Dog (2022)  

3 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

This was very enjoyable. The plot points are exactly what you'd expect it but it's all handled with a dash of sincerity and earnestness. The film does a good job of actually taking it's time and not devolving into schmaltz until it's final moments. It also acts a nice reminder of just how magnetic and funny of a screen presence Channing Tatum is, great to have him back on the big screen. I was definitely won over and charmed by the film. 

This is a weird film. Reminded me of 2010s Clint Eastwood—particularly The Mule, 1517 To Paris, American Sniper—and Soderbergh, with a touch more sentimentality. The film has an uneven tone and pacing but is formally capable-Tatum is framed with charismatic attention to his features, the camera makes note of the dog’s perspective, and the editing is crisp. The film tries to cater to both sides of the war argument to its detriment (there is a reverence and heroism to its perception of the troops/brotherhood) but while it doesn’t outright condemn the military, it surprisingly and brutally depicts PTSD and how veterans are stripped of their sensitivity due to American exceptionalism and patriotism.

Oh, and did I mention the absolutely baffling 2nd act detours in Portland where every character is an exaggerated liberal or therapeutic messiah to contrast Tatum’s masculine facade? And before I forget, there’s a scene the dog cockblocks Tatum from a 3way with two hippie sex therapists. 

But it really delivers and brings it home in the final stretch. It’s episodic yet the ending is an emotional payoff that honors the shagginess of the journey and relationship. It really plays well when it’s Tatum interacting with the dog because it’s a pure showcase of how likable and endearing a performer he is. 

I actually really liked this. Sure, it follows the road trip/unlikely companions formula to a T, but it has plenty of heart without drowning in mawkishness while Channing Tatum and his canine costar make for a delightful screen team. It's a movie that should win over any person with even the slightest bit of affection for dogs. B+