Fullbuster

Russia Box Office

There are three main factors at work here:1) Average ticket price is very low..... around $2-3 at current exchange rates.2) Less than 10% people understand English properly right now.2) Local movies dominate here. And every language zone has its own movie industry.

Too many languages are there in India, in China, 95% of the whole population could speak Mandarin.

Much of Indian economy is subsistence farming, and people who grow their own food to avoid hunger, these kind of people don't go to movies very often. And their GDP growth is basically the same as their population growth.Bottomline: there's no hope there for Hollywood.

Brazil was like this too, but it changed.India will change too.And India has English as an official language, the language grows there, so we'll see more interactions between India and Hollywood, why not some partnership between Bollywood/Holywood? The fast-growing Indian population in the US can be important too (they are 3 million in the US and are the most educated group in the US).

Too many languages are there in India, in China, 95% of the whole population could speak Mandarin.

Even Hindi movies find it hard to find a sizable audience in South India. TDKR and TASM have actually performed much above expectations here. TASM is looking at a 45 crore finish (highest ever) and TDKR is looking at a 40 crore finish (3rd highest ever). In 2nd highest ever, surprisingly is 2012 (the John Cusack movie).

There are three main factors at work here:1) Average ticket price is very low..... around $2-3 at current exchange rates.2) Less than 10% people understand English properly right now.2) Local movies dominate here. And every language zone has its own movie industry.

India needs some inflation :PAnd do you think the English factor will improve? And the language zone, Hollywood translates the movies in local languages no?

Brazil was like this too, but it changed.India will change too.And India has English as an official language, the language grows there, so we'll see more interactions between India and Hollywood, why not some partnership between Bollywood/Holywood? The fast-growing Indian population in the US can be important too (they are 3 million in the US and are the most educated group in the US).

There are plenty of Bollywood-Hollywood partnerships currently. But they are in terms of producing Hollywood movies. If they start casting Indian actors in prominent roles, it will help the movies a lot in their Indian theatrical run (and i don't mean Frieda Pinto, not many actually care about her). The 2 biggest grossers over the past year have had a promotion focusing on the Indian actors in the cast. M:I4 with Anil Kapoor and TASM with Irrfan Khan.

Local languages yeah, but Hindi and English are the main languages in India no? Most of Indians should speak one of them.

India needs some inflation :PAnd do you think the English factor will improve? And the language zone, Hollywood translates the movies in local languages no?

The English factor is improving, in fact English is acting as a bridge language between different zones in India as opposed to Hindi. The local language version of English movies typically dont do that well, only performing 10-20% of the English version.

There are plenty of Bollywood-Hollywood partnerships currently. But they are in terms of producing Hollywood movies. If they start casting Indian actors in prominent roles, it will help the movies a lot in their Indian theatrical run (and i don't mean Frieda Pinto, not many actually care about her). The 2 biggest grossers over the past year have had a promotion focusing on the Indian actors in the cast. M:I4 with Anil Kapoor and TASM with Irrfan Khan.

Sure :) But we can expect deeper partnerships; I think it's promising.

Local languages yeah, but Hindi and English are the main languages in India no? Most of Indians should speak one of them.

No, Hindi is spoken only by less than 50% of the country (area wise). English is catching on and should overtake Hindi in the "language known by most people" race.

And do you think the English factor will improve?

Definitely...... 10 years ago..... in my hometown (population of 100,000).... only 1 person could fully understand Hollywood movies in English without the aid of subtitles........ me. :) Now there must be about 100 (only!); in 10 years there should be over 1000.

The English factor is improving, in fact English is acting as a bridge language between different zones in India as opposed to Hindi. The local language version of English movies typically dont do that well, only performing 10-20% of the English version.

Why is that? People prefers the original version?

In china, the subtitle version accounts 80%+, it's young people's first choice.

Why is that? People prefers the original version?

Many factors:- The lip sync issue is a major one when dubbing into local languages, the bad lip sync can cause audiences to be turned off easily- There are certain expectations from a local language movie which are not met by a Hollywood movie, the main being song and dance which are somewhat necessary if a movie is to succeed in the local language- Loss in translation, there are some jokes and some explanations which are just lost in translation- Unintentional comedy, Hindi and other Indian languages are probably not best suited for lengthy technobabble explanations. Most expository movies just become comedies when watched in a local language (which may explain why 2012 did so well in the dubbed versions, not much to explain "Earth explodes and we must run")I remember watching a dubbed version (in Bhojpuri, not Hindi) of Spider-Man 3. Most fun i have had at the movies, it was probably the best way to watch that movie.

No, Hindi is spoken only by less than 50% of the country (area wise). English is catching on and should overtake Hindi in the "language known by most people" race.

I'm happy to read this, India is such a big and promising countries, I would love to speak with them during tourism travels, and I want to work in the foreign trade, I could deal and work with Indians if English is important there :)English being a bridge between Indians and the world would be wonderful :)

Definitely...... 10 years ago..... in my hometown (population of 100,000).... only 1 person could fully understand Hollywood movies in English without the aid of subtitles........ me. :) Now there must be about 100 (only!); in 10 years there should be over 1000.

It's great and promising, I hope your hometown is the beginning of a trend :P I heard it's the language of Indian elites, you can't have real power without English skills.

In china, the subtitle version accounts 80%+, it's young people's first choice.

English + Chinese subtitles?Here in France people aren't open-minded about languages, people want the version with French voice, only some theaters in Paris gives the original version with subtitles.

English + Chinese subtitles?Here in France people aren't open-minded about languages, people want the version with French voice, only some theaters in Paris gives the original version with subtitles.

English voice and Chinese subtitles. While for animations, many people choose the dubbed version.

- Unintentional comedy, Hindi and other Indian languages are probably not best suited for lengthy technobabble explanations. Most expository movies just become comedies when watched in a local language (which may explain why 2012 did so well in the dubbed versions, not much to explain "Earth explodes and we must run")

I remember watching a dubbed version (in Bhojpuri, not Hindi) of Spider-Man 3. Most fun i have had at the movies, it was probably the best way to watch that movie.

What the hell? o_o