Eric Prime

Cinemacon 2022 Discussion Thread

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

If anything Puss 2 saved Shazam, less likely to take PLFs from it and Puss 2 is much smaller than Mario, as it’s ceiling is at best around $150m.

he's probably talking about the few minutes during which we thought only Morio was moving

15 minutes ago, YourMother said:

If anything Puss 2 saved Shazam, less likely to take PLFs from it and Puss 2 is much smaller than Mario, as it’s ceiling is at best around $150m.

Although I agree that Puss isn't a juggernaut as Mario, I think you're underestimating it. 200M is likely and I wouldn't discard 250M

2 minutes ago, Starphanluke said:

At this point Paramount should pull Transformers back into 2022 and put it in September or something. It would have no major competition (unlike its current date) and it was only pushed out of June 2022 because of scheduling. 

I doubt it. The turnaround for the size of the movie is far too quick.

4 minutes ago, Starphanluke said:

At this point Paramount should pull Transformers back into 2022 and put it in September or something. It would have no major competition (unlike its current date) and it was only pushed out of June 2022 because of scheduling. 

Even if they wanted to, VFX crunch will prevent them from moving it up in any way. And Transformers is a very VFX-heavy franchise.

3 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

Although I agree that Puss isn't a juggernaut as Mario, I think you're underestimating it. 200M is likely and I wouldn't discard 250M

I’d be highly but pleasantly surprised if Puss did that much. A Dreamworks Animation has not pulled those numbers in a decade. The eleven year wait is also probably a detriment as the kids who saw the first in theaters are now teen/adults now (I was one of them). I do think if everything goes right, it can probably gross around a region in between Sing 2 and Into The Spider Verse.

Edited by YourMother

5 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I doubt it. The turnaround for the size of the movie is far too quick.

4 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Even if they wanted to, VFX crunch will prevent them from moving it up in any way. And Transformers is a very VFX-heavy franchise.

Oh yeah. Should've been clear that I don't think it will actually happen, just that I think it would've been smart. 

Although I've heard it was on-track to hit its original June 2022 date before it was delayed. Makes me wonder how far along it is currently.

11 minutes ago, YourMother said:

. The eleven year wait is also probably a detriment as the kids who saw the first in theaters are now teen/adults now (I was one of them).

I think the eleven years are a pro an not a con. The first trailer gained interest from those who grew up with Shrek.