Eric is Anxious

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

53 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I assume this is probably going to be a huge critical win for Pixar (95%+ RT, 8+ average score, 81+ Metacritic) if they're willing to premiere this at Cannes, because it would really suck if the reviews for this ended up being closer to Onward or Luca than say, Coco, Soul or even Turning Red. Then you would have three weeks of critics saying that it isn't among the better Pixar films... and that wouldn't be great.

Edited by PNF2187

7 minutes ago, PNF2187 said:

I assume this is probably going to be a huge critical win for Pixar (95%+ RT, 8+ average score, 81+ Metacritic) if they're willing to premiere this at Cannes, because it would really suck if the reviews for this ended up being closer to Onward or Luca than say, Coco, Soul or even Turning Red. Then you would have three weeks of critics saying that it isn't among the better Pixar films... and that wouldn't be great.

The only other Pixar films to get a Cannes premiere were Up, Inside Out and Soul (would have screened there if they had Cannes in 2020).

It's definitely a risk to premiere it three weeks earlier than general release but they've probably done more than enough test screenings at this point to be confident it's a winner, and everyone who's seen early footage has been pretty enthusiastic about it. 

Even if it is a gigantic miscalculation I personally would rather my hopes be dashed earlier than deal with that anxiety all the way until release, but I'm pretty sure Pixar knows what they're doing here.

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

The 'Elemental will flop' suspects should be eating humble pie now. 

Honestly, never bet against Pixar and writing them off. 

To be honest, it can still be a vactim of a very crowded marketplace. I just hope if this is indeed a winner, the story will keep it relevant weeks and months after its opening.

Edited by kayumanggi

9 minutes ago, AniNate said:

It's definitely a risk to premiere it three weeks earlier than general release but they've probably done more than enough test screenings at this point to be confident it's a winner, and everyone who's seen early footage has been pretty enthusiastic about it. 

Even if it is a gigantic miscalculation I personally would rather my hopes be dashed earlier than deal with that anxiety all the way until release, but I'm pretty sure Pixar knows what they're doing here.

Getting a Cannes premiere is a huge honour and if it was a flop, it wouldn't have been selected. 

If it's a success, we can pause any suggestions that Pixar's demise is happening.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AniNate said:

My hope is that they ramp up the marketing, promos, and tie ins in May. 

Yeah they´re certainly very confident in quality to send it to Cannes, and that means we´ll get reviews out 3 weeks before release, let´s hope it helps to break the feeling that it´s a generic movie which is what the trailer sell 

They delayed it in a few countries, just yesterday here in Brazil they changed the date to avoid some competition, but in US this is still a very risky date, it turns out fine for Inside Out but Disney sadly put Pixar in a totally different position in the market place in the past years 

They need to ramp up this marketing, this needs to get at least 50M OW, then it could rely on great legs, but it needs to open at least decent 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yeah they´re certainly very confident in quality to send it to Cannes, and that means we´ll get reviews out 3 weeks before release, let´s hope it helps to break the feeling that it´s a generic movie which is what the trailer sell 

They delayed it in a few countries, just yesterday here in Brazil they changed the date to avoid some competition, but in US this is still a very risky date, it turns out fine for Inside Out but Disney sadly put Pixar in a totally different position in the market place in the past years 

They need to ramp up this marketing, this needs to get at least 50M OW, then it could rely on great legs, but it needs to open at least decent 

I doubt they'll delay it in the US because there's nowhere for it to go and Disney aren't putting a Pixar film in September or October.

• Sad 1