Eric S'ennui

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

Happy about the enthusiastic reception of the footage

I gotta say the ´´pixar returning to form´´ slogan is so tiring at this point tho, and weirdly i keep seeing it even in official reviews for all their movies

it did makes sense to say that when Inside Out or Coco dropped since just recently they was releasing bad movies in a row

but say this after Inside Out / Coco, a bunch of very well made sequels and the punch of Soul / Luca / Turning Red seems so weird ... Lightyear aside, Pixar is only releasing very well received movie for many years now

• Like 3

Their recent movies all have detractors to some degree. Their old ones did too but now that they're not as consistent anymore and the leadership has been in such flux the narrative persists that they have "fallen off"

To be fair no movie before has bombed as badly as Lightyear did so it's reasonable to say they aren't in as ideal a situation as they might have been, and even though their three movies prior were all well received, they didn't get a theatrical release and Pixar probably did take a financial hit from that. Which is why I think there's a lot more riding on this individual movie's performance than there might usually be. They do really need a hit at this point.

Edited by AniNate

12 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Happy about the enthusiastic reception of the footage

I gotta say the ´´pixar returning to form´´ slogan is so tiring at this point tho, and weirdly i keep seeing it even in official reviews for all their movies

it did makes sense to say that when Inside Out or Coco dropped since just recently they was releasing bad movies in a row

but say this after Inside Out / Coco, a bunch of very well made sequels and the punch of Soul / Luca / Turning Red seems so weird ... Lightyear aside, Pixar is only releasing very well received movie for many years now

Yeah. I thought about that after I typed something similar because Lightyear (which I didn't even hate) would be their only misfire recently aside from Onward (which wasn't great but far from horrible). Soul, Luca, Turning Red were all very good.

Elemental does look pure Pixar though a la Inside Out. Just can do so much in that type of world with their animation. Maybe that's what people mean?

• Like 3

Winning cures everything. Lightyear was a misfire and Strange World only made things look more dire for Disney Animation. If this can at least break even or make a profit, that resets the narrative. 

It's growing on me. I still wish animation studios had the bravery to make movies about racial / immigrant themes with actual humans and races in our world, but A) with animation, you can definitely add a ~ twist to it, and B - It's the equivalent of putting peanut butter on a dog pill;

If it's obvious what it is, the GA will probably spit it out and call it "woke" -- It's got to be palatable for them.

• Like 2

Well Sohn has gone on record saying he didn't want to make this a direct allegory for any race. Ymmv on whether that's a good or bad thing I guess.

I think someone like Peter Ramsey or Kemp Powers might be passionate enough about the issue to eventually have the clout to produce something like that, but Sohn strikes me as a much more easygoing dude. 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JWR said:

Winning cures everything. Lightyear was a misfire and Strange World only made things look more dire for Disney Animation. If this can at least break even or make a profit, that resets the narrative. 

I agree, there has been a bit of an anti Disney and Pixar vibe on these parts and I think having both Elemental and Wish be hits will ensure that the Mouse is back on track.

47 minutes ago, Morieris said:

It's growing on me. I still wish animation studios had the bravery to make movies about racial / immigrant themes with actual humans and races in our world, but A) with animation, you can definitely add a ~ twist to it, and B - It's the equivalent of putting peanut butter on a dog pill;

If it's obvious what it is, the GA will probably spit it out and call it "woke" -- It's got to be palatable for them.

Animated films have done the trope of about sides for donkey years, Zootopia comes to mind as well as films like Maleficent.