Eric the Marxist

Twisters | Uni/WB | July 19, 2024 | A remake (?) to the 1996 classic

On 8/7/2024 at 7:32 PM, Human said:

Is this movie a hit for Universal and a bomb for Warner Bros at the same time?

Thing about Warners is that Nine Billiion Dollar loss on Max, which sent Warners stock into freefall, just ate up most of the  the profits from not just Twisters, but every film on the 2024 threatrical schedule. The shareholders will get very little if any benefit from it. Such huge amounts of Red Ink is a bad thing.

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

they should stop listening to vocally loud puritans and cutting out scenes like this. Maybe the success of something like It Ends With Us will change things. 

The issue is the the movie spent a time on the two so not lean on the romantic angle was silly especially they didnt say the relationship was all platonic

16 hours ago, Torontofan said:

The issue is the the movie spent a time on the two so not lean on the romantic angle was silly especially they didnt say the relationship was all platonic

I dont get it. 'Sex sells' has been an industry fact since movies began. Some people in hollywood think they can change human desire and behaviours.

Even I find myself more invested in characters if I think they are going to end up getting together and I'm a guy. Transformers utilized this well

Edited by Jaxon5

I wonder what the cost split was for Twisters? It was Universal, Warner Bros, Amblin and Domain Entertainment who are credited. I wouldn't be surprised if WB isn't losing much or will break even from the theatrical run OS if their cost share is 25% to 30%, they will benefit from ancillary revenue as well.

2 hours ago, Jaxon5 said:

I dont get it. 'Sex sells' has been an industry fact since movies began. Some people in hollywood think they can change human desire and behaviours.

Even I find myself more invested in characters if I think they are going to end up getting together and I'm a guy. Transformers utilized this well

Well, younger people and current audience overall seems less interested in meeting new people, having sex etc. Tinder lost 2/3 of its value over last five years and you've got the Atlantic and Bloomberg posting data how people spend more time alone than ever before. In my country birthrate is at 100+ years minimum. Even that director said they cut romance because young generations don't like these things and prefer platonic relationships so I kinda understand them.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Alexander said:

Well, younger people and current audience overall seems less interested in meeting new people, having sex etc. Tinder lost 2/3 of its value over last five years and you've got the Atlantic and Bloomberg posting data how people spend more time alone than ever before. In my country birthrate is at 100+ years minimum. Even that director said they cut romance because young generations don't like these things and prefer platonic relationships so I kinda understand them.

Yeah and that's why we shouldn't rely on articles about this as they are full of crap. Most humans will always want romance/sex despite what the their polls tell them. It's called human nature and we've literally seen what happens when you make a sexy rom com with 'Anyone but you' and we seen plenty of examples of films where the platonic relationships just don't create enough excitment to do well.

I think they should go back to making films sexy again. 50 shades is only 9 years old and it's opening adjusted to over 110m today, more than any rom com has made in total this decade and I swear there is a scene where he pulls her tampon out without warning before having sex.

Humans haven't changed that much in 9 years.

• Like 1

Okay yeah they could have included the kiss. They did not. The end.  People acting like this hurt the movie at the BO or something. The movie did well DOM at least. The OS bombing was not because of the cut out romance. People have way to much time on their hands with the stuff they get worked up about.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jaxon5 said:

Yeah and that's why we shouldn't rely on articles about this as they are full of crap. Most humans will always want romance/sex despite what the their polls tell them. It's called human nature and we've literally seen what happens when you make a sexy rom com with 'Anyone but you' and we seen plenty of examples of films where the platonic relationships just don't create enough excitment to do well.

I think they should go back to making films sexy again. 50 shades is only 9 years old and it's opening adjusted to over 110m today, more than any rom com has made in total this decade and I swear there is a scene where he pulls her tampon out without warning before having sex.

Humans haven't changed that much in 9 years.

But you can turn it and say there's been just one movie like 50 Shades or Anyone But You in last 10-12 years. The others bombed and let's be honest, it would be so hard to replicate ABY. It needed a lot of things to click and even then it made like 60-65 in 2016 money.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alexander said:

But you can turn it and say there's been just one movie like 50 Shades or Anyone But You in last 10-12 years. The others bombed and let's be honest, it would be so hard to replicate ABY. It needed a lot of things to click and even then it made like 60-65 in 2016 money.

But what steamy romantic films came out? No Hard feelings wanted to be one but just ended up being a movie that ends in a platonic relationship. Every transformers movie that hasn't had a romantic couple at the centre has seriously underperformed. At what point do they spot the trend and make adjustments? I refuse to believe the human race has taken a turn this decade from the thousands of years that came before it because of some polls taken by clickbait articles.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jaxon5 said:

Every transformers movie that hasn't had a romantic couple at the centre has seriously underperformed.

I'd argue that's more on that franchise having burnt up its goodwill with the public and now having to try a lot harder to win them back.

For what it's worth, I'm not against romance in these types of films (the MCU could do with a little more of it, I think), and I'd be thrilled if the studios decided to start spending money on steamy/sexy movies again. 

I just don't want them to shoehorn it into these films thinking "we have to have a love story", and wind up seeing two characters whose actors don't have chemistry get together. Basically - do it right, think it through, write it properly, and make sure the actors have the right chemistry. Nothing too complicated or objectionable, I hope.

That said, I thought Powell and Edgar-Jones had great chemistry here, and I wouldn't mind seeing them in another film or three together where they do have a more explicit romance.

Edited by 35MM-18

2 hours ago, Alexander said:

issue is the movie does not set up a platonic relationship though

They spend most of the movie staring at each other from a distance lol 

Edited by Torontofan

1 hour ago, Jaxon5 said:

But what steamy romantic films came out? No Hard feelings wanted to be one but just ended up being a movie that ends in a platonic relationship. Every transformers movie that hasn't had a romantic couple at the centre has seriously underperformed. At what point do they spot the trend and make adjustments? I refuse to believe the human race has taken a turn this decade from the thousands of years that came before it because of some polls taken by clickbait articles.

NHF was hilarious... The way the movie was dancing around how to 'pay' Lawrence for having sex with that guy but also not really pay her so it has this rich couple that offers some 30 years old car for that. I mean... I was looking at it in complete disbelief. 🙃