago, Eric Danvers said:

Honey, that's literally all the studios lmao. Welcome to capitalism.

I know, but Par is the worst of them all. At least Universal, WB produce some Oppenheimer from time to time. Even Barbie was something interesting.

Hey, they made the letter 'A' in "Mean Girls" using a music note, that's a teeny tiny itty bitty baby hint of it being a musical, what more do y'all want from a trailer! /s

It's a movie that should appeal to audiences somewhat and/or heavily inclined to like musicals, so I'm confused about why they are hiding that aspect.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

- If they fear a musical will turn people off they should've just remade the original tbh.

- This film could've done okayish if they had cast someone with star power to boost the film and get people talking and curious if "X" celebrity will live up to Regina George's name or something. And if they had gotten at least one of the main girls from the original in some important role it would've been perfect. I mean, even the straight-to-video sequel had Diego Boneta on it.

On 11/13/2023 at 12:13 PM, Safeno Rdz said:

- If they fear a musical will turn people off they should've just remade the original tbh.

- This film could've done okayish if they had cast someone with star power to boost the film and get people talking and curious if "X" celebrity will live up to Regina George's name or something. And if they had gotten at least one of the main girls from the original in some important role it would've been perfect. I mean, even the straight-to-video sequel had Diego Boneta on it.

Aaron Samuels is being played by one of the The Summer I Turned Pretty bros. I feel he's more popular among Gen Z than Diego Boneta ever was.

Angourie Rice is a great choice for Cady. She was destined to breakout after The Nice Guys but surprisingly the biggest role she got was the background Betty Brant in the MCU Spidey flicks. THIS finally might be the star-making turn for her.

Renee Rapp who plays Regina is from the Broadway play and also starred in Mindy Kaling's Sex Lives of College Girls where she was supposed to be very good. Gretchen and Karen are being played by Disney+/Hulu stars. Bebe Wood was part of the cast of Love, Victor along with Scream's Mason Gooding while Avantika was the star of the Disney+ movie Spin as well as a number of Indian films. And this is the biggest live action movie role for Moana's Auli Kraval'ho who is playing Janis.

The cast is promising as many of them are potential breakouts like McAdams, Seyfried and Caplan were when they appeared in the original film 

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1