Eric Prime

Venom: Let There Be Carnage (2021)

Venom: Let There Be Carnage (2021)  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

An absolute mess but a fun mess that's compulsively watchable, and a definite improvement over its depressingly mediocre predecessor. Whereas that movie felt like an attempt at a serious superhero movie that accidentally ended up on the campy side of business, Andy Serkis approaches this fully aware that he's making a schlocky B-movie (albeit one with a bafflingly overqualified cast) that doesn't pretend it's anything more than that. The biggest disappointment is that because this is a total CGI fest, we aren't fully treated to the promise of Legends Hardy and Harrelson battling it out as to who can chew the most scenery since their computer-made symbiotes dominate the majority of their action moments. A mixed bag overall: it's definitely not a good movie at all, but is it a highly entertaining one to see in a big theater with a sold out crowd? You bet it is.

And the mid-credits scene holy shit lmfao! I don't know if it's absurd or a stroke of genius that

Spoiler

Sony is apparently somehow managing to turn all the Spidey-verse movies they've made over the last 19 years into MCU canon retroactively.

C+

I had an unexpectedly large amount of fun with this, all the Eddie/Venom bromance scenes were hilarious, Tom Hardy knows exactly what type of film he’s making and just has an absolute blast with it. I honestly enjoyed this more than all of the “proper” MCU films released so far this year! 

Not as fun as the first film. Pretty sure the only thing anyone's gonna remember it for is the credits scene. I mean it was fine. I somewhat enjoyed the 90 minutes (and glad it was only 90 minutes), and wholly enjoyed every single Tom hardy / Venom scene. I could literally watch that double act all day every day for a whole year and not get bored.

There are definitely worse tentpole films out there.

Well I say tentpole, it feels more like a straight to video sequel... in a good way.

Edited by Avatree

they definitely leaned into the comedy more with this one even michelle williams and her boyfriend were goofier so i enjoyed that, and tom hardy is fun to watch but honestly kinda switched off every time they cut back to carnage and his girlfriend. dude was a total buzzkill.