Eric is Anxious

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

6 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Gillman two weeks after is what I'm more concerned about. Annoying that DreamWorks insists on that release date for it, seems like it's detrimental to both movies

What's Gillman? I initially read it as Gilliam and got excited and thought he had a major release coming that I wasn't aware of... 

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Ruby Gillman is another Turbo in waiting.

It's most certainly been sent out to die against Indiana Jones. If Universal had any confidence, it would have been released a week later. 

I get The Bad Guys did okay and Puss in Boots was a hit but DWA's track record is patchy and anyone who thinks Ruby Gillman will be a hit is kidding themselves. 

Okay. Watched the Ruby Gillman trailer... Looks like a straight to streaming movie that Dreamworks thought... Well, Little Mermaid drops in late May so let's flip and release our Evil Ariel movie in late June while the mermaid craze is still a thing. Wow. What's gonna be the runtime on that one? 75 minutes or something like that?

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

Ruby Gillman is another Turbo in waiting.

You may be right. Assuming Elemental is lucky enough to have decent wom and legs, it'll probably be the go-to for families this summer.

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I did see a TV spot last night watching hockey. For better or worse, they're locked into June 16 now.

They claimed the date first and that's typically when Pixar films open up, anyways.

9 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I did see a TV spot last night watching hockey. For better or worse, they're locked into June 16 now.

4 minutes ago, JWR said:

They claimed the date first and that's typically when Pixar films open up, anyways.

Disney is an unmovable force. They release movies on specific dates such as the first Friday of March, Father's Day Weekend, and Thanksgiving, and no one can tell them otherwise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

Disney is an unmovable force. They release movies on specific dates such as the first Friday of March, Father's Day Weekend, and Thanksgiving, and no one can tell them otherwise.

I agree plus once you move out of those preferred slots, it's very hard to get them back. 

The one thing that might save this is the fact that it's basically the only option for families in late June/mid July. 

Yes, that's two weeks after Spider-Verse, but I'd consider that more of a "family friendly" movie. Whereas Elemental is catered towards younger or general all ages.

I would've agreed w that if it weren't for Ruby, which is why that movie annoys me.

Ruby's presence at least would just about seal this movie's fate if it is in fact mediocre. Gotta say I would be pretty pessimistic right now if it weren't for the Cannes announcement. They still really haven't shown off much footage that would suggest their usual depth and the lack of general enthusiasm for it save for the few people in this thread is hard to shake off. I don't know if an enthusiastic critical reception can surmount all that, wish they'd give us a little more.

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I would've agreed w that if it weren't for Ruby, which is why that movie annoys me.

Ruby's presence at least would just about seal this movie's fate if it is in fact mediocre. Gotta say I would be pretty pessimistic right now if it weren't for the Cannes announcement. They still really haven't shown off much footage that would suggest their usual depth and the lack of general enthusiasm for it save for the few people in this thread is hard to shake off. I don't know if an enthusiastic critical reception can surmount all that, wish they'd give us a little more.

I don't think Ruby will have any major effect. If the WOM is there, Elemental should do just fine. Unless Ruby Gillman is "Puss in Boots" good, I don't see it overthrowing Elemental as the go-to for families. 

Edited by JWR
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, cannastop said:

no it wouldn't. What if Ruby Gillman is mediocre too.

Honestly, you'd think Ruby Gillman was Mario or Minions the way some go on. Yes it is competition but it's not going to hurt Elemental to such an extent that Disney will pull it out of theaters and straight to Disney+

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cannastop said:

no it wouldn't. What if Ruby Gillman is mediocre too.

If audience enthusiasm isn't that high for Elemental, it's not going to maintain interest when the next animated movie releases

Ok Ruby may not be Mario but it's not Oogieloves either. DreamWorks' last movie did a heck of a lot better than Pixar's, I don't think it should be dismissed as a factor.

Edited by AniNate

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

If audience enthusiasm isn't that high for Elemental, it's not going to maintain interest when the next animated movie releases

Ok Ruby may not be Mario but it's not Oogieloves either. DreamWorks' last movie did a heck of a lot better than Pixar's, I don't think it should be dismissed as a factor.

True. Puss in Boots had better word of mouth and was part of an established franchise. Lightyear was too confusing of a premise for audiences and had tepid word of mouth.

But, weirdly? Ruby Gillman marketing has been radio silent since March.