YM!

Y7 OSCARS: Pulling a Spark Homeward to fix this.

9 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Hype mode engaged 

BEST VOICE ACTOR/ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE

McKenna Grace and Anna Kendrick walk on stage.

Grace: I know it's past my bedtime, but hey man, the Oscars come first. 

Kendrick: As we all know that a single voice, though all different can bring much emotion. And that is extremely true for the medium that is animation. Voice acting can help make these animated films to newer and stronger heights, and this award will go towards one of these fine actors and actresses who delivered. Just like I stole Zendaya's win back in Y5

Grace: Without further ado, the nominees for Best Voice Actor/Actress in a Leading Role

Olivia Cooke as Ashley in Toons v Reality

Spoiler

Ashley was also admits, that for her, in order to succeed, she feels she has to fit in a certain image in order to be the best Randy understands what it’s like for not having her dreams fulfilled as Randy admits that while he does miss the limelight of fame, he wants to bring joy to others. If he didn’t, he would’ve never been created for it, as no one like getting blown up by dynamite, chased by rabid creatures or maintains bodily injuries for slapstick purposes. Randy also states Ashley shouldn’t have to give up what makes her happy, in order to appease others and tells her not to box herself up as Ashley thanks him as the two gaze at the stars.

Pixie Davies as Hilda in Hilda and the Midnight Giant

Spoiler

Frida steals the ball from Tommy and nods at David to join her as they approach Hilda with friendly, inviting smiles on their faces.

“Change could come at any time, and when you’re like me, change is gonna come at you pretty hard. That makes it frightening, and a bit traumatic...”

Hilda takes a step back, but as they get closer, her fears diminish.

“Want to play with us?” Frida asks, handing her the ball.

Hilda’s trepidation vanishes, and out comes a smile.

- Yuri Lowenthal as Kidd in The Ends of The Universe 

Spoiler

Late that night, before dawn, Kidd is woken by Adira, who asks him to come with her. She flies him up to the rim of the caldera by the village and says that since he has told her much of what he’s seen, she’d like him to see what she thinks is the most beautiful sight in the world, one she comes to see every morning. Slowly, light peeks over the horizon, progressing into a wondrous and stunning sunrise. Kidd marvels at the beautiful sight and he and Adira share a glance that lingers before Kidd breaks it off. “This place is a paradise” he comments. “Some humans have a name for a place like this, well, actually, most species do in their traditions, and though I’m not much a believer, I wouldn’t disagree with the name choice.” The two sit there and continue to watch the sun rise.

- Carey Mulligan as Yelena in Laika

Spoiler

As Yelena returns to work in her office in the kennel room, she notices Oleg standing by the doorway, who politely says hello. They share a meaningful silence.

Yelena: She survived for about five hours—into the fourth orbit.
Oleg: I heard.
Yelena: But the Chief Designer got the data he needed. And that’s what counts.
Oleg: That’s what counts.
Yelena: (tearful) My friends go to the park. Try to see the satellite pass overhead. They think there’s still a little dog alive up there, in a bubble. But I—I know better. And yet I can’t say anything.
Oleg: (sighs) None of us can.
Yelena: (pauses) I can’t do this job anymore. I did my duty. I did it. But I can’t any more. No more.

- Matthew J Thomas as Ardwin in Birdwing

Spoiler

Ardwin: I - don’t know. I’ll be a human. I’ll be normal.
Enchantress: You can be a swan and be normal. Why would you want to go back to being a human? You enjoy being a swan more.
Ardwin: Is this a joke? Did you make me prefer being a swan?
Enchantress: Oh, I guarantee you no magic can change who a person is meant to be; only change the difficulty of achieving it. Will you be happy as a human?
Ardwin: What do you even care? You’re an evil Enchantress!
Enchantress: Yes… that is what I am. Or was. Time changes everyone. I cannot make up for my actions, towards you and your family. But I can take solace from the simple facts that out of failure comes deep regret that one has even tried. Out of healing can come pain.
Ardwin: You deserve pain.
Enchantress: I do. And I have felt it for years here. Time may have passed but I do not feel better about anything I have done. I did not bring you here to ask for forgiveness, but rather,... Enough about me. What about you? Your healing has hurt most of all.
Ardwin: I don’t understand.
Enchantress: My curse affected you differently from your brothers. They always dreamed of being human, you feared the curse being lifted. You loved flying, loved hunting, loved everything about being a swan as a boy, and how is humanity treated you? Like a freak with a past not worth talking about. And how have the animals treated you? With love and respect?
Ardwin: I have human friends.
Enchantress: You do, and that gives me some solace.
Ardwin: I’m glad one of us is feeling good about my entire life.
Enchantress: Ardwin. Friends are good and necessary. But they cannot placate the feeling of where one belongs. That comes from deep within. The feeling that makes you feel awkward among even closest friends as a human, and yet, totally natural skimming a lake while flying. The answer you have sought for years seems obvious to me. Are you a human? Or are you a swan?
Ardwin: I was - I was born a human.
Enchantress: But what are you?
Ardwin: I’m… I’m a swan. 
Enchantress: Yes. And that is what makes this decision so difficult. Do you wish to sacrifice finally being what you are inside on the outside? Or do you want to go back home, and forget your human friends? I can only send you back one way. Magic does not allow switching back and forth, and I doubt we will ever see each other again, even if you try to find me. The East Wind does not often bring me visitors. 
Ardwin: Can I go back with the birdwing? So I can still talk to my animal friends?
Enchantress: (with a sly smile) Yes, I can do that for you.
Ardwin: Make me Birdwing then again. 

The Enchantress smiles, as magic from her surrounds Ardwin. As he fades to black, he hears the Enchantress: 

Enchantress: For what’s it worth, I think you chose the right answer.

and the winner is....

Spoiler

Carey Mulligan as Yelena in Laika

Mulligan: I don’t know where I start. From the moment I began recording my lines to right now as I stand on this stage, my journey with this film, and with this character, has been truly remarkable. And I think, even if here we’re so far removed from the Space Race, and the Soviet Union, I think audiences found a bit of themselves in Yelena. I know I did. My thanks go out to my fellow cast members, the animators, everyone involved in the production of this film. It was an amazing experience. Thank you.

• Like 4

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

Pete Docter, director behind To The Moon and Gateways, walks on stage.

Docter: Animation is a truly capitivating art form, and is used to tell a variety of stories. Tonight we'll be honor some of the best animated films of Y7. The nominees for Best Animated Feature is....

Birdwing

Spoiler

Ardwin then preps for the archery contest, where he knows he won’t do that well. Again, though, he muses to himself, it doesn’t matter if he wins or loses; all he really needs to do is fire a shot without his wing acting up. Charles, the Marksman, however, takes the first three shots. Charles, truly an expert at what he does, makes three bullseyes in rapid succession. He smiles and then turns to Ardwin, telling him to “beat that, freak.” Ardwin hoists up his bow on a rig that allows him to do it single-handed. His first shot goes well, a bullseye. Charles looks nervous for a second. The second one also hits a bullseye. However, when Ardwin is ready to shoot his final shot, his wing suddenly juts out, flapping out of Ardwin’s control. As Ardwin tries to calm down the instinctual response of the wing, the bow flies out of his hand and into the King and Queen’s box. The shawl thrown off, everyone glares in disgust at Ardwin, as he, not knowing what to do, gets up on his Horse and rides off into the stables.

The Ends of The Universe

Spoiler

A small group of armored pirates blast into the freighter and use non-lethal weapons to stun the security guards arrive at the freighter’s bridge. There the pirate leader pulls off his helmet, and identifies himself as William Kidd (voice of Lowenthal). He persuades the freighter captain to give up the most valuable part of his cargo, a couple hundred tons of precious metals.

Hilda and The Midnight Giant

Spoiler

Hilda: Mum... I’m trying to fix this. Just give me a little more time.
Johanna: Hilda, your safety matters above all to me… but it’s not just that.
Hilda: What other reasons would we have to move?!
Johanna: It’s just… we’re the only people for miles in this whole valley.
Hilda: But that’s what I love about it!
Johanna: Don’t you think it gets a little lonely? Wouldn't you like to have some other kids to talk to?
Hilda: I’ve got myself to talk to, and I’ve got Twig!

Twig jumps in Hilda’s arms and starts licking her face. Johanna shakes her head at her daughter’s stubbornness, but figures she can’t convince her with mere words. She digs up the old Trolberg guidebook again, flipping through the pages until she comes across a city map.

“Why don’t we take a trip to Trolberg tomorrow and look around?” she asks of Hilda. “I’m not going to force you into anything, but…”

Hilda’s about to protest, but stops herself when she sees the look in her mother’s eyes.

“All I ask is that you keep an open mind,” Johanna says to her. “If not for yourself… then at least for me.”

Hilda, not wanting to upset her mother, nods reluctantly. Johanna promises her that, should she not like Trolberg, they won’t move there unless they have to, assuring her with a warm, motherly smile.

As she ponders, Hilda starts scratching her head feverishly. “Urgh… my head is so itchy! Do I have nits?”

Laika

Spoiler

In a silent montage sequence, back at his home, Vladimir introduces his family to Laika, and his children are delighted that their father has brought a dog home. We see images of the children playing with the dog in the family room as Vladimir watches on, broken. Laika, in the meantime, is overjoyed, feeling a sense of freedom and acceptance. Meanwhile, at a bar in Moscow, Oleg takes a shot of vodka, while Yelena contemplates as she looks out at the night sky from her workplace. The next day, Vladimir takes Laika on a leash back to Yelena, and she leaps into Yelena’s arms with glee. 

Toons v Reality

Spoiler

Lawson argues it could be advanced healing and asks Randy to test it on a human as Randy is unsure as Lawson gives him his consent to spite him which Randy gleefully allows and smacks him around with the mallet. Lawson is quickly dazed but not only is their no injuries or brain damage to him, also show that the Toons aren’t harmfully, as Lawson admits he feels pain but the mallet wasn’t enough. As Randy proceeds to drop anvils, cartoon like bombs and a piano on Lawson who is in agonizing pain, is in no harm as Ashley says it’s proof that they’re sentient as even with no injuries, pain was felt. 

and the winner is

Spoiler

Laika

Christian Desmares: It is truly an honor to win such a coveted award, with such strong competition. I'd like to thank Hollywood Animation for making this possible.

• Like 4

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

Keegan Michael Key and Jordan Peele step on stage. 

Key: Now that we talk about the originals, lets give some love for the adapted.

Peele: Damn straight, Peele. These curators this year have done the almost impossible of making thought provoking and well crafted films while still making studios tons of green moolah.

Key: The nominees for Best Adapted Screenplay are...

Countdown City

Laika

Ms. Blakk for President

Notorious

The Scavenger Wars Part III

and the winner is...

Spoiler

Laika

Laika writer-director Christian Desmares: Wow. I’m truly shocked and elated this happen. Laika was a true labor of love and I’d like to thank Hollywood Animation for giving me the opportunity of making this film as well as my cast and crew. You guys rock!

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

Spoiler

A disco ball shimmers. People are shown partying on a color-tile dance floor. A detective named Doug Howard (Daniel Henney) provides a voice-over.

Doug (V.O.): The Supernova. The night club to end all night clubs. Every weekend, this club is on and poppin'. Which is ironic--because in this club, someone just got popped off.

A man with a mustache (Jason Schwartzman) falls to the dance floor. He's dead. A woman shrieks.

from the fools who brought you Yin

Doug tells his detective partner Sasha Lowell (Ruth Negga) that one of the clubbers is guilty of murdering the victim. Sasha asks him why he thinks a regular visitor of The Supernova murdered the victim.

and the director of Dolemite Is My Name

Doug says, "well, Sasha?" He puts a cigarette up to his lips and smokes it--but he doesn't exhale the smoke for a long time. Sasha states after a period of awkward silence that she doesn't think holding it for that long is healthy--but Doug holds up a finger and continues taking too long of a single smoke. Sasha throws her hands in the air as Doug chokes and coughs hoarsely.

comes the grooviest whodunit of all time

- Rufus (Ben Mendelsohn) sinks a ball at a billiards table and shouts, "boom-shakalaka!"

- Tanya (Jennifer Lawrence), in a leopard-print outfit, tells Sasha on a New York sidewalk, "I think you're out of your league on this one. I really do."

- Benny (Armie Hammer) tells Doug in an alleyway at night, "I wouldn't have killed him, I own the joint."

- Kallie (Alexandra Shipp) buries her hands in her face, telling Sasha that she's sorry about something.

- Irvin (Daveed Diggs), a bouncer, denies Doug and Sasha entry into the club.

- Felix (Chris Evans) storms down a hallway, and in a voice-over, he shouts, "I will drain that disco cesspool dry until I find who killed him!" And after that line, he takes out a pistol and loads it.

- Catina (Penelope Cruz) opens her apartment front door. She tells Doug that he has something on his face. Doug has chocolate around his lips--he slowly licks his lips to get the chocolate off. Catina says, "you're here to investigate me, aren't you?" Doug smiles awkwardly. "Next time, bring a warrant," Catina says as she closes the door.

Daniel Henney

Ruth Negga

Chris Evans

Armie Hammer

Ben Mendelsohn

Penelope Cruz

Daveed Diggs

Alexandra Shipp

with Jason Schwartzman

and Jennifer Lawrence

Doug chases a suspect on a rooftop. The suspect does a parkour jump to another rooftop. Sasha tells him that he has to jump and chase after them. Doug cracks his neck saying, "you don't have to tell me twice!" He jumps off the roof, but doesn't quite make it and falls to an elderly woman's apartment balcony. Doug tries to say "hi," but the woman starts beating him with a cane as Sasha watches from the roof and cringes.

SMOOTH MOVES

Doug shouts to the elderly woman, "I'm a detective! I'm after a smooth criminal! Michael Jackson joke! Ouch!"

May 17th, Y8

• Like 2

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Florence Pugh walks on to the stage.

Pugh: A lot of us realize that like my friend, Dan Stevens said scenestealers help make films. And tonight we honor the ladies who have rocked these roles. The nominations for Best Supporting Actress are...

Amy Adams as Heidi in Dear Evan Hansen

Spoiler

Heidi immediately turns to Evan and asks him if he’s seen the note that’s been going around Facebook, Connor’s note. Evan just nods his head. Heidi quietly asks him if he wrote it, recognizing “Dear Evan Hansen” from Evan’s therapy. Evan nods, trying to keep this conversation to a minimum.

Heidi: I didn’t know.
Evan: No one did.
Heidi: No, that’s not what I - I didn’t know that you… were hurting. Like that. That you felt so… I didn’t know. How did I not know?
Evan: Because I never told you.
Heidi: You shouldn’t have had to.
Evan: I lied. About… so many things. Not just Connor. Last summer, I just… felt so alone.
Heidi: You can tell me.
Evan: (shaking his head) You’ll hate me.
Heidi: Oh, Evan.
Evan: You should hate me. If you knew what I tried to do. If you know who I am, how… broken I am.
Heidi: I already know you. And I love you.

- Shoreh Aghdashloo as Nhadra in Notorious

Spoiler

Back at the Faraz’s estate, Nhadra continues to question Soraya, asking her who sent her, who she reports to, what her goal is, and Soraya, looking tired and in pain, is staying silent. We see Nhadra is using thin, sharp needles to insert underneath fingernails and toenails, though the actual probing is done off-screen with clever blocking techniques, and we hear Soraya’s screams.

- Kaitlyn Dever as Nico in Countdown City

Spoiler

Nico says that the U.S. military when planning hypothetical responses commissioned designs for new payloads, new fuses, everything to make it work. But certain elements in the government prefer to let the asteroid hit, wipe out much of the world, so they can start from scratch. There’s a scientist, Hans-Michael Parry, who is one of the few people who can pull this thing off. Nico’s people have figured out what military prison he is being held in, in the Midwest, and they’re in the process of organizing to break him out. Hank says she can’t actually expect him to believe all this, to believe that she believes all this. Nico says she believes it because it is true. When Hank asks how she knows it’s true, her response is “because it is. I can’t make you believe me.”

“You’re right” Hank replies.

Nico gets up from where she was sitting and says she leaves tomorrow. When she was off with Jordan, he let her know that a helicopter is coming to pick up the group outside town. So, it’s possible she might not see Hank again for a while, if ever.

HANK: Nico, please, don’t. You don’t have to do this.
NICO: It’s okay Henry, you don’t have to try and protect me anymore. Good luck with your case.

And Nico turns and half-sad half-angry walks out the door. Hank watching her go

- Rinko Kikuchi as Yukiko in Megalo Box

Spoiler

Yukiko turns to leave. Coach Ned grabs her by the arm.

Coach Ned: If we go down, we’ll drag everything down! Both Megalonia and you!

Yukiko: You expect me to trust you after this?

Coach Ned: Not me. You just need to trust Joe. The fights he’s one have all been real! He’s the genuine article, and that’s a fact! All I’m asking for is a single chance! A chance to show everyone his true skill!

Yukiko hesitates before collecting herself.

Yukiko: I understand. I understand that I can never accept how the two of you operate, that is.

- Zendaya as Zoe in Dear Evan Hansen

Spoiler

Zoe and Evan sit on his bed, as Zoe begins to sing “Only Us”, an attempt to encourage Evan on his own self-esteem. Through the song, she gestures to things in Evan’s room that are sources of his low self-esteem. Halfway through the song, they return to the Murphys’ house, going past their parents to talk up in Zoe’s room. At the end of the song, they kiss again.

and the winner is...

Spoiler

Amy Adams in Dear Evan Hansen

Amy Adams in Dear Evan Hansen: Oh, wow. I'm gonna make it quick up here. Lord knows you guys haven't. (laughter mixed with oohs) I'm kidding! I'm kidding! It's a honor to finally get one of these babies, and I'm so happy it happened with the role of Heidi Hansen, a role I fell in love with when I saw Dear Evan Hansen on Broadway years ago, and I never imagined I'd get a chance to portray. Rachel, your original portrayal of her was a true inspiration, and acting alongside you was a surreal yet awesome experience. Uh, let me run through the cast: Lucas, Brian, Zendaya... all of you were great and awesome to work with. Lucas, again, brilliant in this movie, and an actor I've been wanting to work with since you burst on the scene a few years ago. Darnell, you were a excellent director, and Steve, Benj, Justin... your original story has stood the test of time and made an excellent foundation for this movie. Thank you Darren for being the greatest love of my life; your support has meant the world and beyond for me. Avi, I love you. Thank you again for this; I will cherish it always!

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

BEST ACTRESS

Tessa Thompson walks on the stage.

Thompson: As we all know, a film is nothing without a strong leading woman. Tonight, we dedicate this to the leading ladies as we announce the winner for Best Actress. The nominations are...

Amy Adams as Alida in Roman Fever

Spoiler

With fake niceties, Alida tells her she isn’t usually sentimental but it was so wonderful to bump into her old friend Grace and her daughter in Rome, especially since Grace never got the opportunity to travel when she was married. Grace falters slightly but agrees that as sad as it was to be widowed a couple years earlier, it must be harder for Alida, since her husband only died a few months ago. Alida smiles at her and tells her she lived a wonderful life with her husband but got her amazing daughter Jenny out of it, though sometimes she worries Jenny is a bit too plain, especially for her age. Grace subtly agrees, telling her Jenny lacks a certain “vividness” Alida had when she was younger. The women stare each other down for a few moments of silence. The tension is cut by the clocktower ringing five. Grace suggests they return to the hotel for drinks but Alida says she prefers to stay at the restaurant.

- Golshifteh Farahani as Soraya in Notorious

Spoiler

Soraya hears from her boss. The partners won’t break policy for her. She’ll have her job waiting for her when the time is right, but if she’s going to be on personal leave, she won’t get any compensation beyond pay she’d get for burning through her accumulated personal time, which is a considerable amount. Her boss apologizes, saying he went to bat for her, and Soraya brusquely thanks him and hangs up. She angrily swats a wineglass off the counter she is sitting at, and just sits in distress, head in her hands. Her eyes see the crumpled index card.

She calls the number and Peter answers. He’s glad she decided to call. Soraya wants to know how he can help her father and Peter says it’s better they talk in person. He gives her an address.

- Maggie Gyllenhaal as Evelyn in Fatal Attraction

Spoiler

At that moment, Evelyn pulls out her pocketknife, and the two begin to scuffle. Jacob turns out to be a more experienced fighter than his appearance suggests. At that moment, Evelyn's phone rings, and the two fight over the phone, with Evelyn pushing Jacob away before he can answer the phone. She lands a blow with the knife into his stomach, and sends him flying into the glass door in the kitchen onto the backyard. Kicking him while he's down, Evelyn knows him unconscious, and throws him down the hill into a nearby creek right as Harold, Olivia and Daniel arrive home.

- Winona Ryder as Grace in Roman Fever

Spoiler

Grace interrupts, asking why Alida thought of all this now. Alida muses that despite Grace going out at night in the Roman Winter and getting sick because of it, she recovered. Alida turns towards Grace and asks her what was so important that she needed to go out at night when she knew Roman Fever was a risk. Grace shrugs, still looking at her knitting and Alida blurts out that she knows why Grace went that night, and has known all these years.

- Mary Elizabeth Winstead in The Scavenger Wars Part III 

Spoiler

Lucina: I told you if it came to it, I wouldn’t hesitate.
Sunn: And I don’t doubt you would. What I want to know is… do you want to live with the fact?
Lucina: Why not? Not the first life I had to take, probably won’t be the last.

Sunn’s judging glare intensified.

Sunn: Let’s say you do kill Jarek, and Tamara’s been “avenged,” as you put it. Then what?
Lucina: What do you mean, like… what do I do after that?
Sunn: What would it bring you?
Lucina: Catharsis… relief… a renewed sense of purpose… other things I can’t think of right now…
Sunn: And what if it’s none of that?

Lucy froze. Sunn, scornful of her, repeated what she said.

“What if you kill him… and it brings you nothing?”

Lucina fell silent. She averted Sunn’s glare, pretending they weren’t speaking.

and the winner is...

Spoiler

Golshifteh Farahani

Golshifteh: Thanks so much for the award. It’s an honor to have won and I’d like to thank the cast and crew of Notorious for their work in the film.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 2

Best Actor

Adam Driver walks on the stage.

Adam: Like my friend Tessa, a strong leading performance can help bring out the best of a film. Tonight, we honor the best actors as we award one of them Best Actor and the nominees are...

Tituss Burgress as Terrence Smith in Ms. Blakk 4 President

Spoiler

Purple lights on a drag runway. Ms. Blakk is here to dance for the audience in front of him, who cheer wildly. Miss Blak for President!! Lick Bush in 92!! Suddenly, an announcer is heard, announcing a special guest, a celebrity endorser of Ms. Blakk - David Bowie. “Starman” blares as Ms. Blakk turns around and sees David Bowie walking his way. Ms. Blakk immediately freaks out, utterly fanboying over Bowie, but Bowie only stares with a silent smile, offering his hand to dance. As they dance in an erotic yet intimate manner, the audience cheers louder and louder and begins singing along to the song.

Oscar Isaac as Peter in Notorious

Spoiler

Cut to Soraya in her new hotel room while Peter briefs a jittery Soraya about what to expect. The main thing is for her to not push things too hard, too fast. “Take it slow, natural. Whenever possible, let him be the one to suggest moving things along.” Soraya asks Peter if he’s had experience with things like this before, Lizzie looking away to conceal an awkward expression, and Peter says he has. It didn’t mean anything to him then, “just like this won’t mean anything to you now. Remember, the man you fell for is gone.” Soraya nods and Peter gives her hand a squeeze and says it will be fine.

James McAvoy as Jacob in Fatal Attraction

Spoiler

Describing his disgust with her family life, Jacob recalls many of the same things he's said about the dangers women face in contemporary society, but with a sinister edge. Finally, Jacob says that she can leave all of this behind right now before her husband finds out, promising her a place where she can be respected.

Ryan Gosling as Captain George Abbot in The First Month

Spoiler

George struggles to his feet, but is feeling well enough to move on his own. He pokes his head out of his room and a guard sees him. “Oh, so now you’re up” the guard says, walking over to him. Grabbing his arm, the guard tells him that the boss wants to see him.

George is taken to Hawke. Hawke is pleased to see George and, the madness trickling through, briefly explains his plan to George and says that with the people who have died, the rations will last them at least a few days more, which will give them more time to prepare. George asks what makes Hawke so sure that there is even a world to take advantage of, since additional nuclear strikes could have happened. Hawke replies “All the more reason to stay in here until we are absolutely ready.” George says that the food will run out at some point, so what will Hawke do, eat the bodies? Hawke, after a few seconds, says “I’ve considered all possibilities.” George sighs. “I’m with you” he tells Hawke, who is pleased.

Lucas Hedges as Evan Hansen in Dear Evan Hansen

Spoiler

Evan: Good morning, students and faculty. I would, um, I would just like to say a few words to you today about… my best friend… Connor Murphy. I’d like to tell you about the day that we went to the old Autumn Smile Apple Orchard. Connor and I, we stood under an oak tree, and Connor said, he wondered what the world would look like from all the way up there. So we decided to find out. We started climbing slowly, one branch at a time. When I finally looked back, we were already thirty feet off the ground. Connor just looked at me, and smiled, that way he always did. And then… well, then… I -

Evan pauses, and wipes his sweaty palms on his shirt, trying to calm down. He instead feels the deafening silence. He continues to wipe his hands and he slowly continues.

Evan (cont’d): … I fell. I lay there on the ground and then -

Evan flips the next card.

Evan (cont’d): Good morning, students and faculty, I would um -

Evan realizes he’s reading the first card again. He quickly flips through them, trying to find where he was, but is completely lost. He suddenly drops a card, and then he tries to go grab it from the ground. When he bends over, he freezes, seeing everyone staring at him in confusion. He falls on the ground and begins to cry, realizing the mess he’s made it. As he cries, the tear hits Connor’s tie, and Evan looks at it for a quick second, making a decision. Trying to compose himself, he stands and begins singing, still emotional, into the microphone, “You Will Be Found”. Pause at 0:37 as Evan speaks:

Evan: But see, the thing is, when I looked up… Connor was there. That’s the gift he gave me. To show me that I wasn’t alone. To show me that I matter. That everybody does. That’s the gift that he gave all of us. I just wish… I wish we could’ve given that to him.

More confident, Evan continues to sing (start the song). He does not mean to admonish his classmates; rather he wants them to find hope that he finds in his imagined version of Connor being there for him. This is very low-key and sincere, as it’s Evan speaking from the heart for the first time ever.

and the winner is...

Spoiler

Tituss Burgress as Terrence Smith/Ms. Blakk

Tituss Burgess in Ms. Blakk 4 President: Alright. Thank you, thank you all. I got quite a few people to thank, and I don't want to be played off! Marielle, thank you for taking a chance on me when I know I don't necessarily have the filmography to back me up. But that's kinda the thing, isn't it? There aren't a lot of roles for a guy like me in Hollywood, certainly not in the movies. When a role like Ms. Blakk comes around, you know I'm gonna fight hard for it, but I'm also not going be the only one fighting for it. So I guess what I mean is... thank you for letting me beat out Billy Porter. (laughter) But seriously, portraying Terence Smith was one of the biggest honors of my life, and bringing attention to his story means so much to so many people. Tarell, you wrote a lovely film that put the humanity of Ms. Blakk in focus, and Marielle, you are honestly the greatest director I've had the chance to work with so far. The melding of your visions - and Tina's vision and Terence's own story - is what has made Ms. Blakk resonate with so many people. WJ, you were the best brother I could ask for in this; I wish I had someone like JJ growing up and you portrayed his role perfectly. You are one of many reasons why I'm up here now, along with the rest of our lovely cast. Now, I know I've been up here a bit but I've got one last person to thank: Terence Smith, or, as I'm sure you all know him, Ms. Joan Jett Blakk. Terence, your story shook me to my core when I first heard about it, but in a good sense. I was only broken because it took me so long to hear about it. So many stories, so many people, are lost to time and having the absolute privilege to portray you and return your story to the public eye is something I still can't was something I could actually do. We need more stories like yours, stories of determination and self-love, hope in a time of hopeless, and stories that capture just what it means to be loud and proud. Thank you all again so much for this award, and thank you, Terence, for your story. Thank you!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Spoiler

Blankments Productions Logo

A blue sky, then we pan down to a town made of ice.

Voice of Siena Agudong: My grandmother used to tell me stories about the old days.

Cut to a large metal boat, in the ocean, clearly moving quickly through the water.

Voice of Siena Agudong: A time of peace and balance.

Cut to a canoe with two indecipherable people on it, in an ocean with pieces of ice, desperately dodging the ice. Cut to black.

Voice of Siena Agudong: But that all changed when the Fire Nation attacked.

Cut to a forest blazing on fire. A boy stares at the edge of the forest, frozen in terror.

Voice of Siena Agudong: Some people believe that the Avatar was never reborn, and the cycle was broken.

The two people, with backs turned to the audience, stand on a block of ice, as the water in front of them boils and glows. (If you’re listening to the music, make sure you are at 0:50 by now)

Voice of Siena Agudong: But I haven’t lost hope.

An gigantic iceberg emerges from the water, with a clear boy and a giant bison frozen within. Fade to… (0:57)

THE LAST AIRBENDER

A centipede-esque monster crawls down from what appears to be a dead tree.

THE BOY IN THE ICEBERG

November 15, Y8

A seemingly impossibly high wall dwarfs a small ferry approaching it.

CITY OF WALLS AND SECRETS

November 14, Y9

A solar eclipse shrouds a large capital city into utter darkness.

INTO THE INFERNO

November 13, Y10

Cut to a CGI shot of Earth, Fire, Water, and Air intertwining and revealing all three titles and dates at once.

Voice of Siena Agudong: I believe that someday, the Avatar will return and save the world.

Full announcement coming 8/16/20

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 6

BEST DIRECTOR

Debra Grunik steps on stage.

Grunik: A great director helps bring out many things in a film, from how it should be shot or it's personality. Tonight, we honor the directors who have made multiple films in Y7, but only one of our five nominations will win the Best Director award. And the nominations are...

Marielle Heller
Denis Villenueve
Karyn Kusuma
Mimi Leder
Matt Shakman

and the winner is...

Spoiler

Marielle Heller

Marielle Heller for Ms. Blakk 4 President: Oh my God! Thank you all so much for this truly awesome honor. I can't believe I am up here right now, but I gotta thank the people I have to thank. A couple years ago, Tarell and Tina approached me with their stageplay, and I just thought it was a truly lovely story that was needed to be seen by a larger audience. It was an honor to help bring it to life. Tituss, working with you was remarkably fun and the experience of a lifetime to help you sink into this phenomenal role. William, Miley, Luke, Harvey... thank you for being in this movie, and making it the ensemble needed to support Ms. Blakk. Tarell and Tina, of course, thank you for getting me involved here and thinking of me when it came to this material. My producers and the rest of the team behind the movie, thank you too; my goal in my career has been to make films about people who don't necessarily get movies made about them, and Ms. Blakk is definitely a one-of-a-kind subject. Finally, thank you, Jorma, who has always been there for me and supports me every step of the way. Wylie, if you're up right now, Mom loves you very much and you need to get to bed, there's school tomorrow. Thank you all again!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 4