chasmmi

It Returns... The Winter Game rises from the ashes Gasping for Air. Preseason Deadline: October 8th

3 minutes ago, Let There Be Legion said:

I suspect @Cap also fell for the frq2 issue, as the rest of their numbers don’t seem in line with a 45M Eternals OW (like the part where they have it at 95M OW)

When I saw worldwide, I just assumed he forgot a zero (so it was supposed to be like 450 not 45) and was asking how much close it was to all those. Lolololol 

Actually that leads me to a followup about rfq3. Does it have to be released in that month (so, Jan releases only for Jan) or just whatever game eligible movie has the highest grosses during the month (so NWH eligible for Jan)?

1 minute ago, Cap said:

When I saw worldwide, I just assumed he forgot a zero (so it was supposed to be like 450 not 45) and was asking how much close it was to all those. Lolololol 

Yep, just like inception was asking about upthread 😆

3 minutes ago, Let There Be Legion said:

Venom isn’t eligible for anything because it came out too early, right? Like highest October release, or holdover grosses during the game period landing in the top 10, or such not

No, I think there is one question that mentions Venom, but otherwise no. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Let There Be Legion said:

Actually that leads me to a followup about rfq3. Does it have to be released in that month (so, Jan releases only for Jan) or just whatever game eligible movie has the highest grosses during the month (so NWH eligible for Jan)?

It does specifically say in Post two of this thread that films released in a previous month can be chosen, but only their calendar gross for  the month will be counted.

In that vein, you are free to choose Venom for October, but just realise that you are only picking Venom's total from this weekend onwards 

• Like 1

So, the Week 1 and Preseason threads are locked now. 

However as this is only week 1 and I do want to let as many people in as possible, I will take Preseason entries from late entrants for the next couple of days if you either PM them to me or post in here. 

For fairness though, I think the best thing for all is that I just say you will not be eligible to make gross predictions for Bond OW or DOM. So you can still have them in your lists, but I will ignore the gross for that film only. 

@dajk same will apply 

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Starting at a disadvantage since I missed the first week, plus my preseason won't include Bond (my bad for being late, thanks @chasmmi for still letting me play!) but I'm super excited to be a part of this once again!

You will only miss out on gross bonuses for Bond. Will I still give/take points based on it appearing in the top 10/5. 

And there will be make ups in the final week :)  

• Thanks 1

On 9/7/2021 at 6:35 AM, chasmmi said:

A film cannot qualify twice however.

I guess this means we’re using caps 6th entry for the top 5 OWs 😛    

My weekend has been a ton of work and sleep, but I’ve been chipping away at these and I’m almost done, will get it locked in before going to sleep for sure. 

5.   Which studio will have the most films in the top 5?

a)   Disney                           b) Sony                     c) Warner Bros

6.   Which studio will have the most films in places 6-10?

a)   Disney                           b) Universal                c) Warner Bros

7.   Which studio will have the most films in places 10-15?

a)   Universal                        b) Sony                     c) Warner Bros

How are these scored in case of a tie?

10.  Which of the following will have the closest combined best weekends?

Should this be highest combined best weekends?

Edited by Let There Be Legion

A: Domestic top 10:

1) NWH 575M

2) Eternals 300M

3) NTTD 180M 

4) Encanto 165M

5) Sing 2 150M

6) M4 140M

7) Ghostbusters 120M

😎 Halloween Kills 105M

9) Dune 95M

10) WSS 90M

Backup 11*) the king’s man 75M

*Only used if a film above exits the game 

B: Top 5 Domestic OW:

1) NWH 210M

2) Eternals 110M

3) NTTD 65M

4) HWK 43M

5) Ghostbusters 42M

Backup 6*) Dune 40M

*Only used if a film above exits the game

😄 RANDOM FREE QUESTIONS

RFQ1:  Predict which film will finish closest to each of the following milestones domestically by the end of the game:

A: 50M Clifford

B: 100M HWK

C 150M Sing 2

D 200M NTTD

RFQ2: Predict which film will finish closest to each of the following best weekend milestones by the end of the game:

A: $30 Sing 2

B: $45 HWK

C $60 NTTD

D $75 NTTD

RFQ3: Predict the highest grossing film released in each month by the end of the game:

A: October NTTD

B: November Eternals

😄 December NWH

😧 January NWH

😧 RANDOM QUESTIONS OF DANGER

1.   How many films in the OW Top 5 will release Day and Date on a streaming service?

a)   0                                  b) 1                           c) 2

2.   If Venom had been eligible for the game, where would its final total gross finish?

a)   Top 3                            b) Top 6                     c) 7th or lower

3.   Which of the following Studios will have the highest grossing film?

a)    Sony                             b) MGM                      c) Warner Bros

4.   How many films will gross more than $100M?

a)   6 or fewer                      b) 7-8                        c) 9 or more

5.   Which studio will have the most films in the top 5?

a)   Disney                           b) Sony                     c) Warner Bros

6.   Which studio will have the most films in places 6-10?

a)   Disney                           b) Universal                c) Warner Bros

7.   Which studio will have the most films in places 10-15? 

a)   Universal                        b) Sony                     c) Warner Bros

8.   How many different films will finish 1st Domestic, 1st Top Weekend, and 1st WW?

a)   1                                  b) 2                           c) 3

9.   Which of the following will have the highest combined Domestic gross?

a)   Eternals + Encanto          b) Bond + Dune          c) Spider-Man + Ghostbusters

10.  Which of the following will have the closest combined best weekends?

a)   Spider-Man + Halloween   b) Matrix + Sing          c) Bond + West Side Story

11.  How much will the Domestic Top 10’s combined gross be?

a)   Less than $1.25B             b) $1.25B-1.6B           c) Over $1.6B

12.   How much will the top 5 best Weekends’ combined gross be?

a)   Less than $300M             b) $300M-$400M         c) Over $400M   

DO NOT ALTER THE TEMPLATE! JUST ADD IN YOUR ANSWERS AS REQUIRED. FOLLOWING THIS ONE SIMPLE INSTRUCTION WILL LAND YOU 20,000 BONUS POINTS

On 10/11/2021 at 5:49 PM, Let There Be Legion said:

How are these scored in case of a tie?

Should this be highest combined best weekends?

I apologize this is late. 

In a tie, both are correct. Yes it is highest combined. 

(Let me know, if that affects your guesses.)

(Not doing this for 2 years and trying to force it into life has left things a bit rustier and mistake riddled than usual. But if it works out, I can improve that for Summer next year when hopefully it can be the normal game). 

Sorry for delayed response, it is a mixture of Time zones, work, and getting back into the habit of doing this. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

In a tie, both are correct. Yes it is highest combined. 

(Let me know, if that affects your guesses.)

Haha, it is a bit brutal for aiming 12 incorrect when a 2 and 2 or 1 and 1 tie is quite possible for some of them. I'd hoped maybe that ties would count as correct or incorrect depending on which was more useful.  But I'm not going to change all my responses as a result -- live by the sword, die by the sword.

Edited by Let There Be Legion

I see the threads auto lock now and display what day and local time they will do so. That is awesome!   

In the era of MTC tracking I wonder if it would be worth bringing the deadline up a day — we’re going to have near-actuals for previews most weeks and it may homogenize the weekly responses a bit. This is my first time playing of course so I’m not sure how much this sort of thing has already been discussed or experimented with.

• Like 1